Groups

Very Old Laptop - Would more ram Help?

Hi Guys and Girls

Basically I have a very very old laptop, that my other half only wants to use purely for the Internet as hers has broken.

It’s a 300MHZ, with 64Mb of ram (I know, shocking!!) I have loaded MircoXP on it and it runs surprisingly

It loads the internet fine, but when you are scrolling pages it jumps about and does not do it smoothly, now is this the ram or more the processor? Don’t want to bother buying and fitting ram if its more the processor, and yes I know 300MHZ is shocking and 15 years old.

It is just for the internet, nothing else at all.

15 Comments

Don't bother with it, buy a 2nd hand Netbook for ~ £70 to £100.

summoner is right.. What you'll pay for new ram or processor you can get a netbook for example

Get rid of MicroXP and install a light weight linux distro something like puppy or deli linux and things should improve. What Ram does it take? I may have some old sticks lying about.

If she wants to play games such as farmville, then the processor is your problem, if she is just looking at message boards like this, then it is the RAM.

Have you updated to the latest browser? They take a lot more RAM these days. I would try downgrading your browser to a really old one first, that would be easiest/cheapest solution.

Original Poster

Thanks for the replies guys.

I dont think she plays farmville, think she plays one of the games on facebook but not sure.

I thought about linux but am worried about getting the driver for the wifi stick i have. Have installed linux before in college a few years back but never really used it.

It takes 144 pin, 66mhz ram, very slow!! Just ordered some off ebay for £12, 2 x 128MB sticks. Might be ok!

Original Poster

What would be better, puppy linux or deli?

Original Poster

hooray290

If she wants to play games such as farmville, then the processor is your … If she wants to play games such as farmville, then the processor is your problem, if she is just looking at message boards like this, then it is the RAM.Have you updated to the latest browser? They take a lot more RAM these days. I would try downgrading your browser to a really old one first, that would be easiest/cheapest solution.

What browser would you say is best? That would still load sites?

ladders

What browser would you say is best? That would still load sites?

Opera?

Original Poster

bassman_uk

Opera?

Tried to install that and just kept crashing for some unknown reason.

IE5? haha.

Internet Explorer 5.0 for 32-bit Windows Operating Systems [29]

* Minimum Requirements: 486DX/66 MHz or higher, Windows 95/98, 12MB RAM, 56MB disk space

the laptop will never be amazing but yes more ram would help the situation.

ladders

Thanks for the replies guys.I dont think she plays farmville, think she … Thanks for the replies guys.I dont think she plays farmville, think she plays one of the games on facebook but not sure.I thought about linux but am worried about getting the driver for the wifi stick i have. Have installed linux before in college a few years back but never really used it.It takes 144 pin, 66mhz ram, very slow!! Just ordered some off ebay for £12, 2 x 128MB sticks. Might be ok!

Think i've got some at home.

I've used puppy linux on a similar machine and it runs pretty sweet, Deli should also run nicely as your machine is above min spec.

Original Poster

DVS_Dee.

How would you go about installing the drivers for the USB Stick for WIFI?

Original Poster

dcx_badass

I've got two laptops with those specs, not used them for years.

Not exactly top notch are they.

Only have it as it was left outside for about two years (under a lean too thingy), somehow still magically works

ladders

DVS_Dee. How would you go about installing the drivers for the USB Stick … DVS_Dee. How would you go about installing the drivers for the USB Stick for WIFI?

What model is the wifi dongle? Chances are it may well work straight out the box (at least i know with puppy usb detection is pretty good). Otherwise you may be able to d/l them from the manufacturers website. If you do install it and run into issues gimme a shout I'll see if I can help.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 892529
      2. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…66
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764306
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846211

See more discussions