Virgin Media Broadband Hub 3.0 poor range FREE BOOSTER!!!!

Found 23rd Sep 2018
Just had my Router changed to a Hub 3.0 because of a fault on my old router.

Immediately the range of the WiFi is terrible.

Just spoke to an Techy who actually knew his stuff and ordered me a free booster.

He even said to save the delivery charge I can pick up my free wired booster on Tues locally in a little newsagent round the corner.

Think the Wifi Range issue on the Hub 3.0 is a massive one.

I think is a Netgear one but will let you know.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
ISP hubs are only good for one thing, sticking in modem only mode.
22 Comments
cmdr_elito5 m ago

Could you explain what is modem only ? Is this to use as a pass through to a better router or something ?
Do You know a cheapish dual band Wireless router with a good range if the wired booster doesn't work?

The Range of the WIFi was fine with the old virgin media routers i have had several.
Mark_Hickman6 m ago

Could you explain what is modem only ? Is this to use as a pass through to …Could you explain what is modem only ? Is this to use as a pass through to a better router or something ?

Yes you can connect the Virgin Media Hub to a separate wireless router with a more powerful control and range of the WiFi
You set it to Modem only mode and run a cable into the new Wireless router which then controls all the distribution of the Wifi. The VM Hub 3.0 seem to be very poor at this.
Edited by: "Southerndealfinder" 23rd Sep 2018
Southerndealfinder50 m ago

Yes you can connect the Virgin Media Hub to a separate wireless router …Yes you can connect the Virgin Media Hub to a separate wireless router with a more powerful control and range of the WiFiYou set it to Modem only mode and run a cable into the new Wireless router which then controls all the distribution of the Wifi. The VM Hub 3.0 seem to be very poor at this.

I see so are you sayimg the vm hub 3.0 is poor at distributing wifi or at being used as a modem ? Ive never had an issue with the wifi and i have cctv, hive heating, lights and sensors plus hive cameras then around 15 devices connected. Maybe its because my house is small and compact so the range dosnt have to be so powerful ?
Mark_Hickman45 m ago

I see so are you sayimg the vm hub 3.0 is poor at distributing wifi or at …I see so are you sayimg the vm hub 3.0 is poor at distributing wifi or at being used as a modem ? Ive never had an issue with the wifi and i have cctv, hive heating, lights and sensors plus hive cameras then around 15 devices connected. Maybe its because my house is small and compact so the range dosnt have to be so powerful ?

My VM hub 3.0 is used in in student houses where everyone is data hungry with heavy streaming all over the terraced house.
Next to the hub we are getting 200Mbs 1st floor 15Mbs 2nd floor 1.5Mbs. The old VM Hubs worked much better all over the house. I am sure VM new dual band Hub 3.0 has a problem with distance of WiFi and control of distibution of that wifi when several people are using it. They wouldn't offer the free booster if it wasn't a problem.
They charged me an extra £3 a month for mine! Tempted to call and see what retentions will give me after the mid contract price increase too
Edited by: "Jamie_S" 23rd Sep 2018
The virgin hub I received the other day was pretty decent. I still put it in modem model and used my own router though
len_ere1 h, 7 m ago

The virgin hub I received the other day was pretty decent. I still put it …The virgin hub I received the other day was pretty decent. I still put it in modem model and used my own router though

Exactly you know the range and control of the WiFi is poor
Southerndealfinder7 h, 49 m ago

Like I said the new one was alright. I already owned my router, bit weird no using it!
there was a thread not so long ago on Ask section and someone posted some advice on how to make the wifi better. cant find it for love nor money now. thought id saved the thread but nope. it was something about going into settings and changing some options.
EN1GMA52 m ago

there was a thread not so long ago on Ask section and someone posted some …there was a thread not so long ago on Ask section and someone posted some advice on how to make the wifi better. cant find it for love nor money now. thought id saved the thread but nope. it was something about going into settings and changing some options.

Advanced setting-Wireless signal-disable channel optimization-Select 20/40/80
Edited by: "fearona" 24th Sep 2018
fearona3 h, 6 m ago

Advanced setting-Wireless signal-disable channel optimization-Select …Advanced setting-Wireless signal-disable channel optimization-Select 20/40/80

That 20/40/80 option only comes when I disable channel optimization.

When it's enabled, the channel width option is greyed out which means can't select 20/40/80 MHz option.
EN1GMA2 h, 15 m ago

That 20/40/80 option only comes when I disable channel optimization.When …That 20/40/80 option only comes when I disable channel optimization.When it's enabled, the channel width option is greyed out which means can't select 20/40/80 MHz option.

Disable channel optimization
Bought a cheap DD-WRT router off eBay, stuck a powerline adapter into it, put it into AP mode and now the top floor of the house has solid Wi-Fi (and my room has way more ethernet ports) and the bottom floor is decent using the SH3.
EN1GMA11 h, 48 m ago

That 20/40/80 option only comes when I disable channel optimization.When …That 20/40/80 option only comes when I disable channel optimization.When it's enabled, the channel width option is greyed out which means can't select 20/40/80 MHz option.

Did you read it
fearona12 m ago

Did you read it

ive read it again...ooops

in my defence it was the evening time I read your comment and was tired. apologies, feel like a right clutz now

so does that option increase the wifi range, increase the strength of the connection or both?

many thanks
len_ere23rd Sep

The virgin hub I received the other day was pretty decent. I still put it …The virgin hub I received the other day was pretty decent. I still put it in modem model and used my own router though

I've seen it mentioned that instead of putting router on modem only mode, some people just disable the signal of the vm superhub, attach another router and go that way. not sure if that's any better for better coverage/signal.

whats the way to use another router with there superhub but not have 2 ssid's? is using a wifi extender the only way?
EN1GMA3 m ago

I've seen it mentioned that instead of putting router on modem only mode, …I've seen it mentioned that instead of putting router on modem only mode, some people just disable the signal of the vm superhub, attach another router and go that way. not sure if that's any better for better coverage/signal. whats the way to use another router with there superhub but not have 2 ssid's? is using a wifi extender the only way?

I would just put it in modem mode personally. Mine works mint 100mb up stairs
len_ere3 m ago

I would just put it in modem mode personally. Mine works mint 100mb up …I would just put it in modem mode personally. Mine works mint 100mb up stairs

so put the SH in modem only mode, attach your own router and that's it? i'll try to blag a free wifi booster thing like OP. if no joy, might have to buy a decent router.
I have got a devolo powerline adapters knocking about, its the one with the Ethernet and wifi combo.
EN1GMA53 s ago

so put the SH in modem only mode, attach your own router and that's it? …so put the SH in modem only mode, attach your own router and that's it? i'll try to blag a free wifi booster thing like OP. if no joy, might have to buy a decent router.I have got a devolo powerline adapters knocking about, its the one with the Ethernet and wifi combo.

Yep mate. Power line adapters are good too!
Southerndealfinder23rd Sep

I can't complain about our SH3, apart from Wi-Fi Range upstairs mainly because of the placement. Other than that, we still use ours in Router Mode and have an additional AirPort Extreme upstairs.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants