Views on carbon monoxide detector

Posted 7th Jan
Recently had a gas engineer over and asked if I had a carbon monoxide detector, answer was no.
I never had one in any of my previous properties.

Please advise the importance and the need to have one. Where is the best place to locate one and what periodic check needs to be carried out.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Please remember pressing the button on your carbon monoxide alarm just tests the alarm is making a noise.

I use a joss stick to confirm they are detecting CO.
16 Comments
CO isn't called the silent killer for nothing. Should have a detector in every room that burns fuel, so usually near your boiler and in kitchen. Follow manufacturer guidelines for testing detector.
Yes, should definitely get one. They aren’t expensive. Certainly not more expensive then the lives of you and your family.
About £10 from B&Q, Wicks etc.

A leak can kill you and your family without you even realising.
I would rate them just as important as a smoke detector.
I have two, one near my wood burner the other near my gas boiler.
Importance = Extremely important, it can kill you without you even knowing it.

Location = You should put it at head height and within 1 metre of the boiler. So if its in your bedroom, you should be putting it around head height when sleeping.

Maintenance = Just check it as you do a smoke detector ever now and again. They normally last for 5 to 15 years, it will say how long it'll last on the package/description.

As mentioned above, its the silent killer.
Please remember pressing the button on your carbon monoxide alarm just tests the alarm is making a noise.

I use a joss stick to confirm they are detecting CO.
They are extremely sensitive - I chefs a vast battery in the kitchen and it went off at around 2am. I can say for certain it WILL wake you and anyone else within 50 meters. Definitely get one - crazy not too.
Example of what you can get for £15. 70(10 year battery). I've not shopped around.

amazon.co.uk/Kid…8-3
ScubaDudes07/01/2020 21:26

Example of what you can get for £15. 70(10 year battery). I've not shopped …Example of what you can get for £15. 70(10 year battery). I've not shopped around. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kidde-10LLDCO-Monoxide-Digital-Display/dp/B00F351Q6O/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=carbon+monoxide+alarm+10+year+battery&qid=1578432193&sprefix=carbon+monoxide+alarm+10&sr=8-3

Thanks ordered
You can also get detectors that do both smoke and CO.
themorgatron07/01/2020 20:56

Please remember pressing the button on your carbon monoxide alarm just …Please remember pressing the button on your carbon monoxide alarm just tests the alarm is making a noise.I use a joss stick to confirm they are detecting CO.

Cheers I'm gonna do a smoke test on mine tomorrow.
Kidde co2 alarm £10.79 delivered at budget-fire.co.uk
Worth remembering local fire brigades supply and fit free smoke detectors(know this is about co detectors but just a reminder)
themorgatron07/01/2020 20:56

Please remember pressing the button on your carbon monoxide alarm just …Please remember pressing the button on your carbon monoxide alarm just tests the alarm is making a noise.I use a joss stick to confirm they are detecting CO.

tell my landlord and there gas man that, Great advice, and people should no there do expire after 10,5, year's
there are very important,why, cause you have no idea till it's too late that you have a leak,
Any idea how many people (UK) actually die from this?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions