virgin 70mb or sky fibre max ~70mb broadband which one?

12 replies
Found 23rd Sep 2016
Hey guys. just need some advice as to which company I should go with.

sky are offering: carphonewarehouse deal
upto 76mb fibre max approx ~70mb down 18mb up
anytime calls
tv-basic box sets sky q box
£26.91

or
virgin media retentions
£19 anytime calls plus 70mb broadband.

I know that virgin media do throtle.... I have experienced slow speed and connections issues at times. I just need help to decide on which to go for. obvs aside from the cost difference, speeds look quite similar. sky doesn't throttle (apparently) whereas virgin does at peak times.
plus sky would install a bt socket and a new dish (I don't have a bt socket on my property at the moment)

both prices include line rental.

any advice or vote for one or the other would help thanks

12 Comments

pricing aside I would speak your neighbours as one persons sucess or horror story online with either company, has no worth unless they are from your area

jglenton

pricing aside I would speak your neighbours as one persons sucess or … pricing aside I would speak your neighbours as one persons sucess or horror story online with either company, has no worth unless they are from your area

Best answer you will ever get, I posted a Virgin deal last year and the comments were exactly this, both virgin and sky will offer discounts next year as well so you will always pay less. At the moment we are paying £20.25 double discount for 150Mb BB only.

Yeah ask around your area, I have Sky Fibre up to 76mb but wired I get 50mb and wifi I get 18-25mb. Really depends on how good they are in your area

I don't have either now but as above Virgin throttle tour speed, but when I had sky fibre it was full speed 24/7 and I down load 100's of gb , so I would say sky, I only left due to them upping the price

Check what the "up to "actually is guaranteed.

check on Sky website what speed you will actually get. Sky use BT's fibre network, for me the most i can get is 25Mbps...

with Virgin I can and do get 200Mbps 24x7

btw...Virgin stopped ALL download throttling several years ago....they will throttle uploads for heavy P2P users but this is 2016...does anyone really still use torrents???
Edited by: "Uridium" 24th Sep 2016

We went from Virgin to Sky Fibre at the end of last year and have been regretting it almost the whole time. Download speed is about 1/6 of what I was getting through Virgin and the upload is much lower as well, not that I need as much.

I'm counting down the days until I can go back to Virgin

Is that £19 including like rental?

how did you manage all that for £19 with virgin, think you forgot broadband out line rental cost

Original Poster

kiish

Is that £19 including like rental?

​yh

Original Poster

19 including line rental. so 70mb plus anytime calls

From my own experience virgin is rubbish compared to sky. Virgin throttle the hell out of there so called 200mbs fibre. Never got anywhere near half of that.
When I had sky it was rock solid and decent speeds.
Only left because deal came to and end.
Please don't bother with BT what a mess that company is
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback trick or treat cashback giveaway23
    2. disneyland paris tickets44
    3. Tomtop Xiaomi Mi A1 deal removed433
    4. Amazon deliveries36

See more discussions