Virgin Broadband speedboost you need to activate it!

Found 10th Nov 2015
If you are a Virgin Broadband customer you might know they are "giving" you a speed boost. You could register your interest a month or so ago when they announced this, however it turns out that you have to log into your account to activate it unlike other years wonder how many people won't realise this and think their "free" speed up dates will just happen.

Of course they aren't giving it free as they have recently announced they will be upping prices for all broadband customers. make sure you get them to cancel your account so you get a discount for staying.
Community Updates
42 Comments
Superb, just signed up, many thanks.
Nice, just done. 150mb on route
200Mbs... Nice one.
I just got a recent upgrade with BT, I now have a massive 1.9meg!
I've learned to be concerned about virginmedias' 'free' upgrades.

http://i.imgur.com/IwzkKpi.gif

- all the other 'freebies' were swiftly followed by a string of price increases over the next few months
tryn2help

I've learned to be concerned about virginmedias' 'free' upgrades.- all … I've learned to be concerned about virginmedias' 'free' upgrades.- all the other 'freebies' were swiftly followed by a string of price increases over the next few months

Just call them up and refuse to pay the increase. It's worked for me for the past few times (touch wood)
I thought the price increase was for users with broadband only/limited services.
Can't see where to upgrade.
Edited by: "rev6" 10th Nov 2015
rev6

I thought the price increase was for users with broadband only/limited … I thought the price increase was for users with broadband only/limited services.Can't see where to upgrade.

Yes, you're correct, it's been worded as a 'boost' not an upgrade.
Original Poster
rev6

I thought the price increase was for users with broadband only/limited … I thought the price increase was for users with broadband only/limited services.Can't see where to upgrade.

Another price rise announced yesterday moneysavingexpert.com/new…kes. If you log into your account there should be something on the main page about a boost if your area is ready it says click to activate.
When I logged on a few weeks ago said mine not avail till end of November so not for everyone just yet
rev6

mrwhitelabel

When I logged on a few weeks ago said mine not avail till end of November … When I logged on a few weeks ago said mine not avail till end of November so not for everyone just yet

Thanks. I guess it's another phone call to Virgin Media then.

It was July the other week, now March here.
last time I did this it seemed to get slower
Original Poster
mrwhitelabel

When I logged on a few weeks ago said mine not avail till end of November … When I logged on a few weeks ago said mine not avail till end of November so not for everyone just yet

ours was one of the end of November ones but shows now, no idea how long its being shown as needing to be activated but as Rev6 says its ever changing last year increase came through quicker than they first said as well.
Looks like they might try and get more money out of me for my 'free' boost oO

NO CHANCE!

Summary

SuperFibre 70
We'll email you in the next 48 hours to let you know the exact cost of your order (even if it's free or there’s no change to your monthly bill). Don't worry, if there is a change to your bill, you'll get the very best price we can give you based on the mix of services in your package. And remember, if you change your mind about upgrading, you can cancel your new services within 7 days.
furbars

last time I did this it seemed to get slower

Its probably because your area is congested, we use to get <20Mb from 6PM till late night until last month when they upgraded our area now its 50+ always

Got about £20 in credit for reporting the issue several times so can't complain

Btw another price increase incoming, take 30mins once you receive letter to call retentions. Most likely they'd rather not lose you over few quid and remove the increase or take it as a chance to get a better deal Sadly most people can't be bothered and will just take it on.

Edited by: "kiish" 11th Nov 2015
kiish

Its probably because your area is congested, we use to get

I would say thankfully most cant be bothered rather than sadly

More discounts for those that can

This doesn't add new 12 month by activating does it ?
mine aqlso said they would contact me with the cost lol jokers
chocci

Looks like they might try and get more money out of me for my 'free' … Looks like they might try and get more money out of me for my 'free' boost oONO CHANCE!SummarySuperFibre 70We'll email you in the next 48 hours to let you know the exact cost of your order (even if it's free or there’s no change to your monthly bill). Don't worry, if there is a change to your bill, you'll get the very best price we can give you based on the mix of services in your package. And remember, if you change your mind about upgrading, you can cancel your new services within 7 days.

It does say, even if free.

I received the email this morning. Same price, just increased speed.
benjammin316

It does say, even if free. I received the email this morning. Same … It does say, even if free. I received the email this morning. Same price, just increased speed.

Yes I know what 'if' means oO
chocci

Yes I know what 'if' means oO

Just letting you know, it didn't cost any more, Broseph
Original Poster
just logged back in and its showing that the speed has been boosted, no email like they promised.
eslick

just logged back in and its showing that the speed has been boosted, no … just logged back in and its showing that the speed has been boosted, no email like they promised.

I've logged on can't see anywhere to activate and no getting this when was meant to be end of Nov

http://s15.postimg.org/3tcr9bb5n/IMG_20151111_151256.jpg
Original Poster
mrwhitelabel

I've logged on can't see anywhere to activate and no getting this when … I've logged on can't see anywhere to activate and no getting this when was meant to be end of Nov

that gets replaced with the activation screen when they are ready for you to be boosted, might be worth checking back as others have said theirs has been brought forward.
eslick

that gets replaced with the activation screen when they are ready for you … that gets replaced with the activation screen when they are ready for you to be boosted, might be worth checking back as others have said theirs has been brought forward.

Mine was Nov a few weeks ago today I logged on and now it's march
Original Poster
mrwhitelabel

Mine was Nov a few weeks ago today I logged on and now it's march

that's no good
got my new hub coming next week, ordered it a couple of days ago. 200mb here we come
mrwhitelabel

This doesn't add new 12 month by activating does it ?

If you're not in a contract right now then yes most likely.
eslick

Another price rise announced yesterday … Another price rise announced yesterday http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/broadband/2015/11/how-to-beat-virgin-media-broadband-and-tv-price-hikes. If you log into your account there should be something on the main page about a boost if your area is ready it says click to activate.

Just got my email from virginmedia £4.49 price increase

I seem to get two or three price increases every year for the past few years - I'm now paying almost 3 times my original deal - and all I've had in return is their 'free' boosts to bb speed - which I'm not sure I actually need (it's a bit like having a gamer pc and never playing games).

Anyhoo, does anyone know an easy way to check virginmedia record of price increases (I'd like to have some facts before arguing with them); I've been scouring the net, but can't find anything other than media reports re various increases.
Original Poster
tryn2help

Just got my email from virginmedia £4.49 price increase :(I seem to get … Just got my email from virginmedia £4.49 price increase :(I seem to get two or three price increases every year for the past few years - I'm now paying almost 3 times my original deal - and all I've had in return is their 'free' boosts to bb speed - which I'm not sure I actually need (it's a bit like having a gamer pc and never playing games). Anyhoo, does anyone know an easy way to check virginmedia record of price increases (I'd like to have some facts before arguing with them); I've been scouring the net, but can't find anything other than media reports re various increases.

cant help you on it but remember if you are in a contract you can cancel at any time with these increases, also increase time is a good time to tell them you want to cancel. they will most probably offer you a discount to stay if they don't make sure you put in the cancelation and their retentions team will be in contact within a few days. Tell them sky is going to be able to give you X they cant check but it helps you get a deal. Have a look on monesavingexperts forums and see what others are getting or use the sky information in the 75% off thread on here. Good luck
Thanks OP. Much appreciated.
Mine has just gone from 50mbps to :-

Download 75.13 Mb/s Upload 4.84 Mb/s

phoned Virgin up to alter my delivery date and was told there was an issue with the original order and hadn't been processed (good job I rang)
Apparently the issue was that when I ordered the new hub to be delivered I was quoted £5.99 delivery charge only.. was supposed to be £20 delivery charge?? whut? luckily she has changed the date for me and kept the initial £5.99 charge!
Yodel will now be delivering it next Thursday and I just have to plug in and activate it and get my 200mb
Mine was upgraded to 150 for free, had to pay for 200.
tryn2help

Just got my email from virginmedia £4.49 price increase :(I seem to get … Just got my email from virginmedia £4.49 price increase :(I seem to get two or three price increases every year for the past few years - I'm now paying almost 3 times my original deal - and all I've had in return is their 'free' boosts to bb speed - which I'm not sure I actually need (it's a bit like having a gamer pc and never playing games). Anyhoo, does anyone know an easy way to check virginmedia record of price increases (I'd like to have some facts before arguing with them); I've been scouring the net, but can't find anything other than media reports re various increases.

They go up once a year.

chocci

Mine has just gone from 50mbps to :-Download 75.13 Mb/s Upload 4.84 Mb/s

Still saying March here...
Just got an email my bill will be going up by £3.50 from Feb next year. I think I'm actually going to cancel. I've also got the free sky offer from last June and the speed is fine, even for HD footy.

My current bill is£8 so this is a near enough 50% increase.

Service from Virgin is great but this increase is ridiculous.
I have no idea where I would find the upgrade offer in 'myvirginmedia'. Nothing stands out for me, anyone help?
Original Poster
NEtech

I have no idea where I would find the upgrade offer in 'myvirginmedia'. … I have no idea where I would find the upgrade offer in 'myvirginmedia'. Nothing stands out for me, anyone help?

When you first log in there is normally a banner which promotes the upgrade, may be your area isn't being boosted for a while. I would do a webchat with them and ask then yours is.

Just found a page where you can check.

help.virginmedia.com/sys…ble

Edited by: "eslick" 13th Nov 2015
NEtech

I have no idea where I would find the upgrade offer in 'myvirginmedia'. … I have no idea where I would find the upgrade offer in 'myvirginmedia'. Nothing stands out for me, anyone help?

Clear any cookies for that website.
eslick

When you first log in there is normally a banner which promotes the … When you first log in there is normally a banner which promotes the upgrade, may be your area isn't being boosted for a while. I would do a webchat with them and ask then yours is.Just found a page where you can check. http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=51538&CURRENT_CMD=SEARCH&CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&USERTYPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable

rev6

Clear any cookies for that website.

Thanks guys for the help, looks like it is going to be next year for Middlesbrough as it states they will contact us in December to let us know about the upgrade. All is good as I plan to stay with them anyway so any extra is a bonus.
Edited by: "NEtech" 13th Nov 2015
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions