Expired

Vga cable problem

Found 28th Dec 2017
I recently brought a new TV and needed a hdmi cable to get it to work so brought a hdmi cable to vga, that didn't work and now brought an adapter for vga to hdmi and that didn't work. Yet plugging the vga cable straight into the old TV works fine. I really don't know what to do? Can anyone help please? Thanks

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
10 Comments

New TV broke or EDID wrong. Plug it in and use an EDID check to see what is going on.

You do need something that actually converts the signal. Some ebay/amazon market sellers do sell HDMI to VGA cables/adapters that only change the plug which won't work on most devices.

Basically, if it costs a tenner or more and has a box or very bulky plug it'll probably work.

Also bear in mind that the order is important as not everything converts both ways. The convention is to go from the source of the signal to the display.

So HDMI to VGA would be a computer with an HDMI Output to a TV with an VGA input and wouldn't automatically work with an HDMI equipped TV and VGA-eqipped computer.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves3 m ago

You do need something that actually converts the signal. Some ebay/amazon …You do need something that actually converts the signal. Some ebay/amazon market sellers do sell HDMI to VGA cables/adapters that only change the plug which won't work on most devices. Basically, if it costs a tenner or more and has a box or very bulky plug it'll probably work. Also bear in mind that the order is important as not everything converts both ways. The convention is to go from the source of the signal to the display.So HDMI to VGA would be a computer with an HDMI Output to a TV with an VGA input and wouldn't automatically work with an HDMI equipped TV and VGA-eqipped computer.

I'll get a picture of what I brought but yeah that sounds about what the problem might be! It's been doing my head in all day! Thanks for the advice!

Vga is analogue, Hdmi is digital, a cable won't work, you need a converter.

So much bringing going on.

If you said what you are trying to connect to your tv you might get more help....

Original Poster

Sambat14 h, 26 m ago

If you said what you are trying to connect to your tv you might get more …If you said what you are trying to connect to your tv you might get more help....

I thought I did

Original Poster

dcx_badass17 h, 43 m ago

Vga is analogue, Hdmi is digital, a cable won't work, you need a converter.

Is there any you can recommend at all?

Pepz3478 h, 10 m ago

I thought I did

You still haven’t, you only mention your tv, not what you want to conn

Original Poster

Sambat29th Dec

You still haven’t, you only mention your tv, not what you want to conn

My pc to TV via vga to hdmi but it's okay someone above has explained it to me
Edited by: "Pepz347" 31st Dec 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text