Expired

Virgin - How can I get full speed - Home hubs / Wifi?

Found 7th Sep 2014
Just moved house and we've had cable put on. I get around 110Mbps on my S4 via WiFi. Our notebook connects @ around 50Mbps on WiFi n.

Upstairs however my main PC on WiFi g gets just over 40Mbps.

I've connected my TP-Link homeplugs (200Mbps) and it's between 20-25Mbps. I've checked that the cables are all Cat5e.

Any suggestions as to whether the homeplug speeds are correct or should I be able to pull higher speeds then I am?

I spoke to Virgin who weren't much help.

Anyone know what speeds I can get with Wifi n/ac, 200Mb homeplugs, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Chris
Community Updates
29 Comments
Urgh I used to have this problem all the time. I have the 500mbps power lines and only got 35mbps on my 100mb package on VM. That speed dramatically increased to 90mbps when I moved the powerline and into another wall socket. You should get atleast 100mbps on your powerlines as they're powerful enough
It depends on your laptop/pc wifi hardware. Some cant get high speed on wifi. Have you tried connecting Ethernet cable, it does make a huge difference over wifi.
Original Poster
thanks, will try another point and see if it improves.
TheGimp

thanks, will try another point and see if it improves.

Yeah let us know, hopefully you'll get better speeds!
Banned
Buy N900 or AC dongles for the pc
Original Poster
thegame999

It depends on your laptop/pc wifi hardware. Some cant get high speed on … It depends on your laptop/pc wifi hardware. Some cant get high speed on wifi. Have you tried connecting Ethernet cable, it does make a huge difference over wifi.

Yep, trying with homeplugs.. it's a fairly old home but the speed seems to be very stable during the test. I've not a lot of options when it comes to power sockets but I have moved it. Unfortunately the speed did not improve.
TheMan_Aman

Urgh I used to have this problem all the time. I have the 500mbps power … Urgh I used to have this problem all the time. I have the 500mbps power lines and only got 35mbps on my 100mb package on VM. That speed dramatically increased to 90mbps when I moved the powerline and into another wall socket. You should get atleast 100mbps on your powerlines as they're powerful enough

You won't get 100Mbps download with 200Mbps homeplugs.
I max out my wifi connection with one of virgins wifi adapters, super hub 2, in a USB3 port.
152Mbps.
Edited by: "rev6" 7th Sep 2014
rev6

You won't get 100Mbps download with 200Mbps homeplugs.I max out my wifi … You won't get 100Mbps download with 200Mbps homeplugs.I max out my wifi connection with one of virgins wifi adapters, super hub 2, in a USB3 port.152Mbps.

How does a Wi-Fi adapter in a USB 3.0 port instead of a USB 2.0 increase speed?

It doesn't.
200Mbps HomePlugs are good for about 5MB/s download, a little more with 500Mbps ones and more again with Gigabit adapters (I get about 12MB/s across my LAN with Gigabit adapters). If you want the best out of that line you need to run Cat5e.
Edited by: "josephmccowie" 7th Sep 2014
mboora

How does a Wi-Fi adapter in a USB 3.0 port instead of a USB 2.0 increase … How does a Wi-Fi adapter in a USB 3.0 port instead of a USB 2.0 increase speed?It doesn't.

My wifi performs better in the USB3 port. Can I explain why, no, but it does.

josephmccowie

200Mbps HomePlugs are good for about 5MB/s download, a little more with … 200Mbps HomePlugs are good for about 5MB/s download, a little more with 500Mbps ones and more again with Gigabit adapters (I get about 12MB/s across my LAN with Gigabit adapters). If you want the best out of that line you need to run Cat5e.

I got about 6MBps maximum with 200Mbps plugs.

Edited by: "rev6" 7th Sep 2014
Banned
mboora

How does a Wi-Fi adapter in a USB 3.0 port instead of a USB 2.0 increase … How does a Wi-Fi adapter in a USB 3.0 port instead of a USB 2.0 increase speed?It doesn't.

Sorry you are incorrect

USB 3.0 has transmission speeds of up to 5 Gbit/s, which is ten times faster than USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/s) before taking into account that USB 3.0 is full duplex whereas USB 2.0 is half duplex, giving USB 3.0 the potential total bandwidth if utilized both ways to twenty times that of USB 2.0.

Although at 152mbps it shouldn't be an issue to use USB 2.0 .

Again with the current range of homeplugs 500 and under you are unlikely to get the full 152 even with a 500mbps.

You need to use either ethernet cable, gigabit homeplug or N900+ (AC etc) wifi dongles to get your full speed.

Edited by: "Musician" 8th Sep 2014
300Mbps Virgin Wi-Fi adapter.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3561617122.png
Banned
rev6

300Mbps Virgin Wi-Fi adapter.

