Vets - are we talking animal care or cash generating Business as the primary focus?

Found 1st Jun
So our trustworthy small vet has been taken over by Medivet and the changes are already very apparent. Kennel Cough vaccine is included in the Medivet monthly charge or is £40 cash. Phoned around and got exactly the same vaccine for £22!

Our dog has just been diagnosed with Patella Luxation (a kneecap that ricochets in and out of position). The first question before discussing treatment was whether we had insurance and was rapidly followed by a second question; How much cover?

Some detailed research said there is a physio route to pursue before surgery.

What we want is a vet who thinks first and foremost of the animal's welfare and not what feels very much like the opportunity to extract cash.

Anyone care to recommend a trustworthy vet in the Coventry/Kenilworth area
Community Updates
Ask
37 Comments
Was the £22 you found it for from an online store or a different vet in the area? As don't forget vets have to pay for things online stores won't.

People don't realise how expensive medical care is since we have the NHS and are shielded from what treatment really costs. Just google some operations with USA prices and you'll see how expensive stuff is for humans. Animals are no less complicated.

Plus veterinary machines aren't cheap to purchase and minor operations require 3 or 4 people to work on the animal.

Our dog had a luxating patella and personally i'd recommend surgery over physio as it's not going to get any better in the future just from physio - dog physio isn't cheap either from what i recall!
Everyone is out to make money. I doubt there is a vet around that thinks I'll help this dog/animal even if I break even.
Cost me £110 the other week just for a skin scrape and blood test for thyroid function or something daft.
It's a bit daft not to have pet insurance if you own a dog.
master1017 m ago

Everyone is out to make money. I doubt there is a vet around that thinks …Everyone is out to make money. I doubt there is a vet around that thinks I'll help this dog/animal even if I break even.

exactly

the best thing you can do is find a vet you can trust who are reasonably priced and get good insurance
On every occasion I've been to a Vets I've always considered it 'open wallet surgery'!
winifer44 m ago

Was the £22 you found it for from an online store or a different vet in …Was the £22 you found it for from an online store or a different vet in the area? As don't forget vets have to pay for things online stores won't.People don't realise how expensive medical care is since we have the NHS and are shielded from what treatment really costs. Just google some operations with USA prices and you'll see how expensive stuff is for humans. Animals are no less complicated.Plus veterinary machines aren't cheap to purchase and minor operations require 3 or 4 people to work on the animal.Our dog had a luxating patella and personally i'd recommend surgery over physio as it's not going to get any better in the future just from physio - dog physio isn't cheap either from what i recall!

A vet working out of the RSPCA premises. Thank you but I do realise, as do an increasing number of people, exactly how expensive vet care is.

Shops a) have to offer refunds for things that don't work and b) stock a wide range some of which may not sell.

Seems that going to the vet is like going to the GP these days. Don't know who you will see and they don't know you. Nor do they have time to read your history if its more than a few lines long. Dr A puts you on one med. Dr B changes it for their preferred medicine. Dr C isn't interested in what you came in for but diagnoses you are a) over weight; b) asthmatic; c) hypertensive and d) 'insert current NHS hot target' all by the glance you got as you walked in.

Free medicine isn't particularly brilliant either.
ccnp48 m ago

What we want is a vet who thinks first and foremost of the animal's …What we want is a vet who thinks first and foremost of the animal's welfare and not what feels very much like the opportunity to extract cash.

Unfortunately you are looking for something that doesn’t exist. You have to realise when you own a pet that if they get ill you will get ripped off horribly.
winifer1 h, 46 m ago

Was the £22 you found it for from an online store or a different vet in …Was the £22 you found it for from an online store or a different vet in the area? As don't forget vets have to pay for things online stores won't.People don't realise how expensive medical care is since we have the NHS and are shielded from what treatment really costs. Just google some operations with USA prices and you'll see how expensive stuff is for humans. Animals are no less complicated.Plus veterinary machines aren't cheap to purchase and minor operations require 3 or 4 people to work on the animal.Our dog had a luxating patella and personally i'd recommend surgery over physio as it's not going to get any better in the future just from physio - dog physio isn't cheap either from what i recall!

that actually is not true.

epipen is a best example.it costs 500USD for a pack which is insane price for a life saving injection that has to be changed every few months due to expiry date. and yet there is a generic alternative costing 10x less.
Same with paracetamol in the NHS. Prices are high because companies know they can rip hospitals/vets etc off

What we pay at the vets is the overhead which have overheads. Unfortunetly healthcare providers often dont have a choice and bidding power to go for cheap alternatives

some examples here
vox.com/a/h…ces

apparently it costs £250 to call out an ambulance in the UK. theguardian.com/soc…ncy
id like to see a breakdown of this considering a taxi will be max £25 (taking into account petrol, insurance, driver time)
Edited by: "mattsk" 1st Jun
Try one of the clinics run by the Veterinary Schools, you would be seen by a student vet but under supervision. But thats limited to certain parts of the country, London, Bristol, Nottingham, Liverpool and Edinburgh from memory.
winifer2 h, 37 m ago

Don't talk about the NHS like it's a bloody gift to the people, we are all forced to pay for it out of our bloody salaries whether we use it or not and everyone should remember that when waiting months for "free" treatment
When I lived in Coventry I had two cats neutered at this practice. They didn't charge as much as others in the area, it might be worth giving them a call. I can't honestly remember what they charged, it was several years ago.

google.co.uk/map…wCg
MadeDixonsCry18 m ago

Don't talk about the NHS like it's a bloody gift to the people, we are all …Don't talk about the NHS like it's a bloody gift to the people, we are all forced to pay for it out of our bloody salaries whether we use it or not and everyone should remember that when waiting months for "free" treatment

So you've never been to a non-private dentist - with the treatment subsidised by nhs? or you weren't born/have had any children in a hospital or with the help of a midwife?

Seeing as giving birth in the USA costs between $18,329 and $27,866 and seeing as 50% of people will have cancer in their life which costs over $30000 for an 8 week course in USA...

Or you have an operation and the bed alone costs $2500 a night in USA.

Would you rather pay a few quid a week for nhs care THAT YOU WILL NEED AT SOME POINT IN YOUR LIFE! or risk going bankrupt in old age with a USA system when you won't get insurance cover in retirement ages

There's a reason people who have moved over here from America don't moan to the vets about costs because they understand how expensive everything is to do with Healthcare.
termite3 h, 7 m ago

It's a bit daft not to have pet insurance if you own a dog.

Not really, it depends which dog you have. If you prefer to rehome dogs that other people throw away, then you sometimes don’t get the choice. My dog is over 8 years old and insurers won’t touch him.

That said, I would suggest insuring with a good company (speak to your local vets practice!!) wherever possible.
Edited by: "Murgatr0yd" 1st Jun
Look for an independent practice. Unfortunately they are currently in the process of being bought up by the chains like Medivet, Vets4Pets etc. but you are more likely to be faced with pricing based just on the overheads of that practice alone.
winifer28 m ago

So you've never been to a non-private dentist - with the treatment …So you've never been to a non-private dentist - with the treatment subsidised by nhs? or you weren't born/have had any children in a hospital or with the help of a midwife? Seeing as giving birth in the USA costs between $18,329 and $27,866 and seeing as 50% of people will have cancer in their life which costs over $30000 for an 8 week course in USA...Or you have an operation and the bed alone costs $2500 a night in USA.Would you rather pay a few quid a week for nhs care THAT YOU WILL NEED AT SOME POINT IN YOUR LIFE! or risk going bankrupt in old age with a USA system when you won't get insurance cover in retirement agesThere's a reason people who have moved over here from America don't moan to the vets about costs because they understand how expensive everything is to do with Healthcare.

