Groups

virgin Atlantic plane with faulty landing gear about to land

Theres a virgin Atlantic plane with messed up landing gear circling london about to come into gatwick for a none standard landing.

join with me in wishing them good luck, I'm sure they will be ok.

28 Comments

Banned

I wonder if it is possible to fit ejector seats onto passenger planes.
    Would probably be too expensive and reduce the plane capacity.

oh no crossing fingers and toes.

Villa

I wonder if it is possible to fit ejector seats onto passenger … I wonder if it is possible to fit ejector seats onto passenger planes.Would probably be too expensive and reduce the plane capacity.

And add an awful lot to the weight

Banned

chaywa

And add an awful lot to the weight

I might be wrong, but I heard an ejector seat can damage your back - possibly permanently.
    Certainly some RAF guys were telling me they would not be allowed to fly after a third usage of an ejector seat.

Any pilot worth their salt will be able to land that.

Original Poster

darkstar2003

oh no crossing fingers and toes.

they have been diverted to Gatwick so it must be the best place for it, they will all be ready with the foam etc I'm sure it will be fine, send positive vibes.

ejector seats are not the answer better maintenance is required they will not save lives at low altitude

Landed safely so I've read.

Original Poster

Its landed in one piece

Phew.

Banned

Cool.
    Back to politics and religion then.

Villa

I might be wrong, but I heard an ejector seat can damage your back - … I might be wrong, but I heard an ejector seat can damage your back - possibly permanently.Certainly some RAF guys were telling me they would not be allowed to fly after a third usage of an ejector seat.

Maybe because after their third time using one the higher ups realise they aren't a very good pilot

Video below is the plane that landed in Poland with no landing gear. Worth watching if you've never seen it.

Polish Pilot lands plane without its wheels: youtu.be/8DI…86A

Banned

ScubaDudes

Video below is the plane that landed in Poland with no landing gear. … Video below is the plane that landed in Poland with no landing gear. Worth watching if you've never seen it. Polish Pilot lands plane without its wheels: http://youtu.be/8DIy2Ot186A

Wow, this is why I dislike American reports - too much drama and build up, and not enough of the actual event.
    Around 20 seconds of actual video footage, stuffed in between 5 minutes of tension build up and pointless commentary.

Banned

after losing both engines to a bird strike landing an airbus a320 on the hudson river with no loss of life has to be the greatest crash landing
    youtube.com/wat…e7M
    en.wikipedia.org/wik…549
    Edited by: "whatsThePoint" 29th Dec 2015

Villa

I might be wrong, but I heard an ejector seat can damage your back - … I might be wrong, but I heard an ejector seat can damage your back - possibly permanently.Certainly some RAF guys were telling me they would not be allowed to fly after a third usage of an ejector seat.

I'd imagine they would be stopped from flying due to haivng used an ejector seat 3 times; not because of damage....

whatsThePoint

after losing both engines to a bird strike landing an airbus a320 on the … after losing both engines to a bird strike landing an airbus a320 on the hudson river with no loss of life has to be the greatest crash landinghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SL1A2d2e7Mhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Airways_Flight_1549

technically not a crash landing, pilot ditched it

Banned

CookinBat

technically not a crash landing, pilot ditched it

since when has misc had to be technically correct

whatsThePoint

since today

wonder how big a parachute(s) would have to be to work on an airliner?
    maybe even airbags too? can someone do the math?

bbc.com/fut…tes

To safely bring down a big commercial airliner such as a Boeing 747 with about 500 people on board, there would have to be 21 parachutes each the size of a football field, says Popov. “It takes about a square foot (0.1sq m) of material to bring down one pound (0.5kg) of aircraft.” (_;)

Edited by: "CookinBat" 29th Dec 2015

Banned

CookinBat

since today

just my luck

Villa

Wow, this is why I dislike American reports - too much drama and build … Wow, this is why I dislike American reports - too much drama and build up, and not enough of the actual event.Around 20 seconds of actual video footage, stuffed in between 5 minutes of tension build up and pointless commentary.

Here you go, clip only with no unnecessary reporting clicky

Banned

stefanw

Great, it sounded like being at a modern English construction site.

Villa

Cool.Back to politics and religion then.

What about football?.... oh wait X)

Sioux City was probably the most impressive crash landing ever. Yes people died, but there were survivors, and nobody has ever been able to replicate this landing.

m.youtube.com/wat…mt0

This Virgin incident wasn't much of a story - if it weren't for yesterday's accident I doubt it would have made the major news.

Banned

Comment

whatsThePoint

Lol

stefanw

Blown fuse, thats all it was.... bit embarrassing. Great landing though..

Edited by: "winchman" 30th Dec 2015
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64578
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains1211
      3. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…55
      4. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon44

See more discussions