Virgin Media Broadband

Posted 6th May
Hi Everyone,

Any help/advice on the following?

I’ve got a contract with virgin media for my broadband and phone line and it was a great deal I think £27pm plus cash back at the time. My contracts now come to an end and I’ve been paying £50+ since.

I know they have better deals for new customers. Is there anyway I can get those deals without having to cancel my existing package and go through the headache all of that.

I’ve tried customer service but they couldn’t match those new customer ones.

Anyone have similar in the past and any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

17 Comments
Usual methodology is to notify cancellation and wait for contact from retention team. Just make sure your account contact preferences are set to permit contact.
VM only respond to cancellations. Submit a cancellation which requires you to give them a months notice. You can expect a call from them within a couple of weeks and you can then quote the cheapest alternative that you have been able to find as the package you are moving to. Chances are they will either match or get close to matching that price.
Yes
Keep calling back, eventually you might get through to somebody who wants to help.
The problem is if you cancel at VM Open Reach can't at the moment connect you to any supplier that uses their lines. It's to do with Corona virus situation.VM know this and have you over a barrel.
Edited by: "yorkie12" 6th May
Lowtrawler06/05/2020 13:36

VM only respond to cancellations. Submit a cancellation which requires you …VM only respond to cancellations. Submit a cancellation which requires you to give them a months notice. You can expect a call from them within a couple of weeks and you can then quote the cheapest alternative that you have been able to find as the package you are moving to. Chances are they will either match or get close to matching that price.

This is the best advice. People you call do not have access to best deals. I cancelled last month within 48 hours I had a call offering 100meg at £26 and 50meg at £21. I went with the 50meg knowing they’ll upgrade me at some point in the next few months.
StokeMeAClipper06/05/2020 14:49

This is the best advice. People you call do not have access to best deals. …This is the best advice. People you call do not have access to best deals. I cancelled last month within 48 hours I had a call offering 100meg at £26 and 50meg at £21. I went with the 50meg knowing they’ll upgrade me at some point in the next few months.

Did you tell them who you were thinking of moving to?
Thanks for all the replies. I might have to give them a call and put in my cancellation request.
Lately the advice is to see if you can test a Smarty unlimited one month SIM (£35-ish) by connecting your router to a 4G modem. If you have an Asus router it can be simple, an old 4G Android phone can be that modem. Others have used an old 4G phone into a hotspot for the same purpose. Coverage of whole house on a hotspot may be an issue though.
If the experiment looks hopeful it's time to serve notice on Virgin.
harrythefish06/05/2020 18:29

Lately the advice is to see if you can test a Smarty unlimited one month …Lately the advice is to see if you can test a Smarty unlimited one month SIM (£35-ish) by connecting your router to a 4G modem. If you have an Asus router it can be simple, an old 4G Android phone can be that modem. Others have used an old 4G phone into a hotspot for the same purpose. Coverage of whole house on a hotspot may be an issue though. If the experiment looks hopeful it's time to serve notice on Virgin.

Have u any deals on Asus routers
This is a fairly typical deal
hotukdeals.com/dea…080
These can be a good investment anyway, as you can combine it with the router that an internet service provider gives you and get better house coverage (I do). It's a much discussed subject on HUKD.

I would never opt for an ISP that does not let me use my own router
harrythefish06/05/2020 18:50

This is a fairly typical …This is a fairly typical dealhttps://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/asus-dsl-ac68u-wifi-vdsl-modem-router-bt-ac-1900-dual-band-3454080These can be a good investment anyway, as you can combine it with the router that an internet service provider gives you and get better house coverage (I do). It's a much discussed subject on HUKD.I would never opt for an ISP that does not let me use my own router

Ya coz I have free virgin router wanted 4g link thanks
To be clear, you can add an Asus router onto a Virgin Media router. At least my model of Superhub allows it using the special 'modem only' setting. Because this combination works reliably I'm not interested in any router upgrades from Virgin. To switch to 4G all I have to do is plug a 4G dongle or phone into the USB socket on the Asus.
harrythefish08/05/2020 10:03

To be clear, you can add an Asus router onto a Virgin Media router. At …To be clear, you can add an Asus router onto a Virgin Media router. At least my model of Superhub allows it using the special 'modem only' setting. Because this combination works reliably I'm not interested in any router upgrades from Virgin. To switch to 4G all I have to do is plug a 4G dongle or phone into the USB socket on the Asus.

Which model Asus router do u have pls
dave.richardsonskV08/05/2020 10:04

Which model Asus router do u have pls

RT-N66U. I think all recent Asus routers can manage 4G data via a USB socket. Many Android phones and some USB 4G dongles work with it but finding an accurate list of which brands is impossible, some trial and error needed.
harrythefish08/05/2020 10:08

RT-N66U. I think all recent Asus routers can manage 4G data via a USB …RT-N66U. I think all recent Asus routers can manage 4G data via a USB socket. Many Android phones and some USB 4G dongles work with it but finding an accurate list of which brands is impossible, some trial and error needed.

Ok thanks
dave.richardsonskV08/05/2020 10:09

Ok thanks

I got lucky on the 4G stick, bought a cheap ZTE MF823 mobile broadband Dongle unlocked from eBay and it works with the Asus. Gets a bit warm though.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions