VHS to DVD Conversation

Posted 3rd Feb
I was wondering if you lot could help.

I have a few VHS tapes that I'd like to transfer to DVD. I don't fancy paying £15 a go to get someone to do them, so is there a simple way to convert them using a VHS player and a PC?
Is there a special bit of kit that I could buy to do this? And what kind of software would I need?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

24 Comments
How about one of them vhs dvd recorder combi things that were around years ago, might be available on ebay
You'd need a capture card/box/stick for the PC.
I had a dvd recorder and just connected them with wires and recorded them..
Do you currently have vhs player? You can buy scart to usb capture for about £20 then go to dvd from there.
When you say "A few VHS tapes" are we talking home movies or pre-recorded movies? If the latter, it's not so easy because of the old copy protection. If the former - many ways to skin the cat!

You can buy a VHS-PC ripper which is just a clever AV solution. Cables from your VHS player to the PC. Play the tape - record the video to a PC format. Then burn to DVD.

Alternatively, as ding above rightly said - the easiest way is with an existing "combo" machine that had both VHS and DVD recorder. You can usually "dub" from one to the other. I saw one recently in a charity shop for £10! I would have bought it but I already have one (or two!)

If you Google "VHS to DVD" you'll find articles detailing the kit you would need. I've seen the likes of Lidl and Aldi do their versions - usually around £15. Ebay would probably be cheaper...

All the best, Phsy.
If you fancy a bit of a "gamble" then there's this on Ebay:
ebay.co.uk/itm…bSw

Says UK but it's a China seller. Might be stock from in the UK however. Worth a shot at less than a deep-sea diver?
Dannyrobbo03/02/2020 19:02

Do you currently have vhs player? You can buy scart to usb capture for …Do you currently have vhs player? You can buy scart to usb capture for about £20 then go to dvd from there.

Yep, I have a VHS player.
Phsycronix03/02/2020 19:04

When you say "A few VHS tapes" are we talking home movies or pre-recorded …When you say "A few VHS tapes" are we talking home movies or pre-recorded movies? If the latter, it's not so easy because of the old copy protection. If the former - many ways to skin the cat!You can buy a VHS-PC ripper which is just a clever AV solution. Cables from your VHS player to the PC. Play the tape - record the video to a PC format. Then burn to DVD.Alternatively, as ding above rightly said - the easiest way is with an existing "combo" machine that had both VHS and DVD recorder. You can usually "dub" from one to the other. I saw one recently in a charity shop for £10! I would have bought it but I already have one (or two!)If you Google "VHS to DVD" you'll find articles detailing the kit you would need. I've seen the likes of Lidl and Aldi do their versions - usually around £15. Ebay would probably be cheaper...All the best, Phsy.

I've got around 5 home movies that I'd like to transfer.
If you fancy an even bigger gamble (and a bit of bidding excitement!):
ebay.co.uk/itm…n=4

Sounds just the job.
I did 23 vhs with this.

amazon link

Set it up and hit play and you pay for what you get. Some cheap kit just do a straight copy, but this has more setting you can play around with. Couldn’t fault it myself.
ArcadeAssassin03/02/2020 19:14

I did 23 vhs with this. amazon linkSet it up and hit play and you pay for …I did 23 vhs with this. amazon linkSet it up and hit play and you pay for what you get. Some cheap kit just do a straight copy, but this has more setting you can play around with. Couldn’t fault it myself.

Page not found
Phsycronix03/02/2020 19:07

If you fancy a bit of a "gamble" then there's this on …If you fancy a bit of a "gamble" then there's this on Ebay:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-VHS-To-DVD-Audio-Video-Converter-Capture-Full-Scart-Kit-With-Leads-Cable/164041603001?hash=item2631a437b9:g:Z6MAAOSwsh5bTbSwSays UK but it's a China seller. Might be stock from in the UK however. Worth a shot at less than a deep-sea diver?

Thanks to everyone for your advice.
I've decided to take a risk and go for @Phsycronix 's cheapo option.
Defo worth a go seeing as I won't be using it again.

Software is another question, MANY choices
nchsoftware.com/cap…tml - free for personal use, looks like it can capture from external device
dvdflick.net/ - A good free option to "author" a nice playable DVD, add menus etc.

If you have the option, use the S-Video if your player supports it, as the capture over S-video (if the gadget doesn't cheat and just re-combine it) will be a little better than over AV composite as it won't get an extra layer of chroma / luma artefacts
chimp14uk03/02/2020 20:23

Thanks to everyone for your advice.I've decided to take a risk and go for …Thanks to everyone for your advice.I've decided to take a risk and go for @Phsycronix 's cheapo option.Defo worth a go seeing as I won't be using it again.

Let’s all bid on it, so not such a cheapo option.
I use one of these youtube.com/wat…ogo works well and has plenty of software options.
If you've got an old VHS Player, purchase this amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1

Bundled software is OK, not the best, but does the job.

It's also able to overcome any copy protection if you read the FAQ's in the manual (for some reason some of my home videos are copy protected (confused))
Edited by: "chris_avfc" 4th Feb
chimp14uk03/02/2020 20:23

Thanks to everyone for your advice.I've decided to take a risk and go for …Thanks to everyone for your advice.I've decided to take a risk and go for @Phsycronix 's cheapo option.Defo worth a go seeing as I won't be using it again.

Hi chimp14uk. I hope you can get something that works for you. Don't shoot me if it doesn't perform though, will you? Can I also add that if you get a piece of kit that comes with a mini-software disc, disable "autorun" on your computer and SCAN THE DISC with a virus scanner BEFORE you install anything. I have known in the past where some of these "Chinese" items (Digicams, scanners, card readers etc.) can have 'rogue' elements on the disc.

I had a digital camera many years ago which came with some software for printing pictures and other things but as soon as I tried to use the disc, my virus scanner pinged and found something 'nasty' on it. Could have been a false positive - who knows? Moral? Check before coming unstuck...

Plenty of videos on Youtube cover using these things. Just search for "Easycap vhs to dvd" to take a look. It'll probably be a Chinese 'knock-off' version of a genuine Easycap but it will work the same - unless you use Windows 10. It can be picky. It might find the capture device - it might not.

Here's a great vid about the subject of matter:

He also mentions using "Virtualdub" software (as an alternative to the packaged software) which; as I understand; used to be very good. Works up to Win8.1 - not sure about 10 though?

virtualdub.org/

The only other piece of kit you might need is a Scart to RCA converter:
39832696-jNw6E.jpgwhich will connect your VHS Scart "Out" to the capture device

Or, if your VHS has RCA component "Out" sockets already:
39832696-bvRmU.jpg
Perhaps you have either of these from some other piece of kit you've bought over time? I have zillions of cables/adapters etc. from games consoles, cameras and other tech that can be utilized. Check that dusty old drawer or cupboard you haven't dared venture into in years!

Good luck with your project, chimp14uk.
By the way, I know the Ebay capture device I gave an example of says "Full Scart Kit" but I wouldn't pay any attention to that. It's a typical Chinese 'overhyped' listing. There's no Scart shown anywhere - no leads other than the USB cable - and even more bizarrely A SHOULDER STRAP! Say what now? Why would you need a shoulder strap for a tiny capture device! Haha.

Look around on Ebay as there are other similarly priced devices - some of which say "newest" version etc.
ebay.co.uk/itm…m-1

Also, as someone else mentioned - if you have the option to use S-VHS then go for it.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 4th Feb
Phsycronix04/02/2020 11:07

Hi chimp14uk. I hope you can get something that works for you. Don't shoot …Hi chimp14uk. I hope you can get something that works for you. Don't shoot me if it doesn't perform though, will you? Can I also add that if you get a piece of kit that comes with a mini-software disc, disable "autorun" on your computer and SCAN THE DISC with a virus scanner BEFORE you install anything. I have known in the past where some of these "Chinese" items (Digicams, scanners, card readers etc.) can have 'rogue' elements on the disc.I had a digital camera many years ago which came with some software for printing pictures and other things but as soon as I tried to use the disc, my virus scanner pinged and found something 'nasty' on it. Could have been a false positive - who knows? Moral? Check before coming unstuck...Plenty of videos on Youtube cover using these things. Just search for "Easycap vhs to dvd" to take a look. It'll probably be a Chinese 'knock-off' version of a genuine Easycap but it will work the same - unless you use Windows 10. It can be picky. It might find the capture device - it might not.Here's a great vid about the subject of matter: [Video] He also mentions using "Virtualdub" software (as an alternative to the packaged software) which; as I understand; used to be very good. Works up to Win8.1 - not sure about 10 though?http://www.virtualdub.org/The only other piece of kit you might need is a Scart to RCA converter:[Image] which will connect your VHS Scart "Out" to the capture deviceOr, if your VHS has RCA component "Out" sockets already:[Image] Perhaps you have either of these from some other piece of kit you've bought over time? I have zillions of cables/adapters etc. from games consoles, cameras and other tech that can be utilized. Check that dusty old drawer or cupboard you haven't dared venture into in years!Good luck with your project, chimp14uk.

Thanks for your advice.

I do have the cables that you mention, but where they are, I don't know. It's about time that I sort out all the stuff that I've got in the garage anyway.

If I get it all to work, all well and good, but if I can't manage to do it, it's no biggy, although I would like to get it done eventually
chimp14uk04/02/2020 12:03

Thanks for your advice.I do have the cables that you mention, but where …Thanks for your advice.I do have the cables that you mention, but where they are, I don't know. It's about time that I sort out all the stuff that I've got in the garage anyway.If I get it all to work, all well and good, but if I can't manage to do it, it's no biggy, although I would like to get it done eventually

You're most welcome. We all like to help if we can. Hopefully you'll keep us appraised of your progress/success?

Actually, whilst writing these posts, it reminded me of when I was tasked with transferring someones holiday video to DVD. I don't know if they had forgotten (or just didn't care) but it included some quite candid shots of topless sunworshipping. Fair enough.The downside came when it also included this person's elderly Mother - who happened to be the cleaner at the company! I could never look at her the same way...
Back in the "ole days" I used my HP Media Centre, Analogue Sky connected to the PC via the PCI TV Tuner card, and you could pause live TV, change the Sky Box channel by PC remote and set series record (onto HDD or the Re-moveable HDD which was a stand alone media player). It came at a bad time since Sky+ came out not so long afterwards. Anyhow you could also connect a video player to it, tune it into the analogue channel then record onto HD.
So basically an ole fashioned analogue PCI TV tuner card. Just remember one thing with all the solutions. It basically records a screen so the length of the recording is how long it will take hence the costs of third parties. Then you have to convert the file afterwards.

39835720-pnnUe.jpg
39835720-lN5C2.jpg
Saw this thread - instantly thought of you. It might be of use to you, post "rip" of your VHS footage perhaps? Free for a very limited period so I hope you see this.

As someone commented, if you go for it then use a throwaway Email address to avoid future spam. I like the sound of post-upscaling. If your footage is a bit 'rough' it might polish it up a bit?

Anyway, I know it might be going above and beyond what you wish to do but I didn't think it would hurt to draw your attention to it.

hotukdeals.com/dea…277

All the best, Phsy.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants