Virgin are rising their prices again chance to ditch your contract penalty free or haggle

Found 2nd Aug 2017Edited by:"Anon32"
Five million Virgin Media home phone, broadband and TV customers will be hit with price rises of up to 5% from November

The telecoms heavyweight started sending letters to customers today outlining the changes, which include a hike of up to £48/year for those with broadband, phone and TV packages, plus a rise of up to £36/year for broadband customers on 1 November 2017.

It follows a similar price rise in November last year, but as we explain below, it's possible to beat the hike.

Virgin Media's changing the price of its packages across the board, with those who have faster broadband seeing some of the biggest increases.

If you're on a special deal, Virgin Media says you'll get the same monthly discount but with the increase added on top. So for example if you get £10/month off standard pricing, your bill will go up by the amounts below; if you get 50% off, your bill will only go up by half the increase.

You should notice the changes on your first bill in November (if you pay in advance, this will be your October bill). Here's a list of the main price changes:

How to beat the hikesHere are your options, which depend on whether you want to stay with Virgin Media...

1. Switch provider – you CAN leave your contract penalty-free

If you're affected by the price hikes and still within your contract's minimum term, Virgin Media says you can choose to leave – and walk away without paying an exit fee.

Virgin Media's formally notifying customers by letter – you've then 30 days from receipt to let Virgin know if you want to leave. From that point there's a 30-day notice period, meaning you'll have to pay for this many days as a minimum. If you've paid for a year's line rental upfront you also won't be able to get a refund, unless you signed up within the last 14 days.

You should only leave if you think you can find a better deal elsewhere (or you no longer want Virgin Media). If so, see our Cheap Broadband, Cheap Home Phones and Digital TV guides for top picks.

check mse as deals on there or post a good deal on here
Community Updates
24 Comments
You've posted this as a Virgin Wines 'deal' op.
Raising, not rising.
supermod
Moved to MISC as this is a discussion / heads up info rather than a deal, thanks
I am moving house in another 15 days and planning to take my Virgin Media broadband contract with me (currently paying £15 for 50Mb broadband only until Jan 18).
Will have a look around to change but not sure if I will get a fibre broadband connection for £15
For most Virgin are the only one who offers more then a shoddy 17mb package, with quidco it works at the same price having thee 100mb, and the internet seems good 70% of the time (lot better then all others i have had)

find it all bs as if i go to speedtest.net ill get 100mb but if you go watch a video or on consoles games your probs only pulling 20mb-50mb at best, should be more resources to monitor it so you can use it against them
Virgin love a price increase.
Sky and BT and the rest will follow suit soon. Don't you worry...
Really wish the other providers caught up with the speeds VM can provide, the number of price increases is ridiculous, I wouldn't be surprised if it's supplied with a slight speed increase so they can try to put a positive spin on it.

What's the point of regulatory bodies like OFCOM if the service providers are allowed to increase prices whenever they want. Yeah you can cancel, but no one else can provide the same speeds.
Harryisme9 h, 41 m ago

Really wish the other providers caught up with the speeds VM can provide, …Really wish the other providers caught up with the speeds VM can provide, the number of price increases is ridiculous, I wouldn't be surprised if it's supplied with a slight speed increase so they can try to put a positive spin on it.What's the point of regulatory bodies like OFCOM if the service providers are allowed to increase prices whenever they want. Yeah you can cancel, but no one else can provide the same speeds.

Those on 50mbps who were a part of the "Player Bundle" were upgraded "free" to 100mbps around May of this year. Most were upgraded without much fanfare or hype too which is surprising.

It is ridiculous that nobody else can match their speeds though, on one contact with VM the retention guy told me "Virgin Media are the Ferrari, other providers are .. " and I forget the car model he named, but I'm sure it was Fiat.
AstalaVista2nd Aug

I am moving house in another 15 days and planning to take my Virgin Media …I am moving house in another 15 days and planning to take my Virgin Media broadband contract with me (currently paying £15 for 50Mb broadband only until Jan 18).Will have a look around to change but not sure if I will get a fibre broadband connection for £15

You sign new contract/plan usually when you move, check out topcashback etc and the offer they give you.

100mb is the new minimum so they will use that to increase price.
Keep us updated about your haggling experiences.
Here's my haggling experience today. Phoned up to cancel, after 15 years with them, he basically said goodbye. No attempt to try and keep me.

Anyone reckon they'll try to phone me? I think they might have in the past, but I've usually been working and more often than not, missed their calls.
crazygoog39 m ago

Here's my haggling experience today. Phoned up to cancel, after 15 years …Here's my haggling experience today. Phoned up to cancel, after 15 years with them, he basically said goodbye. No attempt to try and keep me.Anyone reckon they'll try to phone me? I think they might have in the past, but I've usually been working and more often than not, missed their calls.

They might.

They might not.

There's nothing to stop you calling them back and say you would like to stay but you're fed up with the constant increases. You might get someone more accommodating. Make sure you let them know that, although you would rather stay, you won't hesitate to leave.
I was talking to virgin on the "live chat" yesterday and he had no knowledge of the price increase? wasn't much help to me either!!
crazygoog4th Aug

Here's my haggling experience today. Phoned up to cancel, after 15 years …Here's my haggling experience today. Phoned up to cancel, after 15 years with them, he basically said goodbye. No attempt to try and keep me.Anyone reckon they'll try to phone me? I think they might have in the past, but I've usually been working and more often than not, missed their calls.

They will phone you dont worry, I was told by a lying smug idiot who would not understand I wanted the cancellation to go through even told me I would not get a phone call, lets just say they phoned non stop for 5 days.
Reigan11 h, 45 m ago

They will phone you dont worry, I was told by a lying smug idiot who would …They will phone you dont worry, I was told by a lying smug idiot who would not understand I wanted the cancellation to go through even told me I would not get a phone call, lets just say they phoned non stop for 5 days.

Thanks mate. I'm hoping they do call because I would prefer to negotiate some sort of deal, but I'm certainly prepared to leave if nothing happens.
Just called. Retentions said some nonsense, then said I need to pay cancellation, then I pointed to her the email from Virgin Media and then all of a sudden, there's no need.

From past experience, they call back and those guys are much more friendlier.

it's not been 12 months, since VM last price increase.
£47 here 150mb BB + phone.

Went via retentions to cancel, got a call back from virgin 1 day after I put in a request to cancel offering me just the BB for £27 or with the phone for £32.

Opted for just the BB.

Who remembers the NTL glory days of £9.99 BB?.
I pay £58 for 200mb, phone and basic tv

But I can get bt/sky with sports channels for less on a 12 month contract (plus cashback), admittedly it's a massive difference between quality of broadband but tempting to just do see what virgin offer in comparison and actually follow through with leaving so I can return on a new customer rate in a year...
SUCCESS! Retentions called me yesterday to try and stop me from ending my 15 year relationship with them. I was getting 200mb BB, full tv package except Sky Sports and Movies, Weekend calls, 1 TiVo box and 1 v+ box. As my line rental saver was expiring this month, it was due to go up to around £75, then the £4 increase hitting in November(?) would have meant me paying nearly £80 for this. Anyway, my broadband has been nowhere near 200mb and regularly 50mb due to oversubscription in my area. He offered me all this for £54, and that was including line rental and no increase in cost for 12 months. I asked if he could knock my BB down to 100mb and see if that affected the cost, no point in me having 200mb if I'm getting nowhere near. Anyway, it knocked it down to £49.

If I'd played hardball I might have got a better offer, however, I'm not one of those that wants something for nothing, I just want to pay a fair price. I'm very happy with the deal I got, and the pleasant guy on the phone.
I am really don't understand why Virgin Media rise up every years?
2014 increased up.
2016 November increased up 5%.
2017 November will be increase up 5% .
2018 January or March will be increase up 5%.
STILL not had my letter or email - anyone else still waiting?
Can i just change provider and not tell virgin I am changing cos of the letter ?
taiko7 m ago

Can i just change provider and not tell virgin I am changing cos of the …Can i just change provider and not tell virgin I am changing cos of the letter ?

Virgin will be putting your bill up in November, You are free to leave, just call them up and say I would like to give my notice due to price increase.
Simples
A little lost on why you wouldn't tell them first
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions