virgin media 50mb vs 100mb

Found 17th Sep 2011
When I upgraded my 50MB broadband to 100MB I didnt see much difference apart from higher upload speed. Has anyone noticed that as well?
Community Updates
113 Comments
go here and test it
lol - I expect you wont notice any difference unless you are downloading from a newsgroup

inb4 op saying torrent speed hasnt changed much................

Edited by: "csiman" 17th Sep 2011
how fast is enough?
upload speed my 100mb I have now is about 9.9mbs using the speed test

Download speed seems to be about 95mbs on the speed test.

I wish I tested the 50MB before I changed it a few months ago.

On torrent on 50mb I have got 6.8mbs per second and about 290k/b upload speed

On 100mb I have only seem to reach about 6.9mbs and about 399kb upload speed.

Thats with the open ports and using utorrent.

I feel you pay an extra £20 for a tiny bit of upload speed but anyone who has 50mb please test it for me to confirm your 50mb speed.

Edited by: "babyface_snoop" 17th Sep 2011
you wont see any difference unless using newsgroups, at 50mb its pretty much as fast as any sites servers can send the info to you, 100mb connection is the same as a home wired connection lol, and the internet wont give you that...

if torrents / newsgroups dont offer a speed increase, increase the number of connections allowed..
Edited by: "DudeyGeeza" 17th Sep 2011
DudeyGeeza

you wont see any difference unless using newsgroups, at 50mb its pretty … you wont see any difference unless using newsgroups, at 50mb its pretty much as fast as any sites servers can send the info to you, 100mb connection is the same as a home wired connection lol, and the internet wont give you that...if torrents / newsgroups dont offer a speed increase, increase the number of connections allowed..

But most seedboxes uses 100mb servers so I've read on there updates when they move servers.
babyface_snoop

upload speed my 100mb I have now is about 9.9mbs using the speed … upload speed my 100mb I have now is about 9.9mbs using the speed testDownload speed seems to be about 95mbs on the speed test.I wish I tested the 50MB before I changed it a few months ago.On torrent on 50mb I have got 6.8mbs per second and about 290k/b upload speedOn 100mb I have only seem to reach about 6.9mbs and about 399kb upload speed.Thats with the open ports and using utorrent.I feel you pay an extra £20 for a tiny bit of upload speed but anyone who has 50mb please test it for me to confirm your 50mb speed.

you really expecting any difference on torrents?

deary me!

babyface_snoop

But most seedboxes uses 100mb servers so I've read on there updates when … But most seedboxes uses 100mb servers so I've read on there updates when they move servers.

Thats to share amongst everyone, not just you

you do also realise that torrents are very unsafe for downloading copyrighted material, especially if VM is your ISP as they are super hot on monitoring it now! Google DIGITAL ECONOMY BILL that was passed into law recently.

Only a fool uses torrents these days for downloading (unless its legal stuff of course).
Edited by: "csiman" 17th Sep 2011
csiman

Thats to share amongst everyone, not just you :)you do also realise that … Thats to share amongst everyone, not just you :)you do also realise that torrents are very unsafe for downloading copyrighted material, especially if VM is your ISP as they are super hot on monitoring it now! Google DIGITAL COPYRIGHT BILL that was passed into law recently.

Ive got that covered. I use decent protective sites and not public sites which can be a death trap lol. All the connections are encrypted. Depends. You can get private seedboxes as well
yes, do have to say that torrents = FAIL on VM.

So you have SSL on torrents? its not just the site you get the torrent file, VM monitor all trafic and unless SSL, then they can see whatever it is.

they will send you letters, just ignore them till they prosicute
csiman

you really expecting any difference on torrents?deary me!

If you say so. I have actually bench tested BT, virgin media, talk talk etc... Speed does increase on torrents and specially upload speed does increase! BT is ****, so is talk talk....
DudeyGeeza

yes, do have to say that torrents = FAIL on VM.they will send you … yes, do have to say that torrents = FAIL on VM.they will send you letters, just ignore them till they prosicute

Seems as you been in that boat lol. You got a letter then? maybe you download from public servers which can be a death trap!!
save the upgrade money and put in into a newsgroup account, false economy
pinkleponkle

save the upgrade money and put in into a newsgroup account, false economy

haha.
I just want to know what peeps think of 50mb compared to 100mb, there experince. x
i only ever used private torrents, but yes, i changed to ssl newsgroups and will never go back, instant max speed on my connection. :P
DudeyGeeza

i only ever used private torrents, but yes, i changed to ssl newsgroups … i only ever used private torrents, but yes, i changed to ssl newsgroups and will never go back, instant max speed on my connection. :P

You pay though? :P
babyface_snoop

You pay though? :P

alot less than the £20 a month you just forked out
id rather pay the $7 a month lol for the peace of mind dude, and the speed is always the fastest my connection can handle.. YOU PAY FOR 100mb and only get about 60 lol
DudeyGeeza

id rather pay the $7 a month lol for the peace of mind dude, and the … id rather pay the $7 a month lol for the peace of mind dude, and the speed is always the fastest my connection can handle.. YOU PAY FOR 100mb and only get about 60 lol

My download speed is about nearly 7mbs well 6.9mbs so far. Not used it on high seed yet but I dunno if it will increase. Whats yours??? my upload speed on torrent is just under half a mb.

So your saying newgroup is about the same speed as IE download?
400k upload and 3.81 mb dl. I'm on 30mb vm
Dude a 50 mb vm connection got me 6~mb dl, simply didn't need it so went down to 30
But there is no uploading on newsgroups, only leeching, I get the 400~k upload when putting games on the scene
DudeyGeeza

400k upload and 3.81 mb dl. I'm on 30mb vm

Good upload speed for 30mb!! But crap download speed. I have also tested 20mb VM on private torrent and it runs at download speed 5.8mb and 199 upload speed ;D

The upload speed could of been better but didnt test for long.
L0l 20mb cant get u 5.8
20mb is a max of 2.3~4 mb/s
DudeyGeeza

L0l 20mb cant get u 5.8

yes it can and has done! I have a screenshot to prove it somewhere on my other HDD
DudeyGeeza

20mb is a max of 2.3~4 mb/s

Well it did say 5.8 mbs . Its not always that speed, I only tested it for a moment.
Torrents have compression ratios, it would never b 5.8 on a 20mb connection lol.

Bit like windows starting a file copy at 200mb speeds but it calms down to about 130, fact is it was never 200 lol
I put the upload speed to 1. cause I was LEECHER ONCE HAHA

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/907/75814007.jpg
DudeyGeeza

Torrents have compression ratios, it would never b 5.8 on a 20mb … Torrents have compression ratios, it would never b 5.8 on a 20mb connection lol. Bit like windows starting a file copy at 200mb speeds but it calms down to about 130, fact is it was never 200 lol

I get what you mean but seriously it did say 5.8mb/s on 20mb VM. I tested it out on my girlfriends VM. I compared it to my 50mb I had at the time!!
Do yourself a favour, sign up with a newsgroup, Astraweb has been the best for me so far
6mbs is 50mb, u sure they've activated ur 100 mb yet?

Or maybe u need to restart your router
DudeyGeeza

Do yourself a favour, sign up with a newsgroup, Astraweb has been the … Do yourself a favour, sign up with a newsgroup, Astraweb has been the best for me so far

Cool PM me the details. If I get newgroup you think it be worth keeping 100mb for the speed
On 100mb you should be getting 12mbs ish
DudeyGeeza

6mbs is 50mb, u sure they've activated ur 100 mb yet?Or maybe u need to … 6mbs is 50mb, u sure they've activated ur 100 mb yet?Or maybe u need to restart your router

I took that screenshot when I had 50mb

But it did go higher then that on 50mb. it went to about 6.8MB!!

I have tested 100mb but not much difference to 50mb so far! I Maybe test it again in a bit on a high seed private torrent.
Just get Astraweb, or at least try out a free trial on any provider, you get 7 days retention on vm servers which will be free and yes, they'll know what it is ur gettin... but at least you can test the actual speeds..
dcx_badass

These speeds are starting to hit the limits of a lot of sites, so won't … These speeds are starting to hit the limits of a lot of sites, so won't always see an increase.

For websites, yes, definitely, but downloading from newsgroups... The sky is the limit :-)
babyface_snoop

Ive got that covered. I use decent protective sites and not public sites … Ive got that covered. I use decent protective sites and not public sites which can be a death trap lol. All the connections are encrypted. Depends. You can get private seedboxes as well

Urban myth that you are protected by using sites / encryption like that.

I pay £6 per month for 10mbps on VM and films take 10 minutes to download as always get 10mbps with newsgroups. Proper SSL protection too.

you are just paying well over the top for very little gain, if any.

just go back to 20mbps and pay £7 a month for unlimited astra usenet.
You get full speedof ur connection (10mbs) which actually equates to 1.2mbs in real file terms
DudeyGeeza

yes, do have to say that torrents = FAIL on VM.So you have SSL on … yes, do have to say that torrents = FAIL on VM.So you have SSL on torrents? its not just the site you get the torrent file, VM monitor all trafic and unless SSL, then they can see whatever it is.they will send you letters, just ignore them till they prosicute

Hi, Where did you read about VM being able to monitor traffic? Can you send me a link please, I have looking for something like that to show someone who will not believe me -_-

Are they able to see what is being downloaded and where from? I just download (4.8gb) Windows 8 Developer Preview and don't want to receive not emails/letter from them saying they think I am downloading illegally.

lil_bil
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions