VHS Tape - What to do?

Posted 17th Apr
Looking for a little help… I have been doing a house clearance and I have come across 100s of VHS tapes!

All the videos seem legit. There are a few old style boxes and then your standard size.

I am aware that there is a minimal chance that I may have one that could be worth a bit of money but it would be like sifting for gold, which I don’t really have time to do.

So my question is... does anybody know what I can do with them?

I am not bothered about making any money for them. Ideally, I would like to pass them on to somebody who will use them or to a charity etc rather than taking them to the dump but very few people are on the hunt for a specific VHS these days.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask
20 Comments
My local charity shop refused VHS tapes. I ended up binning them as it cost more to transfer the film to dvd then to just buy the films again.
Some collector editions might be worth something, just look on eBay
deleted701517
You could put them on Freecycle and see if anyone has a use for them. My local FC occasionally has wants for charity purposes. There is a risk though that someone may take them and sell them on. Or put them on eBay yourself as a job lot and give the proceeds to a charity of your choice.

Whatever you do, don't dump them.
Edited by: "deleted701517" 17th Apr
ktm66611 m ago

My local charity shop refused VHS tapes. I ended up binning them as it …My local charity shop refused VHS tapes. I ended up binning them as it cost more to transfer the film to dvd then to just buy the films again. Some collector editions might be worth something, just look on eBay

That is the problem we have, the charity shops doesn't want them as they can't really sell them on, they just put them in the bin so stop accepting the,.

I've seen a few things on ebay but it is all luck of the draw whether somebody want the odd one.
eat them, tasty tasty VHS tapes,

ofc not a good idea, but it is non the less something you could do with them
Minimal time: read the titles into your phone = speech to text. List all the vids as a "job lot original VHS films (see description for titles)" on a platform that provides the longest possible exposure. Wait for any film-specific enquiries. Investigate the value of the title of those specific enquiries. And/or generally be aware of unusually high interest in the listing, which may imply there may be something of value.
deleted70151717/04/2019 15:12

You could put them on Freecycle and see if anyone has a use for them. My …You could put them on Freecycle and see if anyone has a use for them. My local FC occasionally has wants for charity purposes. There is a risk though that someone may take them and sell them on. Or put them on eBay yourself as a job lot and give the proceeds to a charity of your choice.Whatever you do, don't dump them.

That's a good shout! I would prefer for somebody to use them.

Agreed, that will always be the risk but time/space is more important than making money on these.
Pains me to say it, unfortunately they’re landfill at this point
Ive got loads of vhs but if im honest like above nobody wants them.

I only keep them so i can watch the original classics disney films with kids.
Don't kid yourself. None of them will be worth anything

Tip the lot
When I disposed of mine I found a local charity that ran a recycling scheme, the cases were all taken apart, screws reused, plastic recycled and even the tape was shredded and reused for packaging materials. Here's a link, there may be something similar in your area.........

thebutterflygarden.org/

This is staffed by and run for the benefit of disabled young people and they do the work as part of their therapy.
deleted701517
I've also seen Freecycle requests from art and media students wanting them for projects.
Some VHS tapes are VERY RARE so Google: Rare VHS videos to see if you have any valuable ones to sell on eBay.
I took our box of them to the local council reycling center and was told that as they were mixed materials they were for landfill only. Sad really and bad for the environment.
Unspool one end of a tape and tie it to the back of a car.
Then dare yourself to keep hold of the cassette as long as possible, as the car speeds off, before it gets torn from your grasp.

Or join Project Mayhem and get up to hijicks around your local area, by wrapping the tape over and around everything.
Derek_Lancelot_Shatwell17/04/2019 17:52

Unspool one end of a tape and tie it to the back of a car. Then dare …Unspool one end of a tape and tie it to the back of a car. Then dare yourself to keep hold of the cassette as long as possible, as the car speeds off, before it gets torn from your grasp.

How long should I hold the cassette for? It's been five minutes since we left the car park but no more tape has been unspooled even though my bro has been attempting his best Hamilton impersonation.
Google vhs tape furniture....make a couple of tables sell them as retro furnishings
Theres a facebook page dedicated to old, collectible vhs tapes. maybe join that and see if any of them are worth anything? uaually the horror genre are worth the most, banned, uncut big box ones
AndyRoyd4 h, 41 m ago

How long should I hold the cassette for? It's been five minutes since we …How long should I hold the cassette for? It's been five minutes since we left the car park but no more tape has been unspooled even though my bro has been attempting his best Hamilton impersonation.

5 hours, 5 mins and 5 seconds minimum.
Had exactly the same problem at the start of this year with all the VHS tapes I'd amassed....literally had hundreds of them....tried every local charity shop and none would take them....tried advertising them free to a good home on our local classifieds and nobody was interested...couldn't find anywhere that would recycle them...sadly I ended up taking the lot to our local dump which seemed such a waste especially when I considered how much I'd originally spent on them
tiggerloveslife9 h, 39 m ago

Had exactly the same problem at the start of this year with all the VHS …Had exactly the same problem at the start of this year with all the VHS tapes I'd amassed....literally had hundreds of them....tried every local charity shop and none would take them....tried advertising them free to a good home on our local classifieds and nobody was interested...couldn't find anywhere that would recycle them...sadly I ended up taking the lot to our local dump which seemed such a waste especially when I considered how much I'd originally spent on them

If you get sentimental and want to watch some of them again, go back in a thousand years, they'll still be there.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions