Virgin media - adding broadband to existing package.... how can i wangle free installation?

Found 12th Dec 2013
i rang to change my virgin media package to add broadband... i currently have unlimited phone, M+ TV and pay £30.99

I rang up yesterday and they told me to add 30mg broadband its an extra £1 a month BUT means i have to downgrade my TV to M and also pay £25 installation....... i said i would call back....

Do you think i could a) push for free installation or b) get them to keep my M+ package...

the girl said she couldnt when i asked yesterday..... was just thinking i could try again today!! any hints or tips on how i could sweet talk them to doing this??? thanks
Community Updates
15 Comments
Virgin I find are hard to negotiate with but why not give it a try.
Would changing your package result in you being tied in to a 12 month contract?
i went through 'retentions'.... i no anytime u make a change they extend their contract with the customer by 18 months... so just thought they could do more to keep their customers!...got a letter a few weeks ago saying my services are going up £3 a month in feb already...
so are you in contract at the mo?
i think so yep
Just told them you want this deal but the installation price is too high and you got better deal from Sky and you thinking to leaving virgin.
I do this to save 50 pounds when i want to upgrade my broadband.
Lady from Virgin says technician need to come to my house and changing some setup on modem.
If you have twitter, tweet them, I have found any prob I have with them solved within a few hours of sending a tweet. Much better than the so called helpline
sofia_the_last

If you have twitter, tweet them, I have found any prob I have with them … If you have twitter, tweet them, I have found any prob I have with them solved within a few hours of sending a tweet. Much better than the so called helpline

i was going through retentions tho? will twitter not be 'customer services'?
nsuprinz

Just told them you want this deal but the installation price is too high … Just told them you want this deal but the installation price is too high and you got better deal from Sky and you thinking to leaving virgin.I do this to save 50 pounds when i want to upgrade my broadband.Lady from Virgin says technician need to come to my house and changing some setup on modem.

good point, i could mention ive been offered free installation then with Sky ?... hate the thought of losing more tv channels tho :s i already downgraded last month from L to M+ due to keeping costs down :s
BettyBoo1012

i was going through retentions tho? will twitter not be 'customer … i was going through retentions tho? will twitter not be 'customer services'?

I have found that with twitter they deal with anything and if they can't help they get you someone who can. I got vm broadband installed last month and got the installation charge taken off by the twitter team ( I truly didn't realise the charged £50 for a man to plug a box in!)

It's worth a try!
Definitely worth a shot at tweeting, asking why a valued customer has to pay an installation fee when essentially upgrading ya ya de yah etc, I would also ring and hint that 'I may take on a bigger package in the future if I am satisfied with the broadband but I feel paying an installation fee whilst already a customer isn't fair' . After all they will want you stuck in a longer contract so should go for it.
I usually get virgin to waiver fees by some minor threats and cajoling/ arguing/ manipulation tactics, like they do to us.
I wish I wasn't with them due to increases of late actually but we have a full house here with everyone using the wireless on laptops, phones, consoles and android boxes so I found their speeds the best for us.
should now add..... after thinking about what channels i would have to give up downgrading from M+ to M i cant downgrade!! people in our house watch those channels so cant remove them..... thats going to mean a more expensive package eek.....
I had exactly the same problem 2 weeks ago apart from they tried to charge me £50 installation fee, I ended up telling them id spoke to someone earlier in the day to check the price who had offered me free installation (I hadnt), so why was she now saying I couldnt have it. She put me on hold for 2 seconds and came back on the phone and said she could do it free as id already been offered it... worth a try for you too
I got free installation from Virgin Media when I was a new customer, they told me the installation price, and i told them if I go to sky they would do it for free, so they changed their minds and gave me it for free :). Rebel aren't I? :P
Hi guys
I rang them a 7.45pm.... I'm pretty sure their call centre closes at 8pm so at 7.55pm after the lady telling me she wouldn't budge on the package I was offered.... She said she would charge £5.99 for installation and reduce our package to £27 a month..... (From 31.99).... Result! Pleased thanks for all the input guys!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants