Very frequent nosebleeds - advice please?

Posted 22nd May
Hello hotukdealers

Over the past 3 days I've had at least one nosebleed in the day.

I have a nosebleed infection which makes me prone to frequent nosebleeds

On Tuesday I had a nosebleed at 1:30am - and it lasted about an hour. Thankfully I hadn't actually gone to sleep when they happened as I had a late night gaming session with a friend online, it would've been a lot worse waking up to it. At the end of this particular nosebleed, the bathroom pretty much looked like a scene from a horror movie.

On Wednesday, I had a nosebleed whilst I was on my daily dog walk. Annoyingly I hadn't brought tissues so had to literally just let it drip all the way until I got home - about half an hour (oh boy did that sting!). I did pass shops on the way home from the park and if I didn't have the dogs, I could've bought tissues. Those newsagents are not dog friendly in any way, shape or form (not even guide dog friendly which I'm certain is illegal? That's a topic for another discussion though)

On Thursday and today I woke up with nosebleeds that also lasted about half an hour. I also had another nosebleed just a few minutes ago, only for about 15 minutes though

As I have been confirmed to have an actual nosebleed infection, I have been told to contact my doctor if I get very frequent nosebleeds several days in a row. Following that advice, I did, however I was told that due to COVID-19 they can't help with someone constantly having nosebleeds unless they don't stop after a minimum of 3 hours - as it isn't an urgent issue

Does anyone have any advice on how to try and stop the nosebleeds having as frequently? I accept I can't stop them for good given the infection but getting them every single day is just really irritating.

Thank you in advance for any helpful comments
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Go to the doctor.
28 Comments
Found that when it's really hot can be a lot more prone to them. Not much can do about that unfortunately though.
Whoohoo22/05/2020 13:03

Found that when it's really hot can be a lot more prone to them. Not much …Found that when it's really hot can be a lot more prone to them. Not much can do about that unfortunately though.

Yep it has been very hot lately and it is right now, I have been trying to avoid the sun (I don't really like that weather anyway, call me crazy but I prefer rain and snow any day!!)
Go to the doctor.
Adam_C-82b30.6486622/05/2020 13:05

Go to the doctor.

Very succibctly put and the best advice the OP will ever get - or dial 111 and see what they say.
tardytortoise22/05/2020 13:09

Very succibctly put and the best advice the OP will ever get - or dial 111 …Very succibctly put and the best advice the OP will ever get - or dial 111 and see what they say.

I can't contact the doctor regarding this, as they have told me it isn't an urgent issue unless the nosebleed doesn't stop after at least 3 hours. They said it's due to COVID-19 that they can't help unless that's the case.
andrewworrall122/05/2020 13:10

I can't contact the doctor regarding this, as they have told me it isn't …I can't contact the doctor regarding this, as they have told me it isn't an urgent issue unless the nosebleed doesn't stop after at least 3 hours. They said it's due to COVID-19 that they can't help unless that's the case.

So, you have contacted the doctor! Great! And they have given you advice.
I would leave it there then. Unless it gets worse, then just contact them again.
I have an issue nosebleeds due to a weak blood vessel in the nose. I have spells where I get them very frequently, as in every day, and they can go for weeks without one. It makes me think twice about blowing my nose sometimes! I’m not sure what advice I can give you in your case as it sounds like you have a different cause to yours. I do know that some things can set mine off such as going from a cold environment to a hot one, or even just putting on say a warm jumper and hat can do it. As mentioned before blowing your nose too hard can start them. I find that the best thing to do to stop them once they have started is to take a layer or two off and lie down for a bit (though if yours are very heavy that might not work in the same way). I’ve always found that the advice to pinch the nose in a certain way does absolutely nothing for me personally.
Have you taken your blood pressure? Nosebleeds can often be associated with HBP.
My son suffers with nosebleeds especially when it’s hot. He’s been prescribed a cream called Naseptin to use and the doctors have also talked about cauterising his blood vessels to try and minimise the bleeds... but they were reluctant to do this last year as he’s only 15.
andrewworrall122/05/2020 13:10

I can't contact the doctor regarding this, as they have told me it isn't …I can't contact the doctor regarding this, as they have told me it isn't an urgent issue unless the nosebleed doesn't stop after at least 3 hours. They said it's due to COVID-19 that they can't help unless that's the case.

Can’t be true. GPs are largely sat around doing nothing working from home, with a few in the surgery. They’ve never been quieter
Hayfever?
andrewworrall122/05/2020 13:05

Yep it has been very hot lately and it is right now, I have been trying to …Yep it has been very hot lately and it is right now, I have been trying to avoid the sun (I don't really like that weather anyway, call me crazy but I prefer rain and snow any day!!)

I'm with you there, bring on the autumn
About twenty years ago I went through a phase of having spontaneous nosebleeds for months (they would happen randomly, one memorable time was me walking around TK Maxx, blam, blood all over my jacket, it was embarrassing!). It was a period when I was doing nightshift, hardly sleeping and quite stressed out.

My doctor inspected my nose and gave me some sort of nasal spray to stop the bleeds, he had tested my blood pressure beforehand and all was fine.

It didn't happen when life returned to "normal" but suppose it's worth pointing out stress and sleep deprivation can do it to some people.
Whoohoo22/05/2020 14:10

I'm with you there, bring on the autumn

My favourite times of year are definitely Fall and Winter
jpoolfitz22/05/2020 14:07

Hayfever?

I don't have Hayfever (or last time I checked I didn't) but that could've contributed towards the nosebleeds if I did I suppose, thanks
Sorry if I haven't replied to everyone but thanks for the comments all. I appreciate the comments and advice given
My mum had nosebleeds in the end went to hospital to have it cortorised.
when i was younger my nose would bleed occasionally for years and i never really got too worried about it. it went away by itself but nowadays, I get very bad nose bleed if I have a runny nose from a very bad cold. I know the cold is bad when my nose bleeds.
For some reason my comment about going to the doctor was removed because it was unsuitable content? Weird. I meant it in the most genuine sense. Don’t ask on here, contact your GP or call 111.
You should be using your doctor as you normally would for such symptoms.
jpoolfitz22/05/2020 14:07

Hayfever?

I’d second this. Same problem a few years ago, went to the quack, hayfever, take antihistamines now and not had any problems since.
Random thing to try but i get regular nasal infections too...salt water nasal spray. It helps me & can be picked up in Boots. It also helps with hayfever!
Littlemunckin22/05/2020 20:02

Random thing to try but i get regular nasal infections too...salt water …Random thing to try but i get regular nasal infections too...salt water nasal spray. It helps me & can be picked up in Boots. It also helps with hayfever!

Is it Sterimar you use? I had that a while ago, it seemed to make the situation worse by creating more nosebleeds. Thanks though
andrewworrall122/05/2020 20:05

Is it Sterimar you use? I had that a while ago, it seemed to make the …Is it Sterimar you use? I had that a while ago, it seemed to make the situation worse by creating more nosebleeds. Thanks though

Yes thats the one. I'm sorry to hear it didn't help. I hope you get it sorted soon!
Littlemunckin22/05/2020 20:08

Yes thats the one. I'm sorry to hear it didn't help. I hope you get it …Yes thats the one. I'm sorry to hear it didn't help. I hope you get it sorted soon!

Thanks. Sterimar is what I was advised to use by my doctor - I think just over a year ago but I had to stop using it because the doctor said if the nosebleeds get worse after using the product to discontinue use of it. It was quite a while ago so maybe I'd be okay to use it now, I'm not sure to be honest
I had a lot of nosebleeds some years ago. I was having other medical issues and taking a dose of Asprin every day, it was the asprin. Stopped the asprin and I haven't had a single nosebleed since (touches wood). Are you taking anything that may be making you more prone?
bascule22/05/2020 20:52

I had a lot of nosebleeds some years ago. I was having other medical …I had a lot of nosebleeds some years ago. I was having other medical issues and taking a dose of Asprin every day, it was the asprin. Stopped the asprin and I haven't had a single nosebleed since (touches wood). Are you taking anything that may be making you more prone?

I am using Vaporub (Vicks) when the above of my top lip (but not directly beneath my nose) feels sore. I have used Vaporub several times before with no issues so I doubt it is that to be honest. I don't use a lot as well
what do you mean by nosebleed infection?

Do you mean that you have a respiratory tract infection which is making you blow your nose a lot and making it bleed?

If yes, then treat the respiratory infection. (Ring your GP and get some antibiotics.)

If you mean that you have frequent nose bleeds, then it would be sensible to discuss possible causes with your GP

- Blood clotting problems due to liver disease or blood thinner medications (Warfarin, apixiban, clopodogrel etc)

- Raised blood pressure

- other blood problems can predispose to this. Abnormal calcium, low platelets, myeloma (rare) etc

This article offers some sensible advice

medicalnewstoday.com/art…823
Helpful56722/05/2020 21:21

what do you mean by nosebleed infection?Do you mean that you have a …what do you mean by nosebleed infection?Do you mean that you have a respiratory tract infection which is making you blow your nose a lot and making it bleed?If yes, then treat the respiratory infection. (Ring your GP and get some antibiotics.)If you mean that you have frequent nose bleeds, then it would be sensible to discuss possible causes with your GP- Blood clotting problems due to liver disease or blood thinner medications (Warfarin, apixiban, clopodogrel etc)- Raised blood pressure- other blood problems can predispose to this. Abnormal calcium, low platelets, myeloma (rare) etcThis article offers some sensible advicehttps://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/164823

All I was told is I have a "nosebleed infection", I wasn't made aware of any other name for it.

By "nosebleed infection", I mean I have nosebleeds a lot. They sometimes last minutes, sometimes an hour, they just happen at random. I don't always get any signs of a nosebleed coming either - for example I don't usually get a stuffed up nose before a nosebleed etc.

Thanks for the advice and link as well, I appreciate it
Edited by: "andrewworrall1" 22nd May
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions