Virgin Media Bandwidth Throttling Petition

Ive just signed this... and perhaps others using Virgin since the takeover should do also. To be honest im fed up with my service from 4pm to midnight. It now sucks bigtime... to the extent that if ive got emule or bittorrent running i cant even surf in IE. I was happy with NTL... no so impressed with this decision from Virgin to throttle peoples bandwidth :x

petitions.pm.gov.uk/Vir…ed/ Click Me and Sign Up

17 Comments

look im going to be impartial here

im with virgin and the throttling annoys me

but the throttling only is in effect between 4 and 12 - and to be fair you have to be downloading things like tv or movies to trigger it - - your not going over the cap with web browsing

so therefore your asking virgin to help you download (mostly illegal) files, yopu have admitted to using torrents etc
also turn down the priority of these apps and you can surf

the pm petition site is a joke - you can apply for anything!

Original Poster

I understand your side knewbold. But the fact is i could be using the service for legitimate dl's all day... and i would still be throttled. I hate it when they use terms like 'unlimited' and yet still use the term 'up to 2/4/10/20 meg'. This sort of thing grips me coz they have the monopoly on cable... i know it happens aswell on adsl, but at least you have a choice and can go with a supplier that allows you to dl without punishment. Also i signed up to a service that didnt have these restrictions... now 7 months later this has happened. Do/can i pull out of the contract i dunno?? I sold all my adsl gear and switched to an 8port dsl router... if i did id have to sell again :-P

I hate any form of suppression and to just introduce it without even an email sucks bigtime. I signed up for and pay regularly for a 4meg service... i want that speed. I understand and except contention ratios/overall cabinet bandwidth/QOS etc... but what they are doing is more than that - its criminal !!

PS... im only on 4meg FFS... im not even a 20megger !!!

Well lots of companies do this... and we've already had a petition on there about the use of the word "unlimited" in broadband ads and it was overthrown.

TBH it's petitions like this that take credibility away from the whole PM petition system.

Without some form of throttling the ISPs servers would kinda get overloaded in the evening... this would cause crashes. So really, it's between the lesser of two evils - slower speeds or total downtime.

Some reading for you...

slyck.com/new…668
news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm

There was a good article about it a couple of issues of Web User ago but I can't find my copy...

Wouldn't it be far easier to restrict to 2mb speeds?, Surely having a 16mb-20mb connection to browse the internet is a waste of bandwidth!

Ive told people over and over that Virgin is cappin all people you just dont listen .....

For virgin customers who want more info...

]http//al…tml

I think it makes sense, I'd have to download 3GB between 4pm-12am for it to trigger and to lower me onto 5Mb for 4 hours.. it doesn't really bother me, if I felt i was hitting 3gb i'd just change my download pattern and do most of it before 4pm lol

Its not just torrents etc that will trigger the cap.

I run at least 30+Gb a month, most of which is the evening.

Run Winamp, so i am streaming music, or the new TV services will eat it up.
You have 4OD to download your TV programs you missed, as well as the other services coming out.

Gamers are knackered anyway, they will use bandwidth gaming, or downloading game updates, which can hit quite high amounts of storage space.

If a new version comes out i will hit the limits on one game i play, which is free and legal, but a 2.8Gb download, often requiring a full download for major updates.
A gamer reinstaling his PC, updating all his games when he reinstalls (even at 100-200mb per time) will hit this limit easily.

4Meg here, so only allowed 750Mb a night, total crap.

It's not about stopping illegal P2P though... it's about keeping the servers online.

Let's go down to simple terms...

As Virgin say, the internet has always been known as the "information superhighway". Imagine it like that... a nice big long set of roads.

While the main cables, like our "motorways", can handle the traffic most of the time, the smaller cables in towns and residential areas, the narrow "roads" aren't really able to cope with a lot of traffic.

5 years ago and less, all we *really* used the internet for was looking at websites, sending image files and getting a few songs and films. The highway ran quite freely.

But then things started happening. Another web revolution. All of a sudden, we were streaming songs on our myspace profiles, downloading entire albums, straming video after video on YouTube, downloading TV from 4OD and all of a sudden the internet "traffic" has increased.

Now then. There's plenty of space to PARK this traffic... plenty of space to hold websites, videos, and anything else... but what happens when it all trys to move? All at the same time?

You could be downloading 4OD, the neighbours could all be streaming YouTube videos, your next-door-but-one neighbours could all be downloading movies and all of a sudden your street is blocked up, which traffic all over the place and in the end they all get stuck and just stop moving, gridlocked.

Well this is kinda what's happening. Plenty of space, but it can't all move about at once so when everybody starts to move about it's chaos and needs slowing down.

It was OK while all we were doing was static websites, but now we're so power-hungry it just doesn't work any more. The interweb really has become a victim of its own popularity.

The End.

@HaggisHunter.

30GB Per month average that = 1GB per day. If 75% of that is peak, 25% off peak, that means you will just about hit the throttling (75% of 1GB = 750MB), which means you will be ok!

I don't like the idea of throttling, but I would much rather be slower than totally offline!

I won't sign the petition because, as someone mentioned, it undermines the petition system in place and it's value is being slowly degraded!

Original Poster

All this talk about 'if you do this you will be ok'. Things only got worse since the introduction of 10meg + and when Virgin took over. Why was it running fine on 4meg when NTL were still in force then ?? Also i think if this is how its gonna be just because of this... cut down all speeds to the very reasonable 4meg limit. Im happy with that as long as i get full b/w when i want it. Bring it back to how it was when it was NTL and there were no silly speeds of 20meg etc.

MattC

@HaggisHunter.30GB Per month average that = 1GB per day. If 75% of that … @HaggisHunter.30GB Per month average that = 1GB per day. If 75% of that is peak, 25% off peak, that means you will just about hit the throttling (75% of 1GB = 750MB), which means you will be ok!I don't like the idea of throttling, but I would much rather be slower than totally offline!I won't sign the petition because, as someone mentioned, it undermines the petition system in place and it's value is being slowly degraded!

I didnt say i ran 30Gb per month, i said at least 30+Gb per month.
Ie i can easily hit double that or more, and the 30Gb months are the really slow ones.

This month i am sitting at just over 12Gb usage, but i have been away to T in the Park, and i only installed the firewall that monitors usage 2 days before i went. So its about 6/7 days and i have hit 12Gb.

Averages dont work, as people wont be on the internet every day out of 30 days to try and spread out the allowed usage.

Running Winamp Radio, i am downloading 1.13Mb per minute.
1 Hour means a download of 67.8Mb.
Over the 8 hours of the throttling, it would be 542.4Mb out of the 750Mb i am allowed.

This is just listening to radio.
The extra 200mb i would easily use just browsing the way i do since i do watch lotsa stupid videos etc.

I am on Virgin Media, 20MB and have the throttling too.

To be honest, I have no problems with it at all. If I want to download somthign I click on a link and it downloads. I have no need for it to be completely downloaded in 5 minutes, it gets to me when it gets to me.

I can understand those who are streaming, etc in the evenings and find the throttling a problem, but you know what, you can always move over to ADSL.

I have been on ADSL and will NEVER go back. I have a true unlimited package with Virgin (I have maxed out at 500GB one month and not heard anything) and I know the line I have is stable and consistant.

If they have to throttle to keep the line stable and constant then why shouldn't they? As long as it goes up to a decent speed after a certain amount of time (which it does) then my £18.50 a month is worth spending.

Cant see what the problem is to be honest. You dont have to stay with Virgin.

Original Poster

Isnt it funny that most of the people that dont have a problem with the throttling are on the 20meg service. All the rest of us peasants seem to have some sort of a gripe !

Simon_G

I am on Virgin Media, 20MB and have the throttling too.To be honest, I … I am on Virgin Media, 20MB and have the throttling too.To be honest, I have no problems with it at all. If I want to download somthign I click on a link and it downloads. I have no need for it to be completely downloaded in 5 minutes, it gets to me when it gets to me.I can understand those who are streaming, etc in the evenings and find the throttling a problem, but you know what, you can always move over to ADSL. I have been on ADSL and will NEVER go back. I have a true unlimited package with Virgin (I have maxed out at 500GB one month and not heard anything) and I know the line I have is stable and consistant. If they have to throttle to keep the line stable and constant then why shouldn't they? As long as it goes up to a decent speed after a certain amount of time (which it does) then my £18.50 a month is worth spending.Cant see what the problem is to be honest. You dont have to stay with Virgin.

agree with everything, I've been on cable for the last few months and it's great compared to ADSL. most adsl providers throttle p2p at all times down to ridiculous speeds like 3KB/s, and if you do manage to breach their unwritten limits on their "unlimited" service you get asked to leave. I'm on the 4mb package and download heavily but I have no restrictions on the amount I download and only get restricted to 2 meg speeds.....virgin solution is the best for me.

I have the full virgin 20MB service.. WOW is it great. BUT.. sometimes I feel like im not actually getting all that power?

Why is this?
Well many say that the speed you d/l over torrents depends on the health at the other end.

Anything over 10mb + is enough for our lifestyle. You only get what you pay for. Thats how it is... :roll: Nothing is free nowdays and Money doesnt grow on trees! Lol

How do i check my optimum d/l speed?

Internet_Tycoon

How do i check my optimum d/l speed?

I think I've seen Speed Test mentioned on these forums.

speedtest.net/

For a more thorough test I use Dan Elwell's Broadband Speed Test, a downloadable utility.

broadbandspeedtest.net/
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 892529
    2. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…66
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764306
    4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846211

See more discussions