Groups

Video/DVD recorder, or Hard Drive recorder?

Looking to buy one of the above, not sure which as we never really need copies of the things we record (sport etc) but if we got a recorder would like to make all our current videos dvd's if poss.
    Just wondering if anyone knows any good deals on either, I know Morrisons have a HD recorder for approx £60 but not sure if its any good
    thanks in advance and rep for help

7 Comments

My advice would be to ditch the idea of DVD recorder EXCEPT the ones with a HDD .I have 2 newish Panasonics [ES10 & ES20 ] and a Philips DVDR-70 gathering dust here at home because of problems . The idea seemed fine , record everything onto DVD to watch later , but in reality there is flaws .I'd record things and stop the disk only to get an error , I'd finalise a disk and it gets to 90% and switch off . It just takes a bad disk and you get an error .After a while the machine doesn't recognise the disk .I know of other people with the same problems and I've mentioned this before on the forum ...............there rubbish.
    Now a HDD recorder is another thing all together . After my previous problems I bought a LiteOn HDD and DVD recorder . A much better idea and it works brilliantly . I can record anything I want from my satellite reciever or Freeview box and if I want to keep it I can transfer it onto DVD . The machine can split programs to edit them and join programs together again.The LiteOn used something called Allwrite which allows you to write to just about any disk +/-/RW etc .My recorder is old now as I've had it 2 or 3 years but it still works great .
    Your better off buying one of these and a separate Video recorder and linking the two together .Remember you wont be able to copy bought videos to disk unless you buy a *acro*uster cable . Mine was about £30 , so I can transfer just about anything .

Ive had my 200GB HDD Dvd Recorder for years now and would be lost without it! Ive got like 100 things or more recorded to it and often back all these up onto dvds - can create playlists / title menus and edit the videos too!

One thing which is missing from mine is that it only has 1 built in freeview - some now have two, so you can record one and watch another, with mine while its recording i can only watch something which ive already recorded before. i could just get another freeview box and watch that tho!

I have the Panasonic DMR-EH60 200GB - Old model now tho! and cost me a fortune! but still going!

Buy the DVD + HDD recorder! I had a Humax 930T which is just a HDD recorder but I returned it after I realised it doesn't record from an external source i.e. satellite etc, so I bought a Philips HDR3700 instead and it's fantastic!

Original Poster

ricko;5889422

My advice would be to ditch the idea of DVD recorder EXCEPT the ones with … My advice would be to ditch the idea of DVD recorder EXCEPT the ones with a HDD .I have 2 newish Panasonics [ES10 & ES20 ] and a Philips DVDR-70 gathering dust here at home because of problems . The idea seemed fine , record everything onto DVD to watch later , but in reality there is flaws .I'd record things and stop the disk only to get an error , I'd finalise a disk and it gets to 90% and switch off . It just takes a bad disk and you get an error .After a while the machine doesn't recognise the disk .I know of other people with the same problems and I've mentioned this before on the forum ...............there rubbish.Now a HDD recorder is another thing all together . After my previous problems I bought a LiteOn HDD and DVD recorder . A much better idea and it works brilliantly . I can record anything I want from my satellite reciever or Freeview box and if I want to keep it I can transfer it onto DVD . The machine can split programs to edit them and join programs together again.The LiteOn used something called Allwrite which allows you to write to just about any disk +/-/RW etc .My recorder is old now as I've had it 2 or 3 years but it still works great .Your better off buying one of these and a separate Video recorder and linking the two together .Remember you wont be able to copy bought videos to disk unless you buy a *acro*uster cable . Mine was about £30 , so I can transfer just about anything .

Oh right....thank you...didnt know you could back things up onto dvd...thought it was just recorded onto the hard drive and thats it...I didnt mean to record bought videos...my brother played rugby for approx 12 years and we have a lot of the amateur games on video...would just be easier to store them on dvd than on video as it is now.

krazykel;5889480

Ive had my 200GB HDD Dvd Recorder for years now and would be lost without … Ive had my 200GB HDD Dvd Recorder for years now and would be lost without it! Ive got like 100 things or more recorded to it and often back all these up onto dvds - can create playlists / title menus and edit the videos too!One thing which is missing from mine is that it only has 1 built in freeview - some now have two, so you can record one and watch another, with mine while its recording i can only watch something which ive already recorded before. i could just get another freeview box and watch that tho!I have the Panasonic DMR-EH60 200GB - Old model now tho! and cost me a fortune! but still going!

the watching diff chanels wont be a problem, generally we record sports games when someone isnt in, but the other people in the house will be watching it :)anyways
    Spriggan;5889506

Buy the DVD + HDD recorder! I had a Humax 930T which is just a HDD … Buy the DVD + HDD recorder! I had a Humax 930T which is just a HDD recorder but I returned it after I realised it doesn't record from an external source i.e. satellite etc, so I bought a Philips HDR3700 instead and it's fantastic!

Oh right....thats something to look out for, I thought they all could...thanks

Would this DVD HDD be compatible with a V+ box without extra messing about?

Original Poster

britchic4;5889700

Would this DVD HDD be compatible with a V+ box without extra messing … Would this DVD HDD be compatible with a V+ box without extra messing about?

eh?:? I dont have a V+ box...looked into it but I currently have one of the old virgin media ones...In fact it still says NTL on lol

These HDD/DVD recorders can be used with anything that has a scart socket , so you can plug in other videos ,sat systems etc to record onto . My LiteOn also has a firewire port , so for quickness I can upload my camcorder footage to the HDD and then run off multiple copys straight to DVD disk . Yes , very handy devices .
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917264
      2. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?2233
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764288
      4. ReCore: Definitive Edition releasing August 29th (probably)68

See more discussions