You can buy medical insurance for the whole family which should be cheaper (it is for me) and avoid waiting times, ques etc. People should have the option if they want to pay the nhs through their salary or private health care, not both. Effectively we are paying more for nhs through our salaries and getting a worse service than a private health care would provide for cheaper.
Edited by: "MR1123" 1st Jun
DKLS1 h, 32 m ago

Try one of the clinics run by the Veterinary Schools, you would be seen by …Try one of the clinics run by the Veterinary Schools, you would be seen by a student vet but under supervision. But thats limited to certain parts of the country, London, Bristol, Nottingham, Liverpool and Edinburgh from memory.

Thank you. Had not thought of that route.
winifer32 m ago

So you've never been to a non-private dentist - with the treatment …So you've never been to a non-private dentist - with the treatment subsidised by nhs? or you weren't born/have had any children in a hospital or with the help of a midwife? Seeing as giving birth in the USA costs between $18,329 and $27,866 and seeing as 50% of people will have cancer in their life which costs over $30000 for an 8 week course in USA...Or you have an operation and the bed alone costs $2500 a night in USA.Would you rather pay a few quid a week for nhs care THAT YOU WILL NEED AT SOME POINT IN YOUR LIFE! or risk going bankrupt in old age with a USA system when you won't get insurance cover in retirement agesThere's a reason people who have moved over here from America don't moan to the vets about costs because they understand how expensive everything is to do with Healthcare.

$2,500. Think thats expensive? The local BMI wants £5,500 for an overnight stay and procedure under local.
MR11237 m ago

You can buy medical insurance for the whole family which should be cheaper …You can buy medical insurance for the whole family which should be cheaper (it is for me) and avoid waiting times, ques etc. People should have the option if they want to pay the nhs through their salary or private health care, not both. Effectively we are paying more for nhs through our salaries and getting a worse service than a private health care would provide for cheaper.

Who do you think private health provides call when they need a CT scan, a surgeon etc? Ohh wait it's the NHS
mattsk5 m ago

Who do you think private health provides call when they need a CT scan, a …Who do you think private health provides call when they need a CT scan, a surgeon etc? Ohh wait it's the NHS

Who do you think covers the cost or would cover the cost should you have the option to pay for one or the other and you opted for private. Oh wait it would be private just like your travel insurance would cover hospital treatment on your holiday accident. It won’t be NHS.
MR11233 m ago

Who do you think covers the cost or would cover the cost should you have …Who do you think covers the cost or would cover the cost should you have the option to pay for one or the other and you opted for private. Oh wait it would be private just like your travel insurance would cover hospital treatment on your holiday accident. It won’t be NHS.

Well in Europe it's the NHS that pays for your treatment.
Private insurance is the worst invention ever, it only benefits the better off people
mattsk25 m ago

Well in Europe it's the NHS that pays for your treatment.Private insurance …Well in Europe it's the NHS that pays for your treatment.Private insurance is the worst invention ever, it only benefits the better off people

Some of the better off drink modestly, don't smoke, take holidays we can afford, don't waste money on lease car deals and save for a rainy day. That includes using the savings for private care.

(Now let's do the evils of private education)
It’s not about extracting cash. It’s about being realistic with regards to what you can afford for your animal. They’re not going to recommend a treatment that there is no way your animal can have.
MadeDixonsCry2 h, 33 m ago

Don't talk about the NHS like it's a bloody gift to the people, we are all …Don't talk about the NHS like it's a bloody gift to the people, we are all forced to pay for it out of our bloody salaries whether we use it or not and everyone should remember that when waiting months for "free" treatment

i guess you have never seen a country where you have to pay for health care and need to decide whether to get treatment, even medication or feed yourself. No matter what people say about the NHS its free to everyone and urgent treatment is quick and that can only be a good thing. So yes its a gift.

Yes you can pay insurance and can argue about if you do pay it should you pay into the NHS but reality is even with insurance you still need the NHS in cases of emergency and one day you might find you cant afford insurance and need to rely on the NHS so you will still need to pay for it and rightly so.

We have to be careful on this as we cant talk about this from a political standpoint with the new code of conduct but guess you will have used NHS services before and will do in the future so it is a gift, one you might not want at the moment but unless you are really well off you will have been using since birth.
Edited by: "eslick" 1st Jun
ccnp2 h, 16 m ago

Some of the better off drink modestly, don't smoke, take holidays we can …Some of the better off drink modestly, don't smoke, take holidays we can afford, don't waste money on lease car deals and save for a rainy day. That includes using the savings for private care.(Now let's do the evils of private education)

That's the most ignorant comment I've heard.
Average debt is £8000 per person or £12000 per household (depends where you get your stats from) those that wouldn't be a able to afford private insurance would be able to afford basic treatment or medications ?
eslick2 h, 50 m ago

i guess you have never seen a country where you have to pay for health …i guess you have never seen a country where you have to pay for health care and need to decide whether to get treatment, even medication or feed yourself. No matter what people say about the NHS its free to everyone and urgent treatment is quick and that can only be a good thing. So yes its a gift.Yes you can pay insurance and can argue about if you do pay it should you pay into the NHS but reality is even with insurance you still need the NHS in cases of emergency and one day you might find you cant afford insurance and need to rely on the NHS so you will still need to pay for it and rightly so.We have to be careful on this as we cant talk about this from a political standpoint with the new code of conduct but guess you will have used NHS services before and will do in the future so it is a gift, one you might not want at the moment but unless you are really well off you will have been using since birth.

A gift that I've been forced to pay for since I was 16. And one that my parents have been forced to pay for before that. Gifts do not have to be paid for.
Essentially it's health insurance. One that were forced to pay for if we earn a certain amount... And we get CRAP service for it.
mattsk1 h, 43 m ago

That's the most ignorant comment I've heard. Average debt is £8000 per …That's the most ignorant comment I've heard. Average debt is £8000 per person or £12000 per household (depends where you get your stats from) those that wouldn't be a able to afford private insurance would be able to afford basic treatment or medications ?

I have 0 debt, thank God. Paid off my student loan as soon as I could. I saved up hard. It wasn't easy but I did it. I have a hard life and only pay for what I can afford. Haven't been on holiday for years but I eat well enough, am fit. I wish i didn't have to subsidise those that get treatment for things arising from a lack of personal care and attention. I'd get private insurance.
mattsk4 h, 32 m ago

Well in Europe it's the NHS that pays for your treatment.Private insurance …Well in Europe it's the NHS that pays for your treatment.Private insurance is the worst invention ever, it only benefits the better off people

We get private health insurance as part of our perks package in work. The company they use to provide this BHSF, is actually a 'not for profit' organisation and all the profits they make go into training nurses to work for the NHS and funding for Birmingham hosptials.
The vet was looking at the best treatment options based on what you can afford. That is why they asked you about your cover. Vets aren’t all out to make money. They are mostly trying to do their best for you and your pet.

Read this article by the Telegraph. It explains it in much better detail. telegraph.co.uk/pet…ch/

They have costs like any other business. Much like energy/telecom providers, if you aren’t happy, change to another.

Personally, if I am comfortable with my vet and see they are doing the best they can, the cost doesn’t enter my mind. Healthcare (whether it be for people or animals) is not cheap at all and we can mostly blame the drug companies for it.
MadeDixonsCry1 h, 1 m ago

A gift that I've been forced to pay for since I was 16. And one that my …A gift that I've been forced to pay for since I was 16. And one that my parents have been forced to pay for before that. Gifts do not have to be paid for. Essentially it's health insurance. One that were forced to pay for if we earn a certain amount... And we get CRAP service for it.

dont look at it as gift then look at it as a necessity, its nothing like health insurance as you stop paying it and still can use it, guess you weren’t actually born, so your parents never needed the services of a midwife.

next you will be telling us we should pay for education separately as you dont have kids and will never use it
Edited by: "eslick" 1st Jun
MadeDixonsCry57 m ago

I have 0 debt, thank God. Paid off my student loan as soon as I could. I …I have 0 debt, thank God. Paid off my student loan as soon as I could. I saved up hard. It wasn't easy but I did it. I have a hard life and only pay for what I can afford. Haven't been on holiday for years but I eat well enough, am fit. I wish i didn't have to subsidise those that get treatment for things arising from a lack of personal care and attention. I'd get private insurance.

So you were lucky , some people aren't, some people have inborn medical conditions, poverty runs in generations.a lot of Older generation doesn't have a nice pension to spend on private insurance.

But reading your comment you sound very selfish and I wouldn't be surprised if you voted out from EU
mattsk53 s ago

So you were lucky , some people aren't, some people have inborn medical …So you were lucky , some people aren't, some people have inborn medical conditions, poverty runs in generations.a lot of Older generation doesn't have a nice pension to spend on private insurance.But reading your comment you sound very selfish and I wouldn't be surprised if you voted out from EU

Quick delete the last sentence
mattsk1st Jun

So you were lucky , some people aren't, some people have inborn medical …So you were lucky , some people aren't, some people have inborn medical conditions, poverty runs in generations.a lot of Older generation doesn't have a nice pension to spend on private insurance.But reading your comment you sound very selfish and I wouldn't be surprised if you voted out from EU

The way I see it, people should not have to pay for the NHS. There should be no such thing as NHS. If people work, they should have the option to pay for an appropriate level of private health insurance which would cover childbirth, and those that want to, will give charity to specific health clinics. Those that can't or won't pay for insurance shouldn't have kids because they clearly can't afford it. If they develop an illness they should be able to approach the charities and they might have a chance. No one would support a health clinic to stop smokers' lung cancer so those that smoke themselves to ill health (and can't or won't pay for insurance) would only have themselves to blame when they die. Doing this would force people to either pay their way or take care of themselves and not sponge off others. I hate today's benefit-dependant mentality.
MadeDixonsCry12 m ago

The way I see it, people should not have to pay for the NHS. There should …The way I see it, people should not have to pay for the NHS. There should be no such thing as NHS. If people work, they should have the option to pay for an appropriate level of private health insurance which would cover childbirth, and those that want to, will give charity to specific health clinics. Those that can't or won't pay for insurance shouldn't have kids because they clearly can't afford it. If they develop an illness they should be able to approach the charities and they might have a chance. No one would support a health clinic to stop smokers' lung cancer so those that smoke themselves to ill health (and can't or won't pay for insurance) would only have themselves to blame when they die. Doing this would force people to either pay their way or take care of themselves and not sponge off others. I hate today's benefit-dependant mentality.

Sorry but you are everything that is wrong with today's society.
Privileged and selfish a hole (and I don't care if I get banned or whatever) You are literally a 1 in a billion chance to be born where you were born. Wonder if you would be saying the same if that chance would change against you and you were born in 3rd world country or in poverty
mattsk5 m ago

Sorry but you are everything that is wrong with today's society.Privileged …Sorry but you are everything that is wrong with today's society.Privileged and selfish a hole (and I don't care if I get banned or whatever) You are literally a 1 in a billion chance to be born where you were born. Wonder if you would be saying the same if that chance would change against you and you were born in 3rd world country or in poverty

If I die, I die. That's the way the cookie crumbles. I pay charity to help those in third world countries where there is no government help. If I could I'd stay in Africa building water wells.
MadeDixonsCry14 h, 24 m ago

If I die, I die. That's the way the cookie crumbles. I pay charity to help …If I die, I die. That's the way the cookie crumbles. I pay charity to help those in third world countries where there is no government help. If I could I'd stay in Africa building water wells.

Inb4 people organise a whip around for your plane ticket
"Vets - are we talking animal care or cash generating Business . . . ."
That is a good question.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants