Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 89

Editor 29
Found 18th Aug 2017
Such sad news RIP Bruce you legend. (via Sky News)

2767965-XHnfW.jpg
Veteran TV presenter Sir Bruce Forsyth has died at the age of 89.

He was an all-singing, all-dancing star of British stage and screen for over 75 years.

The game show host, famous for his "nice to see you, to see you nice" catchphrase, even held the record for having the longest television career for a male entertainer.

That career in show business began when he was just 14 when he launched his song, dance and accordion act, Boy Bruce, The Mighty Atom.

The Edmonton-born star had decided to train in dance after watching Hollywood films starring Fred Astaire.

He performed throughout World War Two and travelled the UK with pantomimes and circuses where he became known for his strong-man act.

He returned to Saturday night BBC television in 2004 when he co-presented Strictly Come Dancing, which fought an ongoing ratings battle with ITV's The X Factor.

Sir Bruce was able to "keep dancing" until 2014, when he formally stepped down from hosting the live show due to the long studio hours.

As his TV commitments decreased, the 88-year-old could often be found on the golf course next to his home or with his wife Wilnelia, the 1975 Miss World champion from Puerto Rico.

But it was hard to keep the national treasure out of the spotlight. He appeared on the Avalon stage at Glastonbury Festival in 2013 and recorded a special Christmas message for his Strictly fans in December 2015.

In the same year, he underwent surgery after suffering two life-threatening aneurysms.

As tributes pour in for the star, there is one thing everyone will agree on: "Didn't he do well?!".
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
RIP Sir Bruce
One of the best of a generation.

RIP Sir you'll be missed by many.
Editor
It was nice to see him, to see him nice... Legend
Nooooooooo!!! Not Brucie
29 Comments
RIP Sir Bruce
One of the best of a generation.

RIP Sir you'll be missed by many.
Editor
It was nice to see him, to see him nice... Legend
Nooooooooo!!! Not Brucie
I'm the leader of the pack which makes me such a lucky jack

May Brucie RIP and that he entertains everyone upstairs
Edited by: "summerof76" 18th Aug 2017
A true legend who will not be forgotten. RIP Bruce.
RIP Bruce, one of a kind.

Grew up watching The Generation Game and Play your cards Right.

Didn't make it in America but at least he got to appear in one episode of Magnum.
Edited by: "Speculator" 18th Aug 2017
Noooo. R.I.P. Brucie.
Speculator1 m ago

RIP Bruce, one of a kind.Grew up watching The Generation Game and Play …RIP Bruce, one of a kind.Grew up watching The Generation Game and Play your cards Right.Didn't make it in America but at least he got to appear in one episode of Magnum.

America’s loss. He was a true legend.
How old was he? 80? higher? higher?
Rest In Peace Was always nice to see you
"Didn't he do well"

RIP
Aw loved him. Very sad. RIP Brucie x
Destard50 m ago

How old was he? 80? higher? higher?

89. He did some great shows over the years, and I loved Play Your Cards Right. RIP Bruce, you will be missed.
How long before "he touched my boobs back in '78" comes out?
groenleader11 m ago

Unlikely.
I bet everyone was doing their best to dig into his past, given all the Jimmy Saville-esque scandals associated with almost everyone else on TV from his generation. If they haven't found anything by now then it's unlikely they will.
Edited by: "Bestard" 18th Aug 2017
Banned
A TRUE ALL ROUND ENTERTAINER not like the idiotic air heads they have nowadays who freeze when the auto-cue goes wrong.
livesf2 h, 4 m ago

89. He did some great shows over the years, and I loved Play Your Cards …89. He did some great shows over the years, and I loved Play Your Cards Right. RIP Bruce, you will be missed.

That was the TV highlight of my week Brilliant work making such a simple game so entertaining
RIP to a proper entertainer and icon.
deeky21 m ago

That was the TV highlight of my week Brilliant work making such a …That was the TV highlight of my week Brilliant work making such a simple game so entertaining

Carly Carter and Debbie Flett made the simple game so entertaining.....

31725549-cf14S.jpg
Can't believe he's gone! RIP Brucie!
Unbelievably sad, thinking back he will be an integral part of many of our childhood entertainment TV memories, whether born in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and even into the noughties.
It's crazy to think he has worked ever since WW2.
groenleader2 h, 19 m ago

You get nothing for a pair, not in this game
Brilliant entertainer for so many years.

Just a pity that he sacrificed too much of his duties as husband and parent to maintain his fame though.
reddit4 m ago

Brilliant entertainer for so many years.Just a pity that he sacrificed too …Brilliant entertainer for so many years.Just a pity that he sacrificed too much of his duties as husband and parent to maintain his fame though.

You are my favourite
Sad loss.
You did it your way.............Thanks Brucie we all have a lot to learn from you........God Bless you...... We mourn a True Gentleman and the most brilliant entertainer.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants