Virgin hub 3 problems and solution

Posted 26th Jul 2020
Been having ongoing issues with my virgin hub 3.

Ive read there are common problems with this hub.

My issues are

Poor WiFi coverage and drop outs on connection. When I say drop outs I mean it loses connection on my devices, the hub disappears from my WiFi list on my devices, the hub white light is on showing its working but I can't connect. Switching it off and on fixes it untill it happens again

I have 2 question

1.A mesh system will fix my WiFi coverage, but will it stop the hub disconnecting?

2.If i buy a new router and turn my virgin hub 3 into modem only will I still experience the connection issues?

Hope I've explained it well.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. have wired it to my PlayStation and still have loss of connection.
Community Updates
Ask
23 Comments
Contact VM. They'll some sort of diagnostic over the phone maybe tweak it or decide you need a new one...
I will look into my crystal ball and see if your sh3 is broken...

if your sh3 is working fine and it’s the WiFi only what’s an issue then putting in modem mode and a mesh system will sort the issues..

does connection drop drop when you use the internet wired? If it does then it’s a problem with sh3, check the wires are tight at the back and at the wall. Contact vm..
Long term - leave Virgin.
Gollywood26/07/2020 07:37

Contact VM. They'll some sort of diagnostic over the phone maybe tweak it …Contact VM. They'll some sort of diagnostic over the phone maybe tweak it or decide you need a new one...

Virgin have done this few times. With no luck
Bargainhead26/07/2020 07:44

I will look into my crystal ball and see if your sh3 is broken... if your …I will look into my crystal ball and see if your sh3 is broken... if your sh3 is working fine and it’s the WiFi only what’s an issue then putting in modem mode and a mesh system will sort the issues..does connection drop drop when you use the internet wired? If it does then it’s a problem with sh3, check the wires are tight at the back and at the wall. Contact vm..

Connection drops even when wired hence asking if I put into in modem mode and use another WiFi router will it still drop.
I had my mesh set up and vm wifi left on but still had problems. I spent 20mins or so turning it into modem online and I can say it’s better but not perfect.

Find I had similar issues with other providers so might be worth trying but also keep on at vm as well.
I've just installed BT Whole Home mesh disks and they have (so far) been brilliant. I now get great connection all through my 3 bed semi (and garden!).
I've left my SH3 as it is (i.e. wi-fi still active) and have had absolutely zero issues. I got my disks through Amazon as I thought it would be easier to return them if they did not sort my wi-fi blackspot problems.
If you are having wifi problems keep hammering Virgin customer services. They are giving out hub 4's on a limited basis to people with ongoing wifi issues. The hub 4, while its been reported to have minor issues of its own, will allow for a lot more simultaneous connections, which is the problem with the 3 and the reason it drops, it cant handle a load.
Edited by: "LiverpoolsNo9" 26th Jul
justanothercid26/07/2020 10:17

I had my mesh set up and vm wifi left on but still had problems. I spent …I had my mesh set up and vm wifi left on but still had problems. I spent 20mins or so turning it into modem online and I can say it’s better but not perfect. Find I had similar issues with other providers so might be worth trying but also keep on at vm as well.

Thanks for the info.
sane4sure26/07/2020 10:27

I've just installed BT Whole Home mesh disks and they have (so far) been …I've just installed BT Whole Home mesh disks and they have (so far) been brilliant. I now get great connection all through my 3 bed semi (and garden!). I've left my SH3 as it is (i.e. wi-fi still active) and have had absolutely zero issues. I got my disks through Amazon as I thought it would be easier to return them if they did not sort my wi-fi blackspot problems.

I was thinking of using amazon for its easier returns
LiverpoolsNo926/07/2020 10:40

If you are having wifi problems keep hammering Virgin customer services. …If you are having wifi problems keep hammering Virgin customer services. They are giving out hub 4's on a limited basis to people with ongoing wifi issues. The hub 4, while its been reported to have minor issues of its own, will allow for a lot more simultaneous connections, which is the problem with the 3 and the reason it drops, it cant handle a load.

I will call them again and try. Didn't know hub 4 was out.
was12326/07/2020 10:44

I was thinking of using amazon for its easier returns

I bought the triple pack at about £132 via Amazon Warehouse - 'as new' as opposed to the new price of £179.
was12326/07/2020 09:32

Connection drops even when wired hence asking if I put into in modem mode …Connection drops even when wired hence asking if I put into in modem mode and use another WiFi router will it still drop.

You didn’t say you had wired, hence why I asked (Were not mind readers). Dropping connection isn’t going to get fixed by mesh. You need to speak to virgin. Mesh is good and sorts out poor WiFi range only.

you could leave virgin as mentioned above but you majority don’t offer the speed of virgin but a slower stable speed is better than no internet..
Bargainhead26/07/2020 10:47

You didn’t say you had wired, hence why I asked (Were not mind readers). D …You didn’t say you had wired, hence why I asked (Were not mind readers). Dropping connection isn’t going to get fixed by mesh. You need to speak to virgin. Mesh is good and sorts out poor WiFi range only.you could leave virgin as mentioned above but you majority don’t offer the speed of virgin but a slower stable speed is better than no internet..

Apologies, I thought I had written it, must have deleted it when I was fixing my poor spellings.

Would turning it into modem only and using another router fix it?
was12326/07/2020 10:45

I will call them again and try. Didn't know hub 4 was out.

Its not really officially. Its just for those with gigabit or business connections at the moment. But like I said they are providing to those with wifi issues, and then soon a full rollout from what I understand.
Get Wi-Fi Analyzer app and see what's going on. Is it poor signal strength? Are you in a WiFi crowded area? Find out what the problem is as many think more power is what's required. I can walk half way to the my local sports centre and pick up my virgin WiFi as pushing out so much power. If everyone is doing that it's no wonder some get problems. Fortunately there are only 4 routers beaming WiFi near me so I don't get signal trouble or drop outs. Mesh system may sort out your problem
Edited by: "wayners" 26th Jul
Interrogate the hub's stats/logs to definitively ascertain if the fibre connection is physically dropping.
AndyRoyd26/07/2020 13:29

Interrogate the hub's stats/logs to definitively ascertain if the fibre …Interrogate the hub's stats/logs to definitively ascertain if the fibre connection is physically dropping.

Il have a look into this
was12326/07/2020 09:32

Connection drops even when wired hence asking if I put into in modem mode …Connection drops even when wired hence asking if I put into in modem mode and use another WiFi router will it still drop.

I have had the same issue over the last 6 months have contacted several times Vm they’ve sent an engineer out three times still no resolution
Got a new replacement hub 3 on the way. I asked for a hub 4 but they said it wasn't compatible and they want to see if the replacement helps.
I’ve got a replacement hub also I’m thinking it may be due to too many connections we have around 17 devices connected at one time also the connections are split between 2.4 and 5G
Post a comment
@
    Text