That's good, that must be pushing that wifi adapter to it's limits. Would like to try 2 of those running speedtest simultaneously 20 foot away from router on 2.4ghz in a busy area
Edited by: "Musician" 8th Sep 2014
Musician

That's good, that must be pushing that wifi adapter to it's limits. Would … That's good, that must be pushing that wifi adapter to it's limits. Would like to try 2 of those running speedtest simultaneously 20 foot away from router on 2.4ghz in a busy area

It wouldn't get that speed at 2.4Ghz.
Banned
rev6

It wouldn't get that speed at 2.4Ghz.

Exactly, the higher throughput of 5ghz is offset by the lower range in most houses. Great if you use say a laptop in the same room as the wireless. Not so good if you're upstairs.
Musician

Exactly, the higher throughput of 5ghz is offset by the lower range in … Exactly, the higher throughput of 5ghz is offset by the lower range in most houses. Great if you use say a laptop in the same room as the wireless. Not so good if you're upstairs.

I am upstairs.
Banned
rev6

I am upstairs.

Router in room below?
Musician

Router in room below?

Not quite. Signal is strong though.
Banned
rev6

Not quite. Signal is strong though.

Cool, good to know you do that on an N300, means I'll be safe to get the full whack when I go up from 100 to 152. I considered N600's put got N900's to be extra future proof. In hindsight I wish I'd gone the AC route. Whatever you get though they bring out better. Should be good for a couple of years though. I have 5ghz off most of the time as it interferes with the kids wii U but get still get the full 100 over wireless on 2.4ghz.
Original Poster
what's this virgin WiFi dongle and how do I get one?
Banned
TheGimp

what's this virgin WiFi dongle and how do I get one?

I think it's made by netgear, it's just a standard n300 wifi adapter that virgin supply.

You would be better off (for future proofing / multiple devices) getting an N600 / N900 or even an ac dongle. Just type wifi adapter into amazon and take your pick based on reviews.
Musician

I think it's made by netgear, it's just a standard n300 wifi adapter that … I think it's made by netgear, it's just a standard n300 wifi adapter that virgin supply. You would be better off (for future proofing / multiple devices) getting an N600 / N900 or even an ac dongle. Just type wifi adapter into amazon and take your pick based on reviews.

Yeah you're right. Downloading from Origin as we speak at about 18MBps. Quicker than Virgins own newsgroups.
Original Poster
Spoke to virgin today who said they used to give out dongles but now they don't so I was put through to the 'Customer relations team' who said that I should just get a £3 dongle off of ebay and that they'll credit me the £3. A bit of haggling later they credited me £30 and said I have to order it on their virgin accessories website which is utter pants.

Anyway, that being said I've £30 towards a dongle so might go for this

amazon.co.uk/Lin…200
Depends on your router. If it's AC compatible go for it.
Banned
TheGimp

Spoke to virgin today who said they used to give out dongles but now they … Spoke to virgin today who said they used to give out dongles but now they don't so I was put through to the 'Customer relations team' who said that I should just get a £3 dongle off of ebay and that they'll credit me the £3. A bit of haggling later they credited me £30 and said I have to order it on their virgin accessories website which is utter pants. Anyway, that being said I've £30 towards a dongle so might go for thishttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-WUSB6300-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-Adapter/dp/B00FVP0G26/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410294049&sr=8-1&keywords=Linksys+WUSB6300+AC1200

If you're using the superhub get an N dongle, not sure if an AC one will work on it (unless they are backwards compatible I don't know). If you have another router that has AC go ahead.
Edited by: "Musician" 10th Sep 2014
Original Poster
since last year virgin have been testing wireless ac so it's coming but you're correct that wireless n will work fine. for the sake of a fiver though I think I'll go for some more future proof.

thanks for all the comments BTW.
TheGimp

since last year virgin have been testing wireless ac so it's coming but … since last year virgin have been testing wireless ac so it's coming but you're correct that wireless n will work fine. for the sake of a fiver though I think I'll go for some more future proof.thanks for all the comments BTW.

You'd need a new super hub. Probably v3.
TheGimp

since last year virgin have been testing wireless ac so it's coming but … since last year virgin have been testing wireless ac so it's coming but you're correct that wireless n will work fine. for the sake of a fiver though I think I'll go for some more future proof.thanks for all the comments BTW.

http://i.imgur.com/roH04I1.jpg

It's actually out to a select few triallers (me included). It has decent AC performance but the Superhubs in general are quite limited for an advanced user which is why I will be holding out for the new ASUS AC router
By the way, just ran some tests with my 2.4GHz connection. Maxing out my 152MB broadband, hit 19.2MBps on usenet.
300Mbps/N.
So AC is not required at all to max Virgin.
Edited by: "rev6" 11th Sep 2014
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants