Found 29th Sep 2016
Hi I wonder if anyone can help I have received a email off virgin media saying there is a price hike of £3.30 I have a 18 month contract with them I phoned to see if I could cancel they told me no because of a discount on my account but the discount is only for 12 months it goes up to full price for the last 6 months should I still be allowed to cancel (thanks in advance)

17 Comments

Banned

Simple answer, yes, tells you at bottom of the email, it's the law, set by OFCOM 2 years ago.

I received a letter saying that. price is going up

Check on email small foot notes, if they mentioned about that you can cancel the contract based on price hike then you can. Just give them the reference of it.

I remember helping a friend cancelling his about a year ago with virgin media, it was fine, he is with sky now. Just call the cancellation team and say you wanted to cancel. Its their fault of putting the price up!

Original Poster

It says in the small print in the email that if you have a discount on your account the price hike won't effect me

knightinho

It says in the small print in the email that if you have a discount on … It says in the small print in the email that if you have a discount on your account the price hike won't effect me

​Its true. Last year price hike didn't effect me becuase i was on discounted price. But better to speak with their account dept. to make it sure.

Original Poster

aaqeel

​Its true. Last year price hike didn't effect me becuase i was on d … ​Its true. Last year price hike didn't effect me becuase i was on discounted price. But better to speak with their account dept. to make it sure.

​Hi ye that's what they told me but my discount is for only 12 months the last 6 months goes back to full price

knightinho

It says in the small print in the email that if you have a discount on … It says in the small print in the email that if you have a discount on your account the price hike won't effect me

I got the same letter and also have a fixed 18 month loyalty discount. This recent letter does give garbled information. I think they aim to confuse you so that you're not sure if the increase applies. I will be phoning to negotiate a further discount if possible.

Original Poster

Dogeared

I got the same letter and also have a fixed 18 month loyalty discount. … I got the same letter and also have a fixed 18 month loyalty discount. This recent letter does give garbled information. I think they aim to confuse you so that you're not sure if the increase applies. I will be phoning to negotiate a further discount if possible.

​I tried it mate they told me they would honour my 12 month discount I just don't know what happens for the last 6 months when I haven't got a discount

Original Poster

Mdkfkfmdmgmf

Simple answer, yes, tells you at bottom of the email, it's the law, set … Simple answer, yes, tells you at bottom of the email, it's the law, set by OFCOM 2 years ago.

​In the small print in the email it says if you have a discount on your account that they would honour it but I have a 18 month contract 12 months is discounted the last 6 goes to full price

So for people already with a discount, these price hikes wont be added to our bills ?

Original Poster

Daytrader

So for people already with a discount, these price hikes wont be added to … So for people already with a discount, these price hikes wont be added to our bills ?

​That's what I got told

If the price hike of £3.30 increases your current bill (monthly payments) then you have the right to cancel without penalty.

It is irrelevant whether price goes up after first 12 months, you are within your rights to cancel.

Stand your ground and insist on it. And if they do not agree tell them that you want to make a complaint! Good luck.

Original Poster

AstalaVista

If the price hike of £3.30 increases your current bill (monthly payments) … If the price hike of £3.30 increases your current bill (monthly payments) then you have the right to cancel without penalty.It is irrelevant whether price goes up after first 12 months, you are within your rights to cancel.Stand your ground and insist on it. And if they do not agree tell them that you want to make a complaint! Good luck.

​Thank you and I will

I currently get phone and 100mb broadband for £32.99.

My price rise came through at an extra £3.49.

Phoned to cancel yesterday and the operative said I already had £9 discount which is the most she can offer. She instead offered me a £50 account credit to see me though the next 5 months of my contract.

Happy with that compromise as the BT fibre only offer 11 to 16 mb in my area.

Original Poster

Bobbajob

I currently get phone and 100mb broadband for £32.99.My price rise came … I currently get phone and 100mb broadband for £32.99.My price rise came through at an extra £3.49.Phoned to cancel yesterday and the operative said I already had £9 discount which is the most she can offer. She instead offered me a £50 account credit to see me though the next 5 months of my contract. Happy with that compromise as the BT fibre only offer 11 to 16 mb in my area.

​Glad you got a good deal

you have the right to cancel your contract within 21-28 days of any price increase. You SHOULD NOT be subjected to any Early Disconection Fee. If you are told otherwise, ensure that a complaint is logged whilst your on the phone. If the advisor is unable to resolve your query then ask for a Team Manager (they should take the call there and then) If that fails your complaint is deadlocked and...your complaint is passed to a COMMS. If THAT fails ....you should liase with CICAS and the Financial Ombudsman to help.
Hope this helps
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428414664
    2. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet3476
    3. #KoemanIn, Thank You Koeman for trying to get Everton relegated!1219
    4. can i swap out ssd frequently? day to day stuff11

See more discussions