Virgin Media about to drop 10 Channels from their TV Packages

Found 20th Jul
From Sunday the 22nd July, virgin will be dropping 10 Channels due to a bitter battle with the BBC and streaming rights....

''Customers of Virgin Media will no longer be able to watch UKTV channels, including Dave and Gold, following a digital rights dispute.

The issue revolves around the BBC's claim to the streaming rights of its programming, which it does not want to make freely available through UKTV's Play on-demand service. Instead, it wants to sell them to paid subscription services like Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Failing to reach an agreement with UKTV – jointly owned by the BBC and and US broadcaster Discovery – means Virgin Media will slash its TV channel portfolio from Sunday, 22 July.''

The full list of UKTV channels affected will be Drama, Really, Yesterday, Home, Gold, W, Alibi, Dave, Eden and Good Food, as well as their +1 and HD channels.

It might be worth contacting Virgin Media regarding a discount if this doesn't get resolved by Sunday.

Source
Community Updates
69 Comments
Glad we still have access on freeview to Really and Dave
Edited by: "Figgy" 20th Jul
Anyone know the best number to ring to ask them as the callcentre is worse than useles.
Edited by: "MEXICO17" 20th Jul
Virgin being rather cheeky in my opinion.

Just cabled Virgin in my area and promised an awesome deal to beat sky....

was about £3 cheaper with less channels.

No deal and they are losing more channels??

shame - as I loved virgin when I had it years ago before I moved.
MissNix16 m ago

Full details of changes here: …Full details of changes here: http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/tv/tvupdate.html

Some of that list. Is them just changing channel numbers.

For example Sky sports mix is all ready on virgin they are just replacing W's channel number with it. Jokers.
Glad i have IPTV
joanddan741 m ago

Virgin being rather cheeky in my opinion. Just cabled Virgin in my area …Virgin being rather cheeky in my opinion. Just cabled Virgin in my area and promised an awesome deal to beat sky.... was about £3 cheaper with less channels.No deal and they are losing more channels??shame - as I loved virgin when I had it years ago before I moved.

That’s because you took the tv, tv is a rip off via Virgin or sky. Better of ditching tv and paying for nowtv (owned by sky) or Netflix.
MEXICO171 h, 4 m ago

Anyone know the best number to ring to ask them as the callcentre is worse …Anyone know the best number to ring to ask them as the callcentre is worse than useles.

150 from land line. we are jumping ship as we now have Netflix and amazon the only deal they can give me is reduce bill from £69 to £61 on full house oh and this was after them telling my bill was due to go up! plus they are meant to send me a text confirming this deal for 24 hours and I am still waiting!
bluebally13 m ago

150 from land line. we are jumping ship as we now have Netflix and amazon …150 from land line. we are jumping ship as we now have Netflix and amazon the only deal they can give me is reduce bill from £69 to £61 on full house oh and this was after them telling my bill was due to go up! plus they are meant to send me a text confirming this deal for 24 hours and I am still waiting!

Ta , we don’t have the landline
my grandma watches albi and gold, she likes her murder programs and dramas etc, i guessing this is effecting here, and she enjoys the tv and watches gold, albi, itv3 etc, will she get reduce bill or is there another way to watch these channels,low tech
MEXICO1732 m ago

Ta , we don’t have the landline

0345 454 1111, I find the best way is to ring them and don't pick an option, it'll ask you twice then normally send you through to someone.
You can get all those channels on TV player. tvplayer.com/
Im really anhry about this as we lose approx 23 channels but virgin is giving us 10 back I am disabled I never go out & i rely on my tv crime comedy etc which is drama alibi W gold. I phoned earlier after being on hold 4 10mins i put phone down n re-rang i was not a happy bunny but did get £40 slashed off my bill good i suppose but im still peeved we have been told less than 2 days before we lose channels
Angela_Thornton11 m ago

Im really anhry about this as we lose approx 23 channels but virgin is …Im really anhry about this as we lose approx 23 channels but virgin is giving us 10 back I am disabled I never go out & i rely on my tv crime comedy etc which is drama alibi W gold. I phoned earlier after being on hold 4 10mins i put phone down n re-rang i was not a happy bunny but did get £40 slashed off my bill good i suppose but im still peeved we have been told less than 2 days before we lose channels

