Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that alwight?

Banned 12
Found 18th Aug 2017
Judge backs Michael Barrymore in damages claim against police

I remember Barrymore leaving his wife and manager of years and she apparently didn't know he was gay, nor did he. Swanning round when he did come out and humiliating his wife.

Some young bloke was found in his swimming pool, dead after a drug fuelled party at his house. When the police arrived Barrymore was nowhere to be seen. And the corpse had evidence of anal penetration.

In no way am I suggesting Barrymore had anything to do with or knows anything about this corpse in his swimming pool. I do struggle to answer why he wasn't at his house when the police arrived.

Anyone have any ideas?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments

Seems you are assuming what the police assumed. At the time Barrymore was one of the highest paid in TV entertainment. The way the police investigated the death and fed information to the press resulted in Barrymore's career ending in real terms. They also tried to do the same to Cliff Richard, both got payments and rightly so,

In fact you might be surprised how much the police cost us with the way the do their job, it runs into many hundreds of millions a year. And till they are told to solve crimes and not merely try to pin them on the first name that pops in their head it'll continue.
Edited by: "4TheMenyNotTheFew" 20th Aug 2017
12 Comments

Original Poster Banned

These are the pertinent questions in the article, not withstanding that Barrymore was nowhere near when Stuart Lubbock's body was found - he did a runner....

"Barrymore was arrested and detained in June 2007 on suspicion of the rape and murder of Stuart Lubbock, 31, who was found in the swimming pool at the star’s Roydon home six years earlier.

He was released without charge the following September after the Crown Prosecution Service decided there was insufficient evidence to justify charging him or anyone else with any offences relating to Lubbock’s death.

Stuart Lubbock. Photograph: Essex police/PA Lubbock died in hospital after a party at Barrymore’s home on 31 March 2001. A postmortem showed he had suffered severe anal injuries that could have been the result of a sexual attack. Ecstasy and cocaine were also found in his system and he was nearly three times the drink-drive limit when he died, tests found.

Two of the guests at the party were arrested on suspicion of murder and later released without charge. Barrymore was not treated as a suspect at the time, although he accepted a caution for possession of cannabis."

He wasn't treated as a suspect becuase he was nowhere to be seen. Hmmm

Seems you are assuming what the police assumed. At the time Barrymore was one of the highest paid in TV entertainment. The way the police investigated the death and fed information to the press resulted in Barrymore's career ending in real terms. They also tried to do the same to Cliff Richard, both got payments and rightly so,

In fact you might be surprised how much the police cost us with the way the do their job, it runs into many hundreds of millions a year. And till they are told to solve crimes and not merely try to pin them on the first name that pops in their head it'll continue.
Edited by: "4TheMenyNotTheFew" 20th Aug 2017

'I remember Barrymore leaving his wife and manager of years and she apparently didn't know he was gay, nor did he. '

Are you for real?

'Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that alwight?'

Yes.
Edited by: "chocci" 19th Aug 2017

Damages wouldn't help him if he had died.

I'm wondering if it had been instead a woman's body that was found things would have turned out different.

The key sentence in the article is:

"Essex police had admitted the arrest was unlawful, as the arresting officer did not have reasonable grounds to suspect that Barrymore was guilty."

His career certainly suffered because of it and as it was unlawful then the justice system has to come down hard on those who acted unlawfully, just as it does when most people act in the same manner.

He caused his own downfall, he's clearly a sick man but as is often the case they carry on and on propped up by money and a public persona that makes them endearing to the viewers.

If he was a poor man who took drugs, ditched his wife, declared himself gay and had a guy die at a drug filled party he held, everyone would just say he's a mess who needs to sort himself out \ he needs locking up etc.

Why is it any different for these famous people, Hollywood especially is full of it.

"In no way am I suggesting Barrymore had anything to do with or knows anything about this corpse in his swimming pool.”

Heaven forbid that anyone would imagine you had an ulterior motive for starting this thread, that will be furthest from our minds.

"I do struggle to answer why he wasn't at his house when the police arrived. Anyone have any ideas?"

We all have ideas but in an infinite universe I struggle to see the point in blindly guessing as to why someone wasn’t at their home at a particular time of day! That sort of guessing game could go on indefinitely then where would one find the time to read the Daily Mail?

Now if the police had tipped off the media and there had been camera crews outside his home they could have asked him where he was off to.
So basically the police were at blame for not doing that and us not knowing the vital information of whether he had popped out for some hobnobs or a packet of fags.
It’s a disgrace that we don’t know this information and I expect a public enquiry by next Tuesday.
Edited by: "Agharta" 20th Aug 2017

Error4408 h, 10 m ago

He caused his own downfall, he's clearly a sick man but as is often the …He caused his own downfall, he's clearly a sick man but as is often the case they carry on and on propped up by money and a public persona that makes them endearing to the viewers.If he was a poor man who took drugs, ditched his wife, declared himself gay and had a guy die at a drug filled party he held, everyone would just say he's a mess who needs to sort himself out \ he needs locking up etc.Why is it any different for these famous people, Hollywood especially is full of it.

So his innocence was his downfall? This man should be awarded a damn site more than he has been.

My flower pot the man had his life destroyed by a handful of detectives trying to make a name for themselves. I can only assume your knowledge about Hollywood being "full of it" must come from your personal experience?

Original Poster Banned

Agharta20th Aug

"In no way am I suggesting Barrymore had anything to do with or knows …"In no way am I suggesting Barrymore had anything to do with or knows anything about this corpse in his swimming pool.” Heaven forbid that anyone would imagine you had an ulterior motive for starting this thread, that will be furthest from our minds."I do struggle to answer why he wasn't at his house when the police arrived. Anyone have any ideas?" We all have ideas but in an infinite universe I struggle to see the point in blindly guessing as to why someone wasn’t at their home at a particular time of day! That sort of guessing game could go on indefinitely then where would one find the time to read the Daily Mail? Now if the police had tipped off the media and there had been camera crews outside his home they could have asked him where he was off to. So basically the police were at blame for not doing that and us not knowing the vital information of whether he had popped out for some hobnobs or a packet of fags. It’s a disgrace that we don’t know this information and I expect a public enquiry by next Tuesday.

Sorry Michael, didn't know you were a member of this site.

CookinBat19th Aug

I'm wondering if it had been instead a woman's body that was found things …I'm wondering if it had been instead a woman's body that was found things would have turned out different.

I agree.

Obviously has fans on this site. If I held a party at my house, someone ended up dead, and I wasn't there when the police and paramedics found the body, even though I was at the party earlier I'm wondering how that would go down?

The impression I got is he had done a runner but may be wrong?! The fact that Lubbock was found in Barrymore's swimming pool with severe anal injuries, when he wasn't gay, is just a coincidence....

It's a shame what happened to him, I found him very entertaining.

Same, I don't believe he had anything to do with the corpse its such a shame.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions