Virgin Media are cutting off sky one, two, three, sky news, sky sports news!

28 replies
Found 25th Feb 2007
According to Virgin Media, Sky have increased the price too much for their channels and this is going to mean they no longer want the channels sky one, two, three, sky news and sky sports news (all the free channels) if it's beyond there demands.

Sky have been advertising this stating that getting better programmes on their channels has increased costs by 68% but Virgin Media are not willing to negotiate a fair amount and if you feel this is unfair, either call Virgin Media and complain or call sky to switch services.

What do you think?

Here is a link from Virgin Media as a letter from them about the situation:

allyours.virginmedia.com/fai…tml

29 Comments

Sky have doubled the cost, it's a massively obvious move by Sky to trump any real combined competition that is Virgin Media before they're even an annoying market threat.

The Sky1 ad campaign to get NTL customers to call NTL to tell them to keep Sky was hilarious, Sky should be ashamed of themselves.

While these set of channels do not fall under the same licensing as movies or sports, I would hope Ofcom will get involved next week.

Original Poster

That's how i became aware of the subject, as i was watching The Simpsons with my gf's son and i saw them trying to get people to complain to Virgin Media directly, trying to force them to meet the demands, which i also believe it to be quite shameful and trying to drag people into there own war.

According to Sky's ad campaign, there costs have increased by 68%, so i assume they're asking for 68% more money but at the end of the day, i feel if the service is cut off, then Virgin Media will require to compensate us adequately by reducing there prices quite significantly (we watch sky one, news and sports news quite often and sometimes the premium channels) and will have to add some extra channels with good programming.

Thanks for the post and please don't forget to vote

I should qualify my vote with the fact that I dont have sky or ntl tv.

I'm still using the 5 'free' channels and have just invested in a LCD TV with built in Freeview in case I cant find anything to watch on the free channels.

I do however use NTL broadband and have had no complaints since being with them - apart from being too expensive:x So thanks to the poster on one thread that suggested ringing them and voila - broadband now £12.50 and not £25:w00t:

Freeview is enough for me anyway.

E4, Film4 a few extra BBC and ITV channels and even Five US, which has the occasional good film on.

We have just signed to Virgin a few days before this happened and having it installed tomorrow... will NOT give my money to Sky.... was a very underhanded approach from sky imo

]http//ob…tml

Sunday February 25, 2007
The Observer
Virgin Media will fire another salvo in its bitter battle with rival pay-TV group BSkyB tomorrow when it unveils a deal to screen episodes of Lost, the hit US show, on its video-on-demand channel, Virgin central. Virgin has secured a deal with Lost producer ABC to buy all three series of the show, which is currently airing exclusively on Sky One. Under the terms of Virgin's agreement with ABC, it will make all three series of Lost available to viewers, who can already download a selection of drama, comedy and entertainment shows for a one-off fee. But they will have to wait until August to see the current series. Fans who want to watch it now will have to subscribe to Sky.

It's a shame this can't apply to 24 since that is Fox, Lost was ABC and News Corp = Fox/BSkyB etc. Though I'd be very surprised if Fox ignore BSkyB and sells it to VM, just not very likely I don't think.

Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis & Battlestar Galactica is all made by Sci-Fi which News Corp owns a significant percentage of I think so again that's unlikely to be sold to VM

All the Star Treks / Paramount and have a long long term relationship with Sky so I can't see that happening either...

[COLOR=royalblue]I see that $KY are advertising 3 for £30, no they're not[SIZE=4],[SIZE=2]it's[/SIZE] 3 for £26 [/SIZE][SIZE=2]a masive saving of oooooooo aaaaaa :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: all of £48 a year, nah i'll stay with VM, thanks Mr Murdock :x [/SIZE][/COLOR]

Sky have timed this very well though TV Series wise.

SG1/SGA both due to finish their seasons very soon on Sky1

24 and Lost both several episodes into their new series with people just hooked.

It'll be interesting to see what happens this week with the channels due to be shut off this Wednesday @ 11:59:59 I imagine.

Some people are already losing their Sky1 on occasion, and the degraded quality of it I can vouch for after stuff last night was too messed up which has never happened before.

Sky is being quite disgusting with regard to this.

Crazy1

[COLOR=royalblue]I see that $KY are advertising 3 for £30, no they're … [COLOR=royalblue]I see that $KY are advertising 3 for £30, no they're not[SIZE=4],[SIZE=2]it's[/SIZE] 3 for £26 [/SIZE][SIZE=2]a masive saving of oooooooo aaaaaa :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: all of £48 a year, nah i'll stay with VM, thanks Mr Murdock :x [/SIZE][/COLOR]

if you can get it!... before all this happened we looked into this deal but we can't get the 3 for £26 deal here.... we would have to pay £37 plus £11 to BT for our land line ... even on the £26 deal its really £37 after paying your line rental!... no thanks!!

cwernham

if you can get it!... before all this happened we looked into this deal … if you can get it!... before all this happened we looked into this deal but we can't get the 3 for £26 deal here.... we would have to pay £37 plus £11 to BT for our land line ... even on the £26 deal its really £37 after paying your line rental!... no thanks!!

Indeed to qualify for the free broadband offer you need to be available on their LLU circuit meaning Sky (formerlly Easynet) needs to be present in your exchange (]samknows.com for more info)

Which unfortunately from a business point of view makes sense, but at the same time Orange are giving free broadband be it over LLU or BTW (BT Wholesale) so Sky are being quite tight over it.

It still looks like a £26 to me, just they neglect to mention the £11 to BT making it £36 total and the fact it'll be over £40 if you do not have Sky LLU at your exchange.

This is exactly the sort of problem Branson had when moving into the airline business. They tried to bully him out by turning down his applications for flight routes. He's one of my hero's actually

MBeeching

This is exactly the sort of problem Branson had when moving into the … This is exactly the sort of problem Branson had when moving into the airline business. They tried to bully him out by turning down his applications for flight routes. He's one of my hero's actually

Read the unofficial biography, he is a ruthless tyrant that will screw over whomever he pleases to get what he wants.

Unfortunately he is the one trying to muscle in upon the Murdoch TV empire and is now seeing the consequences with Sky's disgusting behaviour.

schizoboy

Read the unofficial biography, he is a ruthless tyrant that will screw … Read the unofficial biography, he is a ruthless tyrant that will screw over whomever he pleases to get what he wants.Unfortunately he is the one trying to muscle in upon the Murdoch TV empire and is now seeing the consequences with Sky's disgusting behaviour.

Hehe, the Official biography was a damn good read:whistling:

I think Ofcom are likely to get involved. As with all broadcasters, advertising revenues have been falling because fewer viewers are watching each channel and TV is a less attractive advertising medium. Usually, channels are priced according to number of viewers and potential advertising revenue. VM claim that viewers have fallen by 7% and advertising revenue will have fallen by more than this. Hence, everything else being equal, VM should be paying less than they were before.

Sky's argument is that they expect to reverse the declining viewer numbers with a stronger lineup involving a 68% increase in programme costs. They will have their own projections which, for example, might expect a 10% increase in viewer numbers because of all the new programmes. Hence, they might argue for a 10% increase in the fee paid by VM.

VM have apparently offered an increased fee but this fails to meet Sky's expectations and they have failed to reach agreement.

Ofcom are likely to review arguments from both sides and set a suitable price. It will then be up to VM whether to pay that price. Trouble is, it will likely take a bit of time for Ofcom to act. In the meantime, you will be missing Lost, 24 etc etc. Clearly, if this goes ahead, all VM customers should be entitled to a reduction in their monthly contract equal to the price VM were paying to Sky. However, I won't hold my breath.

I understand that Sky initially requested a 100% increase in the fee which over negotiations was reduced to a 30% increase. Sky make c.£20m profit per year from this part of the Virgin Media contract. Assuming that VM were paying a fair price previously, it is difficult to see how a 30% increase could be justified. For it to be so, the new programming would need to reverse a 7% decline in viewer numbers and create a 30% increase - not a likely scenario. VM are perfectly correct to walk away from what amounts to blackmail. Let's hope Ofcom act quickly.

One thing which this raises is peoples entitlement to cancel their contract with Virgin Media. Under paragraph J3 of their T's & C's, it states:

"If:
[LIST=1]
[*]we and/or Virgin Media Payments increase our charges under this agreement;
[*]we make significant changes to the services so the services you are entitled to receive in return for the charges you pay are significantly altered or reduced; or
[*]we and/or Virgin Media Payments make significant changes to the terms and conditions of this agreement (including the other legal stuff), [/LIST]you may cancel those services affected without penalty by giving us at least 30 days' notice in writing. If you cancel any services in these circumstances, the increased charges will not apply to those services during the 30 day notice period and paragraph J2 will not apply if you cancel before the end of the minimum period. If you do not give us notice of cancellation within 30 days of any increase in charges or changes to the services or this agreement being notified to you or, if later, receipt of your first bill following such increase in charges, we and Virgin Media Payments will assume that you have accepted the increase in charges and the changes to the services and this agreement and you will no longer be able to cancel your services under this paragraph."

For anyone stuck on a 12 month contract, this will allow them to escape cost free. Could be attractive for some customers.

Lowtrawler

One thing which this raises is peoples entitlement to cancel their … One thing which this raises is peoples entitlement to cancel their contract with Virgin Media. Under paragraph J3 of their T's & C's, it states:"If: [LIST=1][*]we and/or Virgin Media Payments increase our charges under this agreement; [*]we make significant changes to the services so the services you are entitled to receive in return for the charges you pay are significantly altered or reduced; or [*]we and/or Virgin Media Payments make significant changes to the terms and conditions of this agreement (including the other legal stuff), [/LIST]you may cancel those services affected without penalty by giving us at least 30 days' notice in writing. If you cancel any services in these circumstances, the increased charges will not apply to those services during the 30 day notice period and paragraph J2 will not apply if you cancel before the end of the minimum period. If you do not give us notice of cancellation within 30 days of any increase in charges or changes to the services or this agreement being notified to you or, if later, receipt of your first bill following such increase in charges, we and Virgin Media Payments will assume that you have accepted the increase in charges and the changes to the services and this agreement and you will no longer be able to cancel your services under this paragraph."For anyone stuck on a 12 month contract, this will allow them to escape cost free. Could be attractive for some customers.

If i understand that correctly, if the current standoff continues and Sky1 does disappear come March 1st.
Then anyone with VM will have from 01/03 to 30/01 to write into VM to cancel their service, if they leave it past 30/01 then they accept Sky mainstream channels are gone and that is the service they now have.

I wonder what the address is

schizoboy

If i understand that correctly, if the current standoff continues and … If i understand that correctly, if the current standoff continues and Sky1 does disappear come March 1st.Then anyone with VM will have from 01/03 to 30/01 to write into VM to cancel their service, if they leave it past 30/01 then they accept Sky mainstream channels are gone and that is the service they now have.

My interpretation is slightly different. It states that you can cancel the services effected. In this case it is the TV package and so I don't think you would be able to cancel your phone or broadband - just you TV service. However, some people might find that useful.

[SIZE=4][COLOR=royalblue]Could this be known as 'Sky Wars' :giggle: :giggle: [/COLOR][/SIZE]

I have no bbc1 itv or channel 4 today can't understand why

I have none either...strange

just found out its a area fault .

sonia.town

just found out its a area fault .

[COLOR=royalblue] How did you find out, VM's website is crap, at least with NTL you could see where the faults were :thumbsup: I guess they had so many it made sense to have it on the site but as for VM, I don't know :whistling: [/COLOR]

IMHO Mr Branson would do well to appease his customer base, but reducing to fee for Virgin Media customer. The issues we have had with sky over the years means i wouldn't pee on them if they were on fire. We only now have freeview as a result of our disputes, but after a few months - you don't even miss the channels you've lost - kids spend more time off the sofa too!

[COLOR=royalblue]The man from SKY says the increase in money is 20% to VM. He says that the increase would be about 3p per Virgin customer per day and he cannot see what Virgin's problem is. Sky has invested heavily in its approach to the cable industry and it does not see why it should not recoup some of this money.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4169e1][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4169e1]He sounded an awfully nice man :roll: and I, as a NTL/VM customer would not mind giving him another £13 a year..... NOT:giggle: [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4169e1][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4169e1]It also appears that SKY want access to VM's cable network to supply phones, so maybe the BT side of things is getting a little sour...shame :w00t: [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4169e1][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4169e1]I am sticking with VM as I am happy with the package I have and looking forward to improved services and maybe a slight reduction on price due the loss of some channels :thumbsup: [/COLOR]

The saga continues. VM claim that the proposed SKY contract as a minimum doubles the payment from VM to SKY. SKY claim that the cost per customer is increasing by "only" 30%. I think VM are being slightly economical with the truth here. The NTL / Telewest merger has significantly increased the number of NTL (now VM) customers and so a 30% increase per subscriber may well be a 100% increase in the contract cost. However, it needs to be viewed on a per customer basis.

While a 30% increase in cost seems excessive, VM appear to have a bigger issue in that 1 of the conditions SKY have placed on this is that VM withdraw those channels from their basic package and only offer them on the more expensive packages.

There are clearly issues on both sides. SKY want a minimum payment equal to twice what they were getting from NTL which would represent a 30% increase per subscriber if all VM customers continue to subscibe by upgrading from the basic package. VM want to retain the SKY channels in their basic package and they believe a 30% increase is too high. SKY want to move their channels from being mainstream to being premium products and have been investing in new programming to make this so. Hence their desire to make people opt in and pay to get them.

I think VM would be remiss if they agreed to withdraw the SKY channels from their basic package and I can also see no justification for an increase as large as 30%. I think if SKY withdrew their demand as to which package the channels can be part off and reduced the increase to 20%, they would probably get a deal. One other option would be to provide them as a bolt-on in the same way as SKY Movies and Sports. This would meet the desire of SKY to move their channels into the premium arena and move VM away from paying an increase disproportionate to the income they get from it.

Crazy1

[COLOR=royalblue] How did you find out, VM's website is crap, at least … [COLOR=royalblue] How did you find out, VM's website is crap, at least with NTL you could see where the faults were :thumbsup: I guess they had so many it made sense to have it on the site but as for VM, I don't know :whistling: [/COLOR]

I rang them up first thing got through instantly which was a miracle .

Original Poster

I've heard that Sky are now going to up the stakes by revoking Virgin Medias premium channels, such as Sky Movies and Sky Sports.

I really hope this isn't the case, as i'm going to stay at my gf's from the weekend and it will mean practically every channel that we watch will be gone....... at least i have Sky at my mums house

I used to have Sky - it was a lovely happy relationship - right up until the skybox died on me one day - then it turned to distrust and hate! And I cancelled! That was 18months ago and they still ring me pleading to have them back!

Pah! Bog OFF! :x

I'm happy with FreeView, I sometimes miss those fab Sky1 shows mentioned - Lost etc but only for a minute or two - if I was that bothered I'd get a mate to record them for me!

Once all the arguing is over and I can clearly see what I'm getting for my money then Mr Branson will most likely get my business.

IMO Sky & Murdoch are bullies who need to be brought down a peg or three!

http://gprime.net/board/images/smilies/ranting.gif

Banned

to be honest Sky now is an expensive option, I binned mine over two years ago and dont miss it at all.

Perhaps a better option which was mentioned by a friend is purchasing one of these motorised dishes/control box and hunt around for some of the other channels available and if your a lover of football, german and spanish can be found, plus with a bit of hunting around on various net boards:whistling: can come up with cheaper alternatives than the sky card :w00t:

all repeats and movies that are well out of date... rubbish :x
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52522875
    2. Add one, leave one game54415445
    3. Anyone else bored of video gaming46
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769494

See more discussions