Virgin hub 3.0 router - which?

Posted 14th Feb
Looking to improve wifi to 3 bedroom house. Router with hub 3.0 in modem mode appears to be best option.

Any advice on a budget router much appreciated. Mainly use WiFi for browsing, videos, etc....
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
How much are you willing to spend? I’ve done my place and the in-laws place with the BT whole home and I can’t fault it.
anthonyjames9014/02/2020 18:58

How much are you willing to spend? I’ve done my place and the in-laws p …How much are you willing to spend? I’ve done my place and the in-laws place with the BT whole home and I can’t fault it.

£40-£50
I’m not sure you’ll get much better than the hub 3 for that. Have you tried changing channels and positioning it better? A simple netgear extender would help, but the experience isn’t great.
Others may disagree and have experience with some though!
anthonyjames9014/02/2020 19:37

I’m not sure you’ll get much better than the hub 3 for that. Have you tri …I’m not sure you’ll get much better than the hub 3 for that. Have you tried changing channels and positioning it better? A simple netgear extender would help, but the experience isn’t great. Others may disagree and have experience with some though!

I have netgear powerline boosters from virgin. Still struggle with ring 2 doorbell which is 8 feet away from hub 3.0. Hit and miss really. Sometimes it rings, sometimes it doesn't. Thought a dual band router would be an improvement.
How about something along the lines of a Mesh WiFi system. You basically turn the WiFi of your router off and plug one of the mesh access points directly into it. The remaining mesh access points are placed all around the house to provide seamless WiFi and only require a power socket to function.

e.g.Tenda MW3 Mesh WiFi Four Pack - £72.99 delivered @ Box.co.uk (only suitable for Internet connections of < 100Mbit)

link to a product review

I have setup the more expensive BT Whole Home Mesh WiFi system at a few customers and they have all been very happy with the results.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 14th Feb
SUMMONER14/02/2020 20:17

How about something along the lines of a Mesh WiFi system. You basically …How about something along the lines of a Mesh WiFi system. You basically turn the WiFi of your router off and plug one of the mesh access points directly into it. The remaining mesh access points are placed all around the house to provide seamless WiFi and only require a power socket to function.e.g. Tenda MW3 Mesh WiFi Four Pack - £72.99 delivered @ Box.co.uk (only suitable for Internet connections of < 100Mbit)link to a product reviewI have setup the more expensive BT Whole Home Mesh WiFi system at a few customers and they have all been very happy with the results.

That was my suggestion exactly. Worth the extra.
greenyblades14/02/2020 20:03

I have netgear powerline boosters from virgin. Still struggle with ring 2 …I have netgear powerline boosters from virgin. Still struggle with ring 2 doorbell which is 8 feet away from hub 3.0. Hit and miss really. Sometimes it rings, sometimes it doesn't. Thought a dual band router would be an improvement.

If it’s struggling at 8 feet it suggests interference. The Ring 2 is only 2.4GHz according to here so the dual band wouldn’t help that at all. I definitely think you’d be better off spending around £80-100 on a mesh system and recoup the money by convincing Virgin to give you a discount for 12-18 months for due to poor WiFi. Most people have success when haggling with Virgin, you just have to commit to another 12-18 months contract.
I have 200mb broadband. Virgin just told me wifi is dropping as I have more than 9 devices connected. Never heard that one. They told me I would need to increase to 350mb for additional device connectivity. They said hub 3.0 is fine. Anyone trust that advice?
Edited by: "greenyblades" 15th Feb
greenyblades15/02/2020 12:13

I have 200mb broadband. Virgin just told me wifi is dropping as I have …I have 200mb broadband. Virgin just told me wifi is dropping as I have more than 9 devices connected. Never heard that one. They told me I would need to increase to 350mb for additional device connectivity. They said hub 3.0 is fine. Anyone trust that advice?

The hub 3.0 is OK, but not as good as a mesh system.
Don’t believe anything about the wireless connectivity being based on your package.
anthonyjames9016/02/2020 20:18

The hub 3.0 is OK, but not as good as a mesh system.Don’t believe anything …The hub 3.0 is OK, but not as good as a mesh system.Don’t believe anything about the wireless connectivity being based on your package.

39922443-gl6DO.jpgTrue. Says 10+ devices!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants