Found 18th Jun 2009
Hey guys and girls.

Ive got a ton load of videos here that im wanting to backup onto DVD.

What is the best method really to back these up? Get a standalone player or something like a scart to usb cable and input the videos onto my pc and then burn to a dvd?

Anyone here who has done that before and can s hed some light?

1. Misc
  2. DVD
  3. VHS
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. DVD
  3. VHS
10 Comments

I have a panasonic vhs/dvd recorder and its quick and simple without any messing about with cables

Somebody on av forums asked this question and somebody told them to buy this,

]http//ww…DVD

All methods of transfer are very time consuming ,as there done in realtime .If you can get them onto PC ,they can be edited ,clipped etc and using transitions , titles, background music etc ,can be made to look very good and then put onto DVD.But this will take time. I think the quickest and easiest way is to buy a HDD/DVD recorder.Using a scart cable you can copy them onto the hard drive ,this footage can be edited and transfered to the DVD disk .Of course , you can run as many copies off as you like once on the HD. I use a Liteon model for this and it makes quite a good job,it also features a firewire port for a quick connection to a digital camera.

Original Poster

Thanks guys for the advice so far. Its the initial cost of the standalone recorder which gets me.

I looked at that kworld one and on scan its a good deal, but its the carriage which is high. Unless i can get it to £20 before vat then i get free delivery. lol.

hippyharry;5528833

Thanks guys for the advice so far. Its the initial cost of the standalone … Thanks guys for the advice so far. Its the initial cost of the standalone recorder which gets me. :(I looked at that kworld one and on scan its a good deal, but its the carriage which is high. Unless i can get it to £20 before vat then i get free delivery. lol.

Can you add a scart adaptor onto the one i listed as it does not show one in the picture?

Original Poster

abacus;5528852

Can you add a scart adaptor onto the one i listed as it does not show one … Can you add a scart adaptor onto the one i listed as it does not show one in the picture?

I think so yeah. But were you asking if you can just join them, or if it would help bring it over £20?

[COLOR="Red"]BluRay > DVD > VHS[/COLOR]

fjente;5528640

I have a panasonic vhs/dvd recorder and its quick and simple without any … I have a panasonic vhs/dvd recorder and its quick and simple without any messing about with cables

Sorry to hijack a thread, :oops: but if you copy a VHS to DVD using this method does it create any kind of chapters on the DVD or do you have to fast forward / rewind scan the DVD to find a bit you want? Thx. :thumbsup:

Banned

Russ66;5533010

Sorry to hijack a thread, :oops: but if you copy a VHS to DVD using this … Sorry to hijack a thread, :oops: but if you copy a VHS to DVD using this method does it create any kind of chapters on the DVD or do you have to fast forward / rewind scan the DVD to find a bit you want? Thx. :thumbsup:

you can input your own pre-determined chapters or just auto insert say every 5 mins.

depends what OP means by "tons of tapes". might just be simpler / as cheap to gradually buy the original dvds as most are very cheap these days and vhs -> dvd transfer wont make the quality any better.

not to mention copyright issues with copying vhs to dvd (unless of course thay are the precious home movie variety ;-):-D).

Original Poster

Hey again,

Sorry for late reply. Its all tapes from when i was younger. Family holidays, etc. Dont think my Family holiday of 96 around Europe is available in the shops anymore.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769527
    2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428114653
    3. Anyone else bored of video gaming2535
    4. word association Game74244927

See more discussions