Virgin broadband - loyalty discount

Found 12th Aug 2014
Virgin are doing a price hike in October so its a good time to renegotiate contracts, i was on a £19 pm for 50mb broadband, i got it down to £16.50 pm for 12 months.

store.virginmedia.com/dis…tml

*****The price hike affects customers with broadband ONLY*****

If you have a Virgin Media landline or TV with them, you are not affected.
- Transformers
Community Updates
31 Comments
i didnt think it would be so cold £26.50 broadband for £16.50
can you still negotiate if you are still within contract?
kamakazi

can you still negotiate if you are still within contract?

yea because they have increased the prices you have the right to cancel. so you can get out of it. they will offer you a better deal.
Currently paying £26.50 for broadband alone and received the letter today saying it's going up another £1.50 yet again, shall be giving them a call, cheers mate!
thanks for the heads up
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n190/skunk_monkey/Untitled_zpscaa1728c.png
How would I go around negotiating a better contract with VM? We've been with VM before they were even VM (NTL) currently paying £40 for:
- Talk Evening & Weekend
- Broadband L (Up To 20mb)

I really haven't had the time recently to research into getting a better contract with VM, additionally I may be moving within the year so I'm slightly worried that getting a better deal will result in a new 12 month contract with them.

Edited by: "BrumGB" 12th Aug 2014
brendanhickey

i didnt think it would be so cold £26.50 broadband for £16.50

Well I got 100mb for £15 a month and no contract a few days ago so it's not brilliant in comparison!
callum9999

Well I got 100mb for £15 a month and no contract a few days ago so it's … Well I got 100mb for £15 a month and no contract a few days ago so it's not brilliant in comparison!

wow you must have got someone on a Friday when they where in a good mood.
BrumGB

How would I go around negotiating a better contract with VM? We've been … How would I go around negotiating a better contract with VM? We've been with VM before they were even VM (NTL) currently paying £40 for:- Talk Evening & Weekend- Broadband L (Up To 20mb)I really haven't had the time recently to research into getting a better contract with VM, additionally I may be moving within the year so I'm slightly worried that getting a better deal will result in a new 12 month contract with them.

. I go online and do it via chat on the website.
BrumGB

How would I go around negotiating a better contract with VM? We've been … How would I go around negotiating a better contract with VM? We've been with VM before they were even VM (NTL) currently paying £40 for:- Talk Evening & Weekend- Broadband L (Up To 20mb)I really haven't had the time recently to research into getting a better contract with VM, additionally I may be moving within the year so I'm slightly worried that getting a better deal will result in a new 12 month contract with them.

normally you go through to retentions and say that you think you're paying too much and can they get you a better deal. I find if you speak to retentions nicely, they always do a good deal. but not sure where you would stand with a potential move on the cards. always go through to retentions and not the call centres based abroad.
BrumGB

you can also make savings by paying for your yearly line rental upfront thus saving about £50. Ive paid for my line rental upfront and pay £10 a month for 50meg BB(should be about £20 but get a £10 discount per month as a loyalty bonus).
Ive already got a £7.50 customer loyalty discount and have had this for 3 years now

Have I got any more room fir haggling

Im unsure
ashmac

Ive already got a £7.50 customer loyalty discount and have had this for … Ive already got a £7.50 customer loyalty discount and have had this for 3 years nowHave I got any more room fir hagglingIm unsure

With virgin, you always have more room to haggle imo. Just be polite and see what happens. Sometimes, upgrading services might even work out cheaper as you may be entitled to more discount. You just need to talk to them and say you're trying to get the best deal, you enjoy virgins services and see what they can do.
Any idea if this applies to all customers? Only had broadband active for just under 1 month. Not currently at the address either so can't check post
callum9999

Well I got 100mb for £15 a month and no contract a few days ago so it's … Well I got 100mb for £15 a month and no contract a few days ago so it's not brilliant in comparison!

Did you just haggle with them?

Or did you actually put in a request to cancel, and then get a callback with that offer?
Transformers

Did you just haggle with them? Or did you actually put in a request to … Did you just haggle with them? Or did you actually put in a request to cancel, and then get a callback with that offer?

I actually cancelled (I moved house to somewhere that already had broadband) then I got a call from them offering 50mb + a phoneline for £15. I asked if they could get it any cheaper without the phone line a few times as I don't need it and they then offered 100mb for the same price.

Though there doesn't seem to be much logic with their retentions system (which makes sense I guess, if it was easy and predictable then everyone would be doing it!) so who knows whether you'd be able to get the same!
callum9999

I actually cancelled (I moved house to somewhere that already had … I actually cancelled (I moved house to somewhere that already had broadband) then I got a call from them offering 50mb + a phoneline for £15. I asked if they could get it any cheaper without the phone line a few times as I don't need it and they then offered 100mb for the same price.Though there doesn't seem to be much logic with their retentions system (which makes sense I guess, if it was easy and predictable then everyone would be doing it!) so who knows whether you'd be able to get the same!

If Line Rental is included within that £15 price, then you're also getting the 'Talk Weekends' package free too, that's an amazing offer.

PS: How long did it take for them to call you back once you had cancelled?

And from your experience, is it true that the callbacks offer better deals then when you originally put the cancellation through? Thanks.
Transformers

If Line Rental is included within that £15 price, then you're also … If Line Rental is included within that £15 price, then you're also getting the 'Talk Weekends' package free too, that's an amazing offer.PS: How long did it take for them to call you back once you had cancelled? And from your experience, is it true that the callbacks offer better deals then when you originally put the cancellation through? Thanks.

Presumably, I genuinely don't need a phone line though so have no idea!

I think they started calling right away but I didn't answer them, then eventually I got an email from them. I don't remember what I was offered when I cancelled. I don't recall actually being offered anything come to think of it - though I was upfront in telling them I was moving to a house that already had broadband which was under contract so presumably that's why I wasn't bribed to stay!
BrumGB

you are getting ripped off

i pay £29 for

line rental
talk weekends and evening
L Tv
50mbps bb
Called to cancel as 50mb broadband is going up from £25 to £26.50, I was offered £19, then £20.50 when the price rise comes in so I cancelled. So you think they'll call me back or is that the best they can do?
I am only 5 months into a contract, do you think I have grounds to call and cancel because of the price rise? I though this sort of thing had been cleared due to a big thing about it in the media a year or 2 ago, and it will probably be in my terms and conditions to say Virgin can increase the price at any time.

Or am I wrong?

I am currently about to go up to the standard 30 odd quid a month for basic 50MB BB and phone line after my 6 months at £23.99. So I guess I will get hit by even more soon.
my current reduced package deal runs out in November so it was on the cards to ring oct anyway to discuss new price reduction even more reason to do so now
How much is the price going up by? Is there a percentage for it? Thanks.
Shaunyboy80

Currently paying £26.50 for broadband alone and received the letter today … Currently paying £26.50 for broadband alone and received the letter today saying it's going up another £1.50 yet again, shall be giving them a call, cheers mate!

Also paying £26.50,I remember finding out I was paying to much and got it down to £21.50 with a long phone call.It
keeps creeping up £1.50 a time.Which is the best number(cheapest) way to phone them to renegotiate or cancel.Is it
possible to cancel online as well as get the price down?
dont forget you can save £50 by paying a years line rental up front
chocci

dont forget you can save £50 by paying a years line rental up front

Chocci, I've asked this in another thread but I'll you if you don't mind. What's the best way to get a hub 2? My hub 1 is playing up for the past week and wanted to blag one free.
EN1GMA

Chocci, I've asked this in another thread but I'll you if you don't mind. … Chocci, I've asked this in another thread but I'll you if you don't mind. What's the best way to get a hub 2? My hub 1 is playing up for the past week and wanted to blag one free.

I only have the superhub 1 but that works fine for me
chocci

I only have the superhub 1 but that works fine for me

oh yah I got a free super hub 2 just ask them for one when ur doing ur contract
brendanhickey

oh yah I got a free super hub 2 just ask them for one when ur doing ur … oh yah I got a free super hub 2 just ask them for one when ur doing ur contract

mine works fine so no point
Dellboy2

Also paying £26.50,I remember finding out I was paying to much and got it … Also paying £26.50,I remember finding out I was paying to much and got it down to £21.50 with a long phone call.Itkeeps creeping up £1.50 a time.Which is the best number(cheapest) way to phone them to renegotiate or cancel.Is itpossible to cancel online as well as get the price down?

Delboy2, I'm on Virgin mobile so was able to phone 150 from that for free, girl put me through to customer services, explained the situation and told them I could no longer afford it could she offer a better deal and straight away she took my price down to £17.50 on a 12 month contract, possibly could have haggled for more but was happy with that.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants