Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Very customer query

Posted 8th Dec 2019
My Dad opened a new account of o could use the £50 new customer offer to buy an I watch for my daughter. Very now want to speak to him about the order (the money has been taken out of my account)
He has since remembered that he had a very old account with them that he didn’t pay off. He had a massive car injury in 2011 so has brain damage and it clearly hadn’t occurred to him. Are they entitled to keep my money?
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
(In their eyes) it’s not your money. It’s his. They’re owed money by him. So they’ll likely say ‘thank you very much’. Although you probably know that, by now.
Think Limitation Act 1980 states statute barred debt is usually over 6 years, except possibly if you live in Scotland. citizensadvice.org.uk/deb…bt/
Maybe the reason for Very's contact is Very noticing a payment has been received from a source that is not obviously related to the Very accountholder, which may require (non)laundering clarification.
deleted1471098
As above. They may now also come after him for the rest of the money owed if that hasn’t covered it.
As long as your dad hasn't spoke to Very or acknowledged the old debt in the last 6 years they can't come after it, well they can be your Dad should just say he does not acknowledge it exists. The chances are as already pointed out it has nothing to do with the old debt.
Azwipe08/12/2019 13:32

As long as your dad hasn't spoke to Very or acknowledged the old debt in …As long as your dad hasn't spoke to Very or acknowledged the old debt in the last 6 years they can't come after it, well they can be your Dad should just say he does not acknowledge it exists. The chances are as already pointed out it has nothing to do with the old debt.

You were right. It was an admin error. Bless my Dad was terrified. I also found the old paperwork which confirms a letter from Littlewoods (as opposed to Very) that the account debt was wiped after the accident.
Rune_2H08/12/2019 14:44

Comment deleted

He had a life changing car accident which meant he could no longer work. There was no point on their part harassing him for something they were never going to get paid
it sounds like you have set up a new credit account in your dad's name to buy your daughter a watch, to take advantage of the new customer discount, without realising that he has a debt with them. they have now cottoned on that it is a duplicate account and that there is debt still outstanding on the previous account.

i don't know if the 6 years rule of debt being wiped off will apply when it comes to a credit account as that is continuing to accrue interest and so the timing of the debt is less distinct. otherwise an outstanding mortgage or long term loan would never be recoverable after 6 years.
mutley108/12/2019 16:40

it sounds like you have set up a new credit account in your dad's name to …it sounds like you have set up a new credit account in your dad's name to buy your daughter a watch, to take advantage of the new customer discount, without realising that he has a debt with them. they have now cottoned on that it is a duplicate account and that there is debt still outstanding on the previous account.i don't know if the 6 years rule of debt being wiped off will apply when it comes to a credit account as that is continuing to accrue interest and so the timing of the debt is less distinct. otherwise an outstanding mortgage or long term loan would never be recoverable after 6 years.

Wrong

it sounds like you have set up a new credit account in your dad's name to …it sounds like you have set up a new credit account in your dad's name to buy your daughter a watch, to take advantage of the new customer discount, without realising that he has a debt with them. they have now cottoned on that it is a duplicate account and that there is debt still outstanding on the previous account.i don't know if the 6 years rule of debt being wiped off will apply when it comes to a credit account as that is continuing to accrue interest and so the timing of the debt is less distinct. otherwise an outstanding mortgage or long term loan would never be recoverable after 6 years.

Well I hate to disappoint you but I wasn’t on the fiddle. My Dad set up the account to get my daughter the gift I couldn’t afford to get her but, due to his brain injury, forgot that he had ever had an account with them.
They were fab on the phone. The actual error was that he had put his date of birth in incorrectly (he had forgotten when his birthday was but was too embarrassed to ask us.) They sorted everything out for him.
hotphoenix3008/12/2019 17:00

Well I hate to disappoint you but I wasn’t on the fiddle. My Dad set up t …Well I hate to disappoint you but I wasn’t on the fiddle. My Dad set up the account to get my daughter the gift I couldn’t afford to get her but, due to his brain injury, forgot that he had ever had an account with them.They were fab on the phone. The actual error was that he had put his date of birth in incorrectly (he had forgotten when his birthday was but was too embarrassed to ask us.) They sorted everything out for him.

i am not disappointed, why would you think that i am?

there is nothing wrong with you setting up an account in your dad's name if he has no objection to you using his details. i do so for my dad and never have any issue. anyway, now that this is resolved, you can expire the thread as it is no longer a question.
People are wrong about the 6 years. After 6 years and no contact it will come off your credit file. But that doesn’t mean you stop owning the money, unless you go bankrupt or use a Iva you will still owe the money...

just explaining how it works and not saying about your thread...
Bargainhead08/12/2019 19:54

People are wrong about the 6 years. After 6 years and no contact it will …People are wrong about the 6 years. After 6 years and no contact it will come off your credit file. But that doesn’t mean you stop owning the money, unless you go bankrupt or use a Iva you will still owe the money...just explaining how it works and not saying about your thread...

This is spot on, if you do not acknowledge the debt for 6 years from the last payment made on the account it becomes statute barred, however you still owe the money and they can still ask for it, however you are not obliged to pay
Bargainhead08/12/2019 19:54

People are wrong about the 6 years. After 6 years and no contact it will …People are wrong about the 6 years. After 6 years and no contact it will come off your credit file. But that doesn’t mean you stop owning the money, unless you go bankrupt or use a Iva you will still owe the money...just explaining how it works and not saying about your thread...

6yrs+ = creditor is legally barred from enforcing its collection, where "enforcing" is the key term.

...otherwise an outstanding mortgage or long term loan would never be …...otherwise an outstanding mortgage or long term loan would never be recoverable after 6 years.

Section 20 (1) Limitation Act 1980: mortgage statute bar = "...expiration of twelve years from the date on which the right to receive the money accrued."
AndyRoyd09/12/2019 06:01

6yrs+ = creditor is legally barred from enforcing its collection, where …6yrs+ = creditor is legally barred from enforcing its collection, where "enforcing" is the key term.

They can’t enforce it unless the have a court order already... but it crazy people owe money then just don’t pay it should stay on credit file till it’s paid that way these people can’t keep getting into debt...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions