View photos on external hard drive

Posted 20th May 2023
Okay, you know how it is, you're in the pub talking about something and you say "I have photos of that in the house". So, I'm thinking is it possible to connect an external hard drive to my BT hub/router and connect to it remotely in the pub to view my photos? Hope that makes sense
Community Updates
New Comment

17 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    aLV426
    It depends - what you are asking can be done, however without knowing the exact spec/model of your equipment it's difficult to answer.
    It would be easier to set up cloud storage, 15GB can be had via OneDrive & Google drive/photos. Dropbox, Deego, Flickr, etc... Free cloud storage options exist and you have the added bonus of having a secondary storage location/backup.
    How much data are we talking? Could you upgrade your phone storage?
    DoireCormac Author
    It's a 1tb Seagate drive (exactly spec/model number not to hand at the minute) which is about 75% full (lots of photos!). Unfortunately the free cloud storage wouldn't be an option
    tardytortoise
    Hey, I would really be interested in what catalogue/database software you use to find any particular photo.
    jameshothothot
    I have connected my hard drive to my free Ee router to play videos on VLC on a fire stick. Was a bit harder to do on windows as an older security system so needed manual tweaks

For 2.5 inch hard drives IE laptops you can get a cheap 3 to 6 quid usb to sata adapter

For 3.5 inch hard drives which I think you are you need a 9 to 15 quid adapter that takes a PSU. I got one of them but ironically I use the same power supply as for the router. You cannot power big 3.5 inch hard drives from usb only. Even tried dual usb connectors but no luck.
    uni
    if you connect the drive to a pc that's connected to the internet you can use software like teamviewer to view files on your phone or tablet or other pc

if you've got 500+ gb of photos you could upload to cloud storage but would probably need to pay for that amount of storage in one place. you used to get a 50gb free mega account but they are now 25gb. you could find just the photos you wanted to show and upload to that and you can use the mega app on phone/tablet/pc etc

you can get external drives that act like NAS drives and connect to your router, or devices that can take a usb drive and operate like a NAS. once the drive is network connected you can set it to allow the files to be seen outside of your LAN

if you only have one drive and it's not backed up i'd suggest getting another drive as you can get a 1tb drive for about £30, WD refurb 2tb drives are often around that price, unless you don't think losing all your photos is worth £30. power issue, drop it, spill on it and you can stop it working and not be able to recover it. recovery services are usually so expensive it's not worth it, unless the drive isn't really completely knackered and you can stick it in a new caddy, but that's still more money and hassle and you need another drive to transfer it to in order to recover the files instead of leaving them on a damaged drive
    aLV426
    Having a second hard drive is NOT a backup...
    Flickr used to offer 1TB free and then decided to move to a pay model.
    An easier, cheaper way would be to copy the files to microSD cards - if your phone can read them you could make do with just the 1 high capacity version (or buy cheaper smaller capacity ones). As they are so small there would be little effort carrying them about (although I guess it depends how sober you are when it comes to swapping them out!).

Personally if you are relying on pictures to tell a story you need new friends...
    MonkeysUncle
    I use my freesat box as storage, with an external hdd attached and just use ftp client to connect to it when out and about.

It's not quite fast enough to stream video over from as it's quite old but it's pretty nippy at loading to and from.

And it's usefull just to offload videos etc from the mobile phone and free up storage.

I also have my cctv uploading any motion detection there.
    EndlessWaves
    As far as I'm aware most router's file server software is limited to insecure protocols for local network use like SMB and FTP so I would hope they're not made available to the internet.

If your router has a VPN server then you could use that to connect to your home network remotely and access those files that way, otherwise you'll need to use a more flexible computer than your router, something that could run a file server, VPN server, remote desktop or something else that'd let you do this.
    melted
    You can run a VPN server (eg Wireguard) on a suitable router flashed with openwrt, and either connect it to your main router (would need to forward the VPN port), or use it in its place, which would allow you very secure (encrypted) remote access your local network.

The openwrt router could also double as an extra wireless AP and serve the files off a USB storage device. Would also need to register with a free DDNS service.

A raspberry PI running wireguard or Openvpn would be another low power option.
    aLV426
    I did mention that there are of course dedicated devices to facilitate what you are asking - I forgot about my Canon CS100 - I ended up buying 3 after a deal posted on here (IIRC they where £30 for 1TB).
    Whilst you'll probably not get such a capable device for such a low price now I wouldn't really recommend it anyway, there are much more flexible solutions available...
    DoireCormac Author
    Thanks everyone for all your thoughts and input. I definitely have some thinking to do on how to move forward.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants