Virgin Cable Router/Modem - Help needed.

Hi All,
Wonder if you can help, my Uncle is with Virgin Cable and the router supplied by them only has 1 connection which he uses for his PC, he has since got a 360 and now needs at least 2 inputs for the PC and the 360.

What should I/he be looking for and how much?

They have offered him another router for £40, if thats any good?

Cheers for the help.

16 Comments

He could get one for free from them if he is on the right package.

You can get basic routers for about £20.

Buy a hub/switch. A few quid off ebay

Have a look here in the FS/FT threads, for a cable router. If he does not need wireless then basic routers can be picked up for around a tenner, cheapo wireless for around double that on various sites like ebuyer etc.
OR
Tell virgin media that unless they give him a free wireless router he is off somewhere else.

Shengis;6022459

Buy a hub/switch. A few quid off ebay

Will still need a router or a spare ethernet port on the comp.

Original Poster

Cheers folks

Will this be better than the 1 they are offering? (sorry I don't have info of the 1 they are)

misco.co.uk/app…351

LFC Muppet;6022487

Cheers folksWill this be better than the 1 they are offering? (sorry I … Cheers folksWill this be better than the 1 they are offering? (sorry I don't have info of the 1 they are)http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=321540&sourceid=1351

Yes, the one they supply is a wireless G netgear. That one is wireless N which has better range and speed. the computer will need a wireless N dongle or something to get the full speed advantage though.

deathtrap3000;6022485

Will still need a router or a spare ethernet port on the comp.

What's wrong with the router he already has?

Shengis;6022529

VM hasnt supplied a router with 1 connection. I think he means the modem.

Original Poster

Shengis;6022529

it only has 1 port, he needs 3. Computer, 360 and something else (not sure).

Don't think he's too bothered about wireless.

Original Poster

deathtrap3000;6022550

VM hasnt supplied a router with 1 connection. I think he means the modem.

Yeah, think its a modem. Sorry bit of a newbie here.

Well anyway, check the following pic or mine (most of the stuff doesn't show up for some reason :lol:). For gateway read router/modem :thumbsup:

http://www.shengis.net/hukdpics/routemap.jpg

This ^

guilbert53;6023854

Virgin do supply a free router to certain … Virgin do supply a free router to certain customershttp://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=688715

I believe that is only the case for new customers or those that have never had Virgin Broadband before (ie: only had phone/tv until now).

Banned

my Uncle is with Virgin Cable and the router supplied by them only has 1 connection which he uses for his PC

He has not got a router he has a modem :thumbsup:, i've got a few spares of virgin media and one spare of my own

got a rangemax netgear and dongle off virgin media
got a white netgear router
and my own belkin router which i used for my 360 :thumbsup:

i called up and said i had my 360 connected through ethernet and had just purchased a laptop and it had wireless capabilities they were more than happy to send me a free router ( and tghat was when i was on the 2MB package)

Since moving i've upgraded to the 50Mb so got a new modem and router , saw the router and adapter i recieved was retailing for £119.99 in PC world :w00t:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. GOT Leaks again416
    2. Any Xbox One news today?2356123
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763949
    4. Stop everything, Nutella is bringing a biscuit snack to the market - Metro1312

See more discussions