Groups

virgin fibre optic broadband

my inet speed is ridiculously slow... around 384kb/s paying for 8mg from talktalk but cant help it being far from exchange.... hence everything is slow... esp torrents...obvioulsy....

now being far from exchange i cant get over this with normal broadband..so was wondering if the fibre optiic was realy the answer as a mate of mine who works for bt said it wasnt guranteed....bt arelaunchin fibre optic soon as well...but always had porblems with bt so will go for virgin.....

anyways...feedback please. thanks

20 Comments

Mine has always been guaranteed, well unless I was capped for downloading torrents

I've never had any problems with their service anyway, I did have some billing issues where I couldn't get them to let me pay for the services I used but I got there eventually.

Their 20MB service is overkill in my opinion, 10MB is more than reasonable and unless your a very heavy downloader there is no point in getting the 20MB service.

Original Poster

thanks rediron...was thinking of going for the 2mb..would be a massive jump for me from mine.

so do u get the full 10mb? what was ur speed previous to this provider?

Original Poster

ps do u have to get their wireless router?

magicbeans;3063146

thanks rediron...was thinking of going for the 2mb..would be a massive … thanks rediron...was thinking of going for the 2mb..would be a massive jump for me from mine. so do u get the full 10mb? what was ur speed previous to this provider?

I have 2 broadband providers lol, BT and Virgin

I have BT's 8MB service which I get about 5MB's I get 10MB's on Virgin

The reason I have two is I download a lot so have 2 pc's running on separate connections

magicbeans;3063151

No, you can buy a Cable router from PC world etc though if you change your mind at a later point and decide you want one.

Hi hun... I pay for the 20mg BB from Virgin and get between 10mg & 17mg... And they only supply you with a basic modem. I had to buy my own wireless router

magicbeans;3063151

ive been with them for 2 years and not had a wireless router from them.

I always get very close to the speed im paying for.

Well worth the money

Original Poster

thanks...its just that i already have a wireless router...and all the microfilter and modem stuff from talk talk... but then they r gonna fob it off and so no no u neeeeeeeed it...which makes me think whats the point of getting the 2mb service as u have to pay 40 quid for the router...might as well pay 8 pound a month for 10mb and free router??

what to do... :thinking:

call Virgin media and see what they can offer you.

Original Poster

done jus that stejosh....

got 2mb and free evenings and weekend calls for 19quid for 12minths...is a 12monh contract as well.....

jus calling talktalk to cancel my broadband....virgin will sort all else out.

also guy told me not to get virgin dsl...better to get from pc world..so anyone know any cheap dsl modems?!?

Banned

magicbeans;3063359

done jus that stejosh....got 2mb and free evenings and weekend calls for … done jus that stejosh....got 2mb and free evenings and weekend calls for 19quid for 12minths...is a 12monh contract as well..... jus calling talktalk to cancel my broadband....virgin will sort all else out.also guy told me not to get virgin dsl...better to get from pc world..so anyone know any cheap dsl modems?!?

Are you getting virgin cable or virgin down the existing telephone line?

VM supply the modem anyway. just let them know you want to use it for a laptop and they supply a free wireless router too.

Original Poster

errm i think down exisiting virgin line....

dont supply modem as im on 2mb...have to be 10mb... and i already have the router...

just cant get to talktalk..they were offering to up my speed by adusting phone line or something so i said go on..but then jus spent ages listening to music....now cant get back to cancellations...its been what..2 hours... wat a joke! just sick of em..whats virgins customer services like

Virgin's Customer Service is terrible.

Unless your capped (for downloading too much during their STRICT periods) you'll get the full speed that you're signed upto.

384kb/s on an 8mb service sounds about right, if you can torrent at that speed, thats not bad at all

If your just getting Virgin ADSL, the service is gonna be provided over the same pair off copper wires as the Talk Talk service, you need to live in a Virgin (cabled) area to take advantage of there hybrid fibre offering (it's not fibre all the way as they would have you believe).

Banned

AugQX;3064038

384kb/s on an 8mb service sounds about right, if you can torrent at that … 384kb/s on an 8mb service sounds about right, if you can torrent at that speed, thats not bad at all

:w00t:

8mb should download at 8000kb/s (AKA 1000KB/s)

384kb/s is pretty awful.

csiman;3064880

:w00t:8mb should download at 8000kb/s (AKA 1000KB/s)384kb/s is pretty … :w00t:8mb should download at 8000kb/s (AKA 1000KB/s)384kb/s is pretty awful.

although it does depend on the torrent downloaded,on zdnet speed test mine came up as 374kbps, and I can occasasionally get that speed by DLing using my browser

magibeans is lucky that the ISP is not throttling torrents as heavily as other ISPs like Karoo

AugQX;3065361

although it does depend on the torrent downloaded,on zdnet speed test … although it does depend on the torrent downloaded,on zdnet speed test mine came up as 374kbps, and I can occasasionally get that speed by DLing using my browsermagibeans is lucky that the ISP is not throttling torrents as heavily as other ISPs like Karoo

I was getting 20meg on my Virgin Media the other day while I was downloading some torrents.

deathtrap3000;3065398

I was getting 20meg on my Virgin Media the other day while I was … I was getting 20meg on my Virgin Media the other day while I was downloading some torrents.

i'm just jealous now! what's that 2.5MB/s?

AugQX;3065411

i'm just jealous now! what's that 2.5MB/s?

Yeh that was the peak. It was averaging just under 2MB/s

Original Poster

cancelled broadband...apparently live in a fibre optic area and also they will arange phone line change as i will get to keep number..talktalk were convinced i wont....

too fed up spent best part of three hours with talktalk trying to get them to let me cancel..just got fed up....think i would have said please cancel if they had said it would mean being punched in the face!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Did you know?2951
      2. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?2336
      3. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 892529
      4. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…66

See more discussions