Vertical consoles and cooling

Posted 8th Dec 2019
I'm starting to run out of space on my console shelf, so I want to put the consoles vertical. That worked fine until my Xbone decided to shut down due to overheating.

What would be the best approach to keeping them cool? I guess it's mainly the Xbone and PS4 slim, but with them flanked by a 360 and a PS3 fat I ought to do something with those as well.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
Wish sell a decent cooling stand for about £20.
Pic please
Why would you have an xbox one and xbox 360, are there many worthwhile games which haven't made their way across? I have many retro console but I don't have them all out at once.
JumpMan198008/12/2019 16:48

Pic please

39295255.jpg£20

But if you click buy it now you get it for about 10%off (varies for different accounts). Got ours in November. Pretty smart item. Includes 2 battery packs too. Great value.
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 8th Dec 2019
MIDURIX08/12/2019 16:59

Why would you have an xbox one and xbox 360, are there many worthwhile …Why would you have an xbox one and xbox 360, are there many worthwhile games which haven't made their way across? I have many retro console but I don't have them all out at once.

To be fair the 360 is probably due for retirement, I would just feel quite guilty relegating it to the loft when it's done so much.
Ringfinger08/12/2019 17:04

[Image] £20But if you click buy it now you get it for about 10%off (varies …[Image] £20But if you click buy it now you get it for about 10%off (varies for different accounts). Got ours in November. Pretty smart item. Includes 2 battery packs too. Great value.

Isn't that going to use up about as much space as just lying it flat though? Kind of defeats the point in this instance.
MIDURIX08/12/2019 16:59

Why would you have an xbox one and xbox 360, are there many worthwhile …Why would you have an xbox one and xbox 360, are there many worthwhile games which haven't made their way across? I have many retro console but I don't have them all out at once.

Plenty dont forget 360 has backwards compatibility for original which is much better than Xbox one lineup
MIDURIX08/12/2019 18:20

Isn't that going to use up about as much space as just lying it flat …Isn't that going to use up about as much space as just lying it flat though? Kind of defeats the point in this instance.

Yes, I suppose, but the twin charging, cooling fans and game storage saves some space. The other way to look at it is that the Xbox would need some width to provide stability or it would be very easy to knock over and damage. I know I prefer to have mine on a stable base rather than risk having to buy a new one if it gets knocked.

EDIT : just checked, it's about the same footprint as lasting the X box down.
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 8th Dec 2019
Ringfinger08/12/2019 20:19

The other way to look at it is that the Xbox would need some width to …The other way to look at it is that the Xbox would need some width to provide stability or it would be very easy to knock over and damage. I know I prefer to have mine on a stable base rather than risk having to buy a new one if it gets knocked.EDIT : just checked, it's about the same footprint as lasting the X box down.

The place where I have my consoles is roughly the width of an Xbox, so by the time I have all my consoles stacked up they don't have room to fall over. It's just cooling rather than stability that I have to deal with.

However, I do like the stand and in particular it's height, I reckon I could 3D print 'half' of it and turn that into a stand to lift the console up. Thanks for the pointers.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions