Very slow Virgin Media Internet speed for evenings

Found 31st Mar 2017
Awful Virgin Media Internet speed during evening times (5-9pm).
Out that time the speed is 15-30Mb/sek minimum.
What other reliable provider can have better speed for evening times ?
Community Updates
19 Comments
I'm with bt, have infinity 2, brilliant, no speed drops , and our house hammers the wifi !!!!
My Virgin Media is also very slow tonight, and connection keeps on dropping more than usual
No point asking here as you're better asking your neighbours. It depends on a few factors your end, see what people near you are getting from different providers.
Eden0032

My Virgin Media is also very slow tonight, and connection keeps on … My Virgin Media is also very slow tonight, and connection keeps on dropping more than usual

220mb here, most people around me are on dsl so cable is quick.
How often do you reset or restart your router? Do it at least once per week if you don't already
If you're getting slow speeds on an evening, your local node is likely over utilised and won't get any better any time soon. I was with Virgin for six months last year, on an evening I would get <1mb so I complained each month and got a bill credit. When I left, I'd never paid a penny and got an £8 refund

I've now got BT Infinity, and it's been faultless - throw in (what was) free BT Sports, a £150 pre-paid card and £130 cash back and I'm very happy (even after the price rises)
Toon_army

How often do you reset or restart your router? Do it at least once per … How often do you reset or restart your router? Do it at least once per week if you don't already

Sorry, this is bad advice, you shouldn't have to restart your router - if you're having to, there's something wrong with your line or your set up. Try changing the channels, fixing ip's etc
What speed VM service are you on?

If you are speed testing on wifi, you need to test with an ethernet cable instead for a true reading. If you get a high speed rating on ethernet connection, you will know it is other factors disrupting your wifi signal.

I had quite a few speed issues, but changing the channels to get one with less interference has helped.

It is unfortunately trial and error.
So, BT Infinity recon ? What is the evening speed ?
What about SKY ?
mango.carrot

If you're getting slow speeds on an evening, your local node is likely … If you're getting slow speeds on an evening, your local node is likely over utilised and won't get any better any time soon. I was with Virgin for six months last year, on an evening I would get <1mb so I complained each month and got a bill credit. When I left, I'd never paid a penny and got an £8 refund I've now got BT Infinity, and it's been faultless - throw in (what was) free BT Sports, a £150 pre-paid card and £130 cash back and I'm very happy (even after the price rises)

Sounds like you went through a similar situation to me.

I left and joined sky though and it's been superb. Zero issues.

I agree with Phoenix, ask your neighbours.
This advice is a little late for OP but when you buy Virginmedia broadband it's a good idea to ask the salesman about this problem, if it becomes an issue then you can break the contract due to it being mis-sold.
benasipro

So, BT Infinity recon ? What is the evening speed ? What about SKY ?

I just speed tested my sky, I pay for 38mb.
Ping -14 Download - 31mb Upload 12mb
> this is with one of my lads watching YouTube, the other streaming on his PS4 and the missus on FB.

The thing I've noticed, my speed on sky compared to similar speeds on VM seems a lot faster (I did have over utilisation issues though ) - maybe I'm just imagining it.
If it's 5-9 you will be on traffic management as those are peek hours and i bet you on 50 meg
bigack

If it's 5-9 you will be on traffic management as those are peek hours … If it's 5-9 you will be on traffic management as those are peek hours and i bet you on 50 meg

rubbish...no Traffic management on virgin packages 30Mbps and above....they will restrict upload speeds for very heavy uploaders...(so basically anyone seeding a lot of torrents) otherwise there is NO traffic management on Virgin broadband.
my.virginmedia.com/tra…tml

OP is probably in an over saturated area and is suffering from contention due to there not being enough capacity.
Needs to take daily screenshots of speedtests carried out using a cable connection for evidence to supply to virgin. Thats the only way they will listen and either improve the speed or discount the bill.

My household is a heavy usage one...hundreds of GB per month (I have four kids!)

My speedtest right now..
http://www.speedtest.net/result/6179802412.png

Its all down to capacity in the area you live in...nothing more

Edited by: "Uridium" 31st Mar 2017
I am not on traffic management, using less than 20GB/month.
My neighbours have the same problem with VM
Not necessarily over subscribed cabinet, I had a period where I was getting terrible intermittent speeds, very high packet loss at random times etc.
The cabinet opposite my house is the final cabinet in a chain, the fault for me was engineers tinkering with upstream cabinets had a downstream knock on effect with signal levels.
Some very helpful mods on virgin media forums analysed readings I took from my CM and booked in an engineer to install what looked like an inline resistor/balun or similar.
Had to get several visits to variously remove / change for different strength gizmos as the signal strength kept changing.
Also had some issues when the local backbone was being upgraded, tech support didn't have information on the works and the problems went away once I got speed increase (i.e. Work was completed)
On other occasions speed issues stemmed from the CM not being able to handle new speeds or protocols and just required a replacement CM to latest model - I had to ask for one rather than being automatically offered it.
Or it could be oversubscribed cabinet.
Uridium

rubbish...no Traffic management on virgin packages 30Mbps and … rubbish...no Traffic management on virgin packages 30Mbps and above....they will restrict upload speeds for very heavy uploaders...(so basically anyone seeding a lot of torrents) otherwise there is NO traffic management on Virgin broadband.https://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy-30Mb-or-higher.htmlOP is probably in an over saturated area and is suffering from contention due to there not being enough capacity.Needs to take daily screenshots of speedtests carried out using a cable connection for evidence to supply to virgin. Thats the only way they will listen and either improve the speed or discount the bill.My household is a heavy usage one...hundreds of GB per month (I have four kids!)My speedtest right now...Its all down to capacity in the area you live in...nothing more

Trust me pal I no 5-9 till virgin slow people down in heavy areas to help rest of people in that area
I'd take it up with Virgin before changing provider.

But I think most fibre providers no longer carry fair use. I know Sky, BT, Talk Talk do not have any traffic management or anything.
bigack

Trust me pal I no 5-9 till virgin slow people down in heavy areas to … Trust me pal I no 5-9 till virgin slow people down in heavy areas to help rest of people in that area

That isn't traffic management, it's contention. its not deliberate slowing down of connections by VM it is traffic being slowed down due to lack of network bandwidth caused by over populated areas of the network
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants