VHS Tapes

Posted 14th Jan
Hi there! Simple question, I am moving house and have a case of VHS tapes with films etc. Do these hold any value for anyone? Would a charity shop want them or should I tip the lot?
Cheers
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
arden14/01/2020 11:39

Some care homes still use VHS players, and may welcome more videotapes.

Probably won’t want series 1-3 of Bottom tho!
18 Comments
Have you been to a car boot in the last 10 years?
Even most of the charity shops don't want them! Whats really frustrating is that they are difficult to recycle.
Charity shops around my neck 'o' the woods don't particularly want them anymore (zero value vs storage space etc.) but I advertise mine on Gumtree/Freecycle and people take them all the time. In fact, one guy was over the moon as his grandson prefers VHS to DVD! Go figure? Another person collects VHS tapes - so there are still people out there. I have another lot to go soon. I'm replacing all mine gradually with DVD. In fact, there was an ad just the other day requesting videos...

Don't just bin/landfill them. That's quite a sad ending to a proud race of entertainment species...
arden14/01/2020 11:39

No zero most charity shops don't accept them or just bin them
Keep them for another 50 years lol for value
Please don't tip them unless your can't get rid of them any other way. You can put them all on Gumtree with a price of £0 as a freebie for someone who wants them or list them on Freecycle. Maybe nobody will want them and that's fair enough but if you have the time you can try and get them to a new home.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 16th Jan
I remember when Topgun the movie came out in 1986 a girl at workpurchased it on VHS for £60 our wages were a £100 a week
Charity shops wont want them (source - I am ex manager of one), there is one good use of them that I found from a farmer who used to ask for any that we was binning and had been donated in amongst other stuff, he said the tape makes an excellent fire starter!.
Somebody I work with is so young they didnt know what a VHS was
Place near me takes them and recycles them. Maybe you have similar. Also used to be box at local tip to put in. To answer. Worth nothing. Get rid of them
Keep them, look at all the old vinyl records & cassettes that have been binned & now they are coming back into fashion. I'm just waiting for 8 track tapes to make a resurgence & I shall be retiring into the sunset 😁
If only they were betamax
I regret binning my collection of around 2000 VHS (I say binning, a lot went to charity before they stopped taking them).

Main reason is I had a lot of rare cult/horror movies that are now worth a fair bit of money. Some of which have never been put on DVD.

However most VHS is probably worthless but worth a quick look to see if you have anything rare.
JoseChupachup14/01/2020 12:48

I had them on VHS also (many years ago). Now have them on my PC as files. Love that show.
Thanks gang!
glue them to a wall and make retromtech wall paper
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions