Groups
    EXPIRED

Very Noisy Graphics Card - Help

Hiya.

I am using a Radeon 4550 with passive cooling. In the past month or so, it's gotten very noisy. Playing any game and it emits a lot of whistling.

I've taken it out, cleaned it etc, doesn't seem to help. Using ATI's Catalyst Controller, under the load of any game, the temperature is about 65C. Is that too hot?

I've had it about 7 months but the warranty has me sending it back, waiting 10 days, etc, which is a huge nuisance. Is there anything I can do to, basically, shut it up?! Any sort of better cooler?

Thanks,

AV

9 Comments

Original Poster

tonyg1962;6886991

How can it be making a noise if it is passive and has no moving parts,65 … How can it be making a noise if it is passive and has no moving parts,65 degrees isnt too hot,

No idea. It's a whistling sort of noise. Whistling, hissing, sizzling pick one. Not that of a fan.

I'm 95% sure it's my graphics card. I thought it was my HDD first and have replaced that, to no luck. I listened closely and it sounds like the gfx card. I unplugged that and worked onboard and the sound had gone.

65 degrees isnt to hot but do you have plenty of a circulating through the case ?.The GPU temp may be ok but the capacitors and memory may be getting too hot,

Original Poster

tonyg1962;6887079

65 degrees isnt to hot but do you have plenty of a circulating through … 65 degrees isnt to hot but do you have plenty of a circulating through the case ?.The GPU temp may be ok but the capacitors and memory may be getting too hot,

I have the PSU fan, CPU fan and a case fan. I think the temperature inside is around 40C or so.

AV1985;6887072

No idea. It's a whistling sort of noise. Whistling, hissing, sizzling … No idea. It's a whistling sort of noise. Whistling, hissing, sizzling pick one. Not that of a fan.I'm 95% sure it's my graphics card. I thought it was my HDD first and have replaced that, to no luck. I listened closely and it sounds like the gfx card. I unplugged that and worked onboard and the sound had gone.

Capacitors can make a whistling noise ,Whether this is because of heat or simply because your card is dying i couldnt tell you, May be best to return it and make the best of the warranty,Passive cards arent always a good idea as you still need plenty of airflow to make them work,

Original Poster

tonyg1962;6887091

Capacitors can make a whistling noise ,Whether this is because of heat or … Capacitors can make a whistling noise ,Whether this is because of heat or simply because your card is dying i couldnt tell you, May be best to return it and make the best of the warranty,Passive cards arent always a good idea as you still need plenty of airflow to make them work,

Under warranty they are just going to replace like for like. But the bigger problem is that it'll take 2 weeks (it's Scan) and to go that long without a graphics card... ouch.

AV1985;6887159

Under warranty they are just going to replace like for like. But the … Under warranty they are just going to replace like for like. But the bigger problem is that it'll take 2 weeks (it's Scan) and to go that long without a graphics card... ouch.

Yeah but problem is it will probably die a soon as the warranty runs out anyway and then your stuck.

Original Poster

tonyg1962;6887200

Yeah but problem is it will probably die a soon as the warranty runs out … Yeah but problem is it will probably die a soon as the warranty runs out anyway and then your stuck.

Definitely think it's a case of dying soon? I was considering selling it on.

No guarantee that a replacement will serve any better though right?

AV1985;6887209

Definitely think it's a case of dying soon? I was considering selling it … Definitely think it's a case of dying soon? I was considering selling it on.No guarantee that a replacement will serve any better though right?

It may be a good time to upgrade and then sell the replacement card when it arrives,There is a small chance that it is your PSU as these are known to whistle when struggling but i wouldnt have thought that a 4550 would add much strain on your PSU, Unless of course it is a really underpowered PSU,

Original Poster

tonyg1962;6887239

It may be a good time to upgrade and then sell the replacement card when … It may be a good time to upgrade and then sell the replacement card when it arrives,There is a small chance that it is your PSU as these are known to whistle when struggling but i wouldnt have thought that a 4550 would add much strain on your PSU, Unless of course it is a really underpowered PSU,

It's a modular 650W PSU. Should be ok!

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
    1. Ditched Sky1214
    2. Best 40 inch TV for £30056
    3. Biscuit addiction1231
    4. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1325

See more discussions