Virgin broadband compensation?

Posted 9th Aug
Hi

I recently moved to VM & got M200 which should give ~ 200mbps. I am getting 16-20Mbps & not even in all rooms. I contacted customer service & they said there is performance upgrade program going on in my area so check after 11 Aug. They said once this issue is resolved they will discuss if/how much they would compensate.
If they accept, what should I ask - one month free ? Or more / less?

Thank you !
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
they tend to give you a refund/discount from the day you complained to the day they fix it, so if you rang up today and they fix it on the 11th, you'd get two days.

I haven't had to ring them for a few years, so the policy may have changed.
Isn't the (minimum) mandatory compensation fixed at a certain rate? Some info that may or may not be relevant here: ofcom.org.uk/pho…now
AndyRoyd09/08/2020 13:10

Isn't the (minimum) mandatory compensation fixed at a certain rate? Some …Isn't the (minimum) mandatory compensation fixed at a certain rate? Some info that may or may not be relevant here: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automatic-compensation-need-know

Just re-read OPs text, which implies potential internal issue not supply issue.
@NoddyBoy : what is the service speed hitting the hub as stated within the hub's control panel?
AndyRoyd09/08/2020 13:10

Isn't the (minimum) mandatory compensation fixed at a certain rate? Some …Isn't the (minimum) mandatory compensation fixed at a certain rate? Some info that may or may not be relevant here: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automatic-compensation-need-know

The automatic compensation for faults is £8 per day after the issue was reported and not fixed in 2 working days, it applies to a total loss of service, the OP has said the speed is slower and that isn't covered by the auto comp scheme.
_-Richie-_09/08/2020 14:33

The automatic compensation for faults is £8 per day after the issue was …The automatic compensation for faults is £8 per day after the issue was reported and not fixed in 2 working days, it applies to a total loss of service, the OP has said the speed is slower and that isn't covered by the auto comp scheme.

At this point the OPs source issue and actual speed at the hub has not been stated.
"Not even in all rooms" is a WiFi issue, not your broadband connection. Although from what they've said (and your speeds) seems you have that too.

Test using a ethernet connection to the hub to ascertain the broadband connection speed.

Wi-Fi speeds are more on you, although some providers do offer guarantees and free repeaters/additional mesh units.
Edited by: "adam.mt" 9th Aug
AndyRoyd09/08/2020 13:18

Just re-read OPs text, which implies potential internal issue not supply …Just re-read OPs text, which implies potential internal issue not supply issue.@NoddyBoy : what is the service speed hitting the hub as stated within the hub's control panel?

Hii
So when the customer service checked they themselves realised that ~200mbps is not hitting my hub (sorry not very technical myself).. I agree in my case there is no outage and only slow speed..
As to not getting wifi in all rooms , they said to try booster but only once their performance upgrade service is done at my area eta 11 Aug!
last time we lost broadband completely where we lived because some idiot from openreach cut the cable outside our house by accident. it took them a couple of weeks to repair the cable and we were compensated by sky for the number days that we didn't have broadband.

that is, they didn't charge us for those days. it was openreach that was at fault so they compensated us something like £150 for the inconvenience as I said we had to use our mobile data instead and that was very expensive

in your case, it seems to be that they are not providing the speed that they promised, so I am guessing it will be a refund of your monthly fee for the number of days where this speed was not achieved.
AndyRoyd09/08/2020 14:36

At this point the OPs source issue and actual speed at the hub has not …At this point the OPs source issue and actual speed at the hub has not been stated.

The OP stated they were getting 16-20Mbps, not 200 mbps which they subscribe to.
So it's not a total loss and not covered by auto comp, that was what I meant
I don't think you will get any comp. Its only after 2 WORKING DAYS and since covid the scheme has been suspended anyway
Had this recently - for over two weeks the internet would go down between 9am-9pm like clockwork. They kept promising compensation would be paid once resolved. After they fixed it, they refused to pay anything as it was not "complete lack of service". Lying scumbags.41623342-ftaJy.jpg
In the past if there’s an existing call logged which affects you then they should be able to pay compensation from the day you report it to the day that the fault ref states it will be resolved on. I’d ring them back and query why you need to wait and demand that you want compensation as the issue is affecting you right now.
mutley109/08/2020 15:47

last time we lost broadband completely where we lived because some idiot …last time we lost broadband completely where we lived because some idiot from openreach cut the cable outside our house by accident. it took them a couple of weeks to repair the cable and we were compensated by sky for the number days that we didn't have broadband.that is, they didn't charge us for those days. it was openreach that was at fault so they compensated us something like £150 for the inconvenience as I said we had to use our mobile data instead and that was very expensive in your case, it seems to be that they are not providing the speed that they promised, so I am guessing it will be a refund of your monthly fee for the number of days where this speed was not achieved.

£150 sounds decent. My connection was due on 9th July. They haven’t been able to connect me. The broadband works but the phone line doesn’t. I’m not being billed for service and I keep getting texts every so often saying we’re working on the problem and will update you in a week. That’s with Now tv.
joxeruk200009/08/2020 22:37

£150 sounds decent. My connection was due on 9th July. They haven’t been ab …£150 sounds decent. My connection was due on 9th July. They haven’t been able to connect me. The broadband works but the phone line doesn’t. I’m not being billed for service and I keep getting texts every so often saying we’re working on the problem and will update you in a week. That’s with Now tv.

yeah, it was a reasonable amount of compensation as they cut the telephone cable by mistake so we also lost the phone line. it was some years ago when data from a mobile sim was very expensive so they gave us compensation for the cost that we would have spent on data to get equivalent internet connection and for the loss of the landline so we would have had to use our mobile for calls.

luckily i happened to have got free data from t-mobile at the time but i didn't tell them this neither did I tell them we never use the telephone landline really

i think they initially offered £100 but I got them to increase it to £150.
This is exactly what has been happening to my vm service, have the same 200mbps broadband of which i barely get 30-40mbps with a direct ethernet connection and 18-25 through wifi. I contacted VM a couple of weeks ago and they discovered the same as yours, speed drop was relevant to cables going into the router and not my internal setup.

They sent an engineer out 3 days later who changed all my connectors and ran a few further tests. The engineer then reported that the problem was with the cable coming from the main distribution box to our house. It was then reported back to VM and they said they will send out a digging and reinstatement team to lay a new cable down. Yesterday this team arrived and carried out the works. I have still yet to fully test the system to see if its made any difference.

However i did run a small wifi test last night in my bedroom which the wifi is not great in, before the upgrade it was running around 18-20mbps, now it runs around 60mbps. I will run a direct cable to router test later and see if that is now reaching the correct speeds.

Further to this i intend on complaining and requesting compensation on the basis of until i found the time to report this problem and for them to finally send a team out. I have complained a few times in the past but they kept warning me that if they send someone out and they find the issue is with my internal setup i would be liable for the call out charges for the engineer. They never ran their basis tests. Until the most recent call where i called the retention team and said i would leave them if they dont send an engineer out free of charge regardless of where the issue was, this is when they actually ran the proper tests and sent the engineer out.

Side Note: When the first engineer came he also said how terrible the latest superhub is and how many native issues hes seen in other customers houses. In his words "this router tries to do too much for its own good, the previous model was VMs best". Further to that he explained that the reason why it does too much for its own good is due to the dual band capability, the previous had a merged version which means the distance you are from the router dictates which ghz wifi you would be connected to and only one ssid would be shown on your wifi networks. Whereas the newer model has it as 2 separate ssids this is what apparently is putting too much load on the router.
So finally they refused to pay any compensation as it was not total loss of service & for range they will provide me booster
NoddyBoy11/08/2020 15:43

So finally they refused to pay any compensation as it was not total loss …So finally they refused to pay any compensation as it was not total loss of service & for range they will provide me booster

Utterly ridiculous, i would cancel my contract with them and seek legal advice on basis of mis-advertised service
41642395-xCxDQ.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text