Oh well, school has finished for summer tho
Got to love how we pay for the BBC but if you want to watch old episodes you have to pay fir Netflix or Amazon, if only there was a service the BBC owned that gave us all of the shows as part of the fee we already pay.
In getting rid of virgin TV tomorrow, I only get the basic package so for the last year I have been paying to watch freeview which they didn't mention when I signed up for it. Some of the channels they are losing are the ones I watch so it's a no brainer plus I get Netflix and Amazon, I won't ever go back to them for TV though.
Aren't most of these channels available on Freeview anyway

Unless you watch Sports Sky/Virgin is pretty pointless as has been mentioned already just get NowTV, Netflix or Amazon Video.
Can't beat Virgin for broadband though they're one of the best IMO.
smush7 h, 29 m ago

Aren't most of these channels available on Freeview anyway Unless you …Aren't most of these channels available on Freeview anyway Unless you watch Sports Sky/Virgin is pretty pointless as has been mentioned already just get NowTV, Netflix or Amazon Video. Can't beat Virgin for broadband though they're one of the best IMO.

Yeah this is pretty much spot on... even movies it's cheaper to just get now tv! I only get tv through virgin for bt sports ufc and champs league. I know I can get these easily on kodi but I'm at the age now where I'd honestly just like to pay the money and be legit about it all. Sucks we are losing these channels but I can't honestly say I've ever watched them. Wish virgin would get vice and sky Atlanta soon though...

Oh wow just read the link above we are getting vice ?! This is awesome, I'm actually happy about this, the uktv channels are just repeats and you get them on freeview, sounds like we are getting some good new channels instead so not losing out at all! And the last season of suits FINALLY!!!

uswitch.com/broadband/news/2018/07/virgin_tv_adds_paramount_network_and_vice_tv_to_its_platform/
Edited by: "chrisredmayne" 21st Jul
Meh free view for us, day have to pay for channels will never happen, I'll carry on using adverts to make tea till I die
Great! Just spent pointless 20 minutes going round in circles trying to explain I negotiated my bundle to include these channels now lost as I hate sports and American shows. I enjoy the British shows, especially Drama and Alibi. Now I have to continue paying an extortionate fee each month for nothing as all I'll be watching now is ITV! Roll on end of contract when I can tell Virgin where to go - rip off or what!
I'm planning to leave their rubbish group - the "new" channels they're offering seem dire. I don't really want to see "Murder, She Wrote" or "The Mick" (eh?) and "The Ice Cream Show" (eh?)

UKTV announcement:
corporate.uktv.co.uk/new…rs/

Virgin Media annoucement:
virginmedia.com/sho…tml
I wonder if this will allow me to leave in contract. Been with them three months, VIP package with upto 350mbps, WiFi won’t work on mobile phones and tablets anywhere in the property over 5m from the hub. Videos buffer constantly also.

Had an engineer out three times with no difference. He witnessed the issue. No offer of discount or compensation.
eslick16 h, 40 m ago

Got to love how we pay for the BBC but if you want to watch old episodes …Got to love how we pay for the BBC but if you want to watch old episodes you have to pay fir Netflix or Amazon, if only there was a service the BBC owned that gave us all of the shows as part of the fee we already pay.

I'm gonna cancel my TV licence so I can watch old BBC shows on Netflix that I've previously contributed to the creation of. Lol
MattNorfolk11 h, 23 m ago

I wonder if this will allow me to leave in contract. Been with them three …I wonder if this will allow me to leave in contract. Been with them three months, VIP package with upto 350mbps, WiFi won’t work on mobile phones and tablets anywhere in the property over 5m from the hub. Videos buffer constantly also.Had an engineer out three times with no difference. He witnessed the issue. No offer of discount or compensation.

Stick your Superhub (I assume its a 3) into Modem mode and buy yourself a decent router or mesh kit. Problem solved
freakstyler7 h, 59 m ago

Stick your Superhub (I assume its a 3) into Modem mode and buy yourself a …Stick your Superhub (I assume its a 3) into Modem mode and buy yourself a decent router or mesh kit. Problem solved

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn’t even know where to start with that. I will have to google it. Never had these issues with any other provider before.
MattNorfolk1 h, 40 m ago

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn’t even know where to start with that. I w …Thanks for the reply. I wouldn’t even know where to start with that. I will have to google it. Never had these issues with any other provider before.

The SH3 is widely regarded as not being fit for purpose in every respect but that said, some people have issues and some don’t, it’s very hit and miss. The less it does the better so offloading routing and WiFi tasks onto something more capable will solve a lot of your problems, especially the WiFi issues. If you google Superhub 3 issues there are literally dozens of threads on the Virgin Media community forum, some over 100 pages long, Virgin know theres a problem but they cant or wont fix it.
If you go straight to retention’s and threaten to remove tv they’ll offer you stuff to keep it, the change in channels voids your current contract. They just offered me a free view aerial to get some channels back, £6 a month off my bill then £50 credit in my account. Told them I’d think about it.

I asked them how much is internet on it’s own, they said for 200mb it’s £45.

100mb a month is £44 ...
theresa.chalcraft21st Jul

Great! Just spent pointless 20 minutes going round in circles trying to …Great! Just spent pointless 20 minutes going round in circles trying to explain I negotiated my bundle to include these channels now lost as I hate sports and American shows. I enjoy the British shows, especially Drama and Alibi. Now I have to continue paying an extortionate fee each month for nothing as all I'll be watching now is ITV! Roll on end of contract when I can tell Virgin where to go - rip off or what!

Surely legally the package you get is substantially changed and thus you can leave.

id push it.

That being said I’d put money on the channels returning in the next month
theresa.chalcraft21st Jul

Great! Just spent pointless 20 minutes going round in circles trying to …Great! Just spent pointless 20 minutes going round in circles trying to explain I negotiated my bundle to include these channels now lost as I hate sports and American shows. I enjoy the British shows, especially Drama and Alibi. Now I have to continue paying an extortionate fee each month for nothing as all I'll be watching now is ITV! Roll on end of contract when I can tell Virgin where to go - rip off or what!

I got through to them after 30mins on hold and I had a foreign woman who was telling me because I am tied to a 12 month contract I cannot reduce or change my package. I interrupted her and said ‘that was not the package I agreed to and the changes invalidate my current contract’ ... she put me through to Retention’s and it was a very pleasant English guy who confirmed what I had told that clueless woman. They offered me a reduced bill, £50 credit and a free view aerial to get some of the channels back. Left it at that and said il have to think about it and they left a note on my account for when I ring back.

Tempted to reduce it down to just internet and get Sky Q for £30pm with movies.
aseddon13020 h, 22 m ago

I got through to them after 30mins on hold and I had a foreign woman who …I got through to them after 30mins on hold and I had a foreign woman who was telling me because I am tied to a 12 month contract I cannot reduce or change my package. I interrupted her and said ‘that was not the package I agreed to and the changes invalidate my current contract’ ... she put me through to Retention’s and it was a very pleasant English guy who confirmed what I had told that clueless woman. They offered me a reduced bill, £50 credit and a free view aerial to get some of the channels back. Left it at that and said il have to think about it and they left a note on my account for when I ring back.Tempted to reduce it down to just internet and get Sky Q for £30pm with movies.

Nothing good here. Basically told me to cancel my contract.
Haven't turned my Virgin Media on for anything other than the World Cup, so couldn't care less, but I do care about a reduced monthly payment

My mate called at the weekend and said they could drop off his phone line cost... Is that even possible?
darkstryder36056 s ago

Haven't turned my Virgin Media on for anything other than the World Cup, …Haven't turned my Virgin Media on for anything other than the World Cup, so couldn't care less, but I do care about a reduced monthly payment XDMy mate called at the weekend and said they could drop off his phone line cost... Is that even possible?

It's possilble.
Will call them up see what I can get from them in reduced payments. Hopefully they will come to an agreement with BBC
Plenty are cancelling in contract penalty free over on the forums over this
I am so angry and annoyed with virgin media. You have removed three of my favourite programmes that I really enjoyed, Gold Drama and Alibi, yes I can watch drama on freeview on a tv upstairs but not the others that have series that I was in the middle of watching. I am seriously thinking of changing network..
Regards
A very disgruntled customer
Mesuot5 h, 4 m ago

What TV package are you on?

Full house bundle. 200mb broadband. £66 a month.
So what deals are people being offered? Or are you cancelling?
J_B49 m ago

So what deals are people being offered? Or are you cancelling?

people are being offered freeview ariels and slight discounts apparently
I was offered 20 pounds cashback by a rude guy on the phone. Later they called me back and offered a Full House bundle until the end of contract. I said no.
MattNorfolk21st Jul

I wonder if this will allow me to leave in contract. Been with them three …I wonder if this will allow me to leave in contract. Been with them three months, VIP package with upto 350mbps, WiFi won’t work on mobile phones and tablets anywhere in the property over 5m from the hub. Videos buffer constantly also.Had an engineer out three times with no difference. He witnessed the issue. No offer of discount or compensation.

Their hub is rubbish plus purchased my own router to resolve WiFi issues and limited speed with the hub,
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants