Venison haunch Vs shoulder...which is it?

Posted 7th Dec 2019Edited by:"sicklysweet"
Can anyone confirm that this is a haunch of venison rather than shoulder?

I was given it but it’s not labelled

It’ll affect the method of cooking tomorrow so advice would be appreciated

Thank you
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
I was down the market the other day, a chap was selling 8 legs of venison for £50.

I thought it easy too dear.
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 7th Dec 2019
7 Comments
39288298-uU1MJ.jpg
I would say it’s not a shoulder, shoulder looks more like a shoulder of lamb and the muscle from this angle looks more like a hindquarter

hehuntsshecooks.com/bre…er/
eslick07/12/2019 18:46

I would say it’s not a shoulder, shoulder looks more like a shoulder of l …I would say it’s not a shoulder, shoulder looks more like a shoulder of lamb and the muscle from this angle looks more like a hindquarterhttp://hehuntsshecooks.com/breaking-it-down-the-venison-hind-quarter/

Thanks eslick, that's a great link, it does look more like the hind/haunch. Less sinue and the shape looks more like it.

Mum and I have been discussing it and googling for 30+ minutes and we swayed towards haunch but weren't entirely sure.
sicklysweet07/12/2019 18:49

Thanks eslick, that's a great link, it does look more like the …Thanks eslick, that's a great link, it does look more like the hind/haunch. Less sinue and the shape looks more like it.Mum and I have been discussing it and googling for 30+ minutes and we swayed towards haunch but weren't entirely sure.

Worked in the meat trade from 12 to 26 many years ago and though I never saw venison whole, from the link and other cuts I would say it’s definitely a hind. If it’s to big try cutting it down from bone you can see at the right side of the photo, there will be a seem that runs nearly straight across from right to left and you should be able to take it off in one joint. That will be good for streaks as will the two pieces that look like they are already cut off on the right side of the photo.

You will enjoy it I am sure
eslick07/12/2019 18:54

Worked in the meat trade from 12 to 26 many years ago and though I never …Worked in the meat trade from 12 to 26 many years ago and though I never saw venison whole, from the link and other cuts I would say it’s definitely a hind. If it’s to big try cutting it down from bone you can see at the right side of the photo, there will be a seem that runs nearly straight across from right to left and you should be able to take it off in one joint. That will be good for streaks as will the two pieces that look like they are already cut off on the right side of the photo.You will enjoy it I am sure

Thanks for all your help, I really do appreciate it as does my mum.

Mum wants to roast it, but I took off the cuts you noticed for steaks.

It was a wonderful gift from a friend who culled and butchered it himself (with a licence), and then I froze it before forgetting exactly what it cut was! Feels rude to ask him as it's 6 months later but we want to do it justice and make the most of it.

I saved it for a treat and special time we needed some spoiling and tomorrow shall be that lucky day!

Last time I saw my friend he offered me a liver....
I was down the market the other day, a chap was selling 8 legs of venison for £50.

I thought it easy too dear.
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 7th Dec 2019
Ringfinger07/12/2019 19:32

I was down the market the other day, a chap was selling 8 legs of venison …I was down the market the other day, a chap was selling 8 legs of venison for £50.I thought it easy too dear.

39288728-HnEvJ.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions