Vinyl Turntable set up question

Posted 30th Dec 2019
Hi , hoping someone can point us in the right direction with a cheap turntable set up problem . My son bought a turntable last year , wanted to add headphones , to the best of my understanding it doesn’t have a built in pre amp , so he purchased an independent one , connected it with RCA cables . However , if we plug the headphones straight into the turntable or if we plug in via the pre amp , the volume that comes through the headphones is at maximum level , with no way to turn down .

My question is , do we need a headphone amp too, if so could someone kindly link me to a cheap one on amazon . If not , what are we doing wrong . This was a cheap set up to see if he wanted to progress with collecting vinyl and a bit of an impulse purchase by him so I’m sure the answer would partly be that he should have purchased a more expensive one in the first place , but as that ship has sailed , any help to fix it now would be greatly appreciated, thank you .
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
What model turntable and pre-amp do you have? Also do you have anything like a hi-fi that has a headphone socket and auxiliary inputs?
What size the headphone jack plug?
Something like this? You may have one to try from an old phone maybe?
Ringfinger30/12/2019 15:05

What size the headphone jack plug?Something like this? You may have one to …What size the headphone jack plug?Something like this? You may have one to try from an old phone maybe?

That’s a good idea can see if we have one around the house and see if that works thanks
Haircut_10030/12/2019 15:01

What model turntable and pre-amp do you have? Also do you have anything …What model turntable and pre-amp do you have? Also do you have anything like a hi-fi that has a headphone socket and auxiliary inputs?

Turntable is a JAM sound turntable model hx-TTP200BK , pre amp is Behringer PP400. No nothing that we can find that has aux and headphone socket ,
Don't understand what he is using the Behringer PP400 for, as it's output should be fed into an audio amplifier, so removing it, these two together should do what you want

amazon.co.uk/dp/…c=1

amazon.co.uk/Beh…8-5

And depending on the headphones plug size this maybe required:

amazon.co.uk/Ada…1-1

These are just suggestions not recommendations and others may suggest different devices.
OBH6UK30/12/2019 15:41

Don't understand what he is using the Behringer PP400 for, as it's output …Don't understand what he is using the Behringer PP400 for, as it's output should be fed into an audio amplifier, so removing it, these two together should do what you wanthttps://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MV7YF8S/ref=twister_B078RW9DS6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-HA400-Microamp-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B000KIPT30/ref=sr_1_5?crid=28D3C9BMFRF2A&keywords=amp+headphones&qid=1577719706&sprefix=heaphone+am,aps,141&sr=8-5And depending on the headphones plug size this maybe required:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adaptor-6-35mm-stereo-3-5mm-socket/dp/B000Q8FDTY/ref=sr_1_1?crid=39U7NSRBE1EXA&keywords=adaptor+6.35mm+1/4"+stereo+plug+to+3.5mm+stereo+jack+socket&qid=1577720178&s=electronics&sprefix=6.35mm+Stereo+Jack+Plug+to+3.5mm+,electronics,148&sr=1-1These are just suggestions not recommendations and others may suggest different devices.

Thanks , I know he has gone wrong somewhere, but I am no good with tech stuff , thanks for the suggestions. I think he looked at faq for the turntable and someone said a pre amp was needed .
Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 30th Dec 2019
You're possibly going to need a dedicated amp with level controls or even look at buying a 2nd hand 2 channel mixer (something like Vestax) with pgm / phono in (for two turntables) and out to amp.

The mixer will also have a separate 1/4 jack input and level controls for headphones.

If your son went down this route, he could also add a set of monitors later for more listening options.
psychedelicrenegade30/12/2019 15:46

You're possibly going to need a dedicated amp with level controls or even …You're possibly going to need a dedicated amp with level controls or even look at buying a 2nd hand 2 channel mixer (something like Vestax) with pgm / phono in (for two turntables) and out to amp.The mixer will also have a separate 1/4 jack input and level controls for headphones.If your son went down this route, he could also add a set of monitors later for more listening options.

Space is quite limited , so I think he just wants the headphones to work , Will the parts that obh6uk suggested above work do you think , if not could you do me an amazon link to what you are suggesting , as I’m a little lost with this , many thanks .
As said the Behringer PP400 is a phono preamplifier designed to perform functionality already contained within the JAM turntable : doing the initial amplification of the tiny output from the cartridge on the end of the tonearm. Instead you're currently using it as an amplifier to power a headphone which is a different application; it's even possible there is unacceptable distortion on your headphones which you cannot currently assess because of the lack of a volume control. Ringfinger's solution is an inexpensive way to attenuate the output from the Behringer to at least make that assessment possible. It's possible it may turn out to be a workable solution (though I understand on these devices the volume control can quickly become noisy in use).

OBH6UK's solution should work and for four users with suitable headphone jacks or adaptors. Alternatively this headphone amp should work with the cables you have and with both sizes of headphone jack (so not requiring a headphone adaptor).

Hopefully you can return the PP400. Sorry to be so gloomy, but I'd be inclined to purchase the headphone amp from somewhere with a good returns policy in case you run into unforseen difficulties; eg. an unacceptable hum which you can't find a workaround for.

Good luck
chrisjackson30/12/2019 20:21

As said the Behringer PP400 is a phono preamplifier designed to perform …As said the Behringer PP400 is a phono preamplifier designed to perform functionality already contained within the JAM turntable : doing the initial amplification of the tiny output from the cartridge on the end of the tonearm. Instead you're currently using it as an amplifier to power a headphone which is a different application; it's even possible there is unacceptable distortion on your headphones which you cannot currently assess because of the lack of a volume control. Ringfinger's solution is an inexpensive way to attenuate the output from the Behringer to at least make that assessment possible. It's possible it may turn out to be a workable solution (though I understand on these devices the volume control can quickly become noisy in use).OBH6UK's solution should work and for four users with suitable headphone jacks or adaptors. Alternatively this headphone amp should work with the cables you have and with both sizes of headphone jack (so not requiring a headphone adaptor).Hopefully you can return the PP400. Sorry to be so gloomy, but I'd be inclined to purchase the headphone amp from somewhere with a good returns policy in case you run into unforseen difficulties; eg. an unacceptable hum which you can't find a workaround for.Good luck

That’s really helpful thank you , I appreciate you guys all taking the time to help us out .
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions