Virgin Media (broadband) retentions

23 replies
Found 6th Sep 2010
Phoned up retentions today to see if I could get a better deal on the broadband we receive. We get 10MB for £20 at the moment - pretty standard stuff.

I mentioned O2 was cheaper and was thinking of leaving for them but they couldn't offer me any discount on the £20 I am paying at the moment - not even a quid!

Anyone have better luck than me? I went through and arranged a cancellation date and will just sign up again as the first 3 months are £15 for new customers (will get my housemate to register under his name). Will get quidco too so maybe this works out better than a retentions deal..

23 Comments

retentions don't give as good discounts as they used too.

Is it really worth disconnecting and re-connecting just to save £5 for 3mths?

Original Poster

lilraul

Or in my case.. any discount at all!

I would have thought they'd rather give me a few quid off than have me leave. Had the same when I left O2 a few weeks ago - didn't try and tempt me at all. All they could offer was a contract which had less minutes than I was paying for anyway!

I suppose for every customer that leaves, more sign up.. so there's less emphasis on keeping excising customers..

ro53ben

Is it really worth disconnecting and re-connecting just to save £5 for … Is it really worth disconnecting and re-connecting just to save £5 for 3mths?

£65 cashback too through Quidco.

Might give retentions another call and see if they'll match the new customers offer 3 months @ 15 then 9 @ 20. Surprised they wouldn't even offer me that!
Edited by: "oldmanhouse" 6th Sep 2010

I'm moving to them from Sky on Wed for £30 & free instillation. 50 MB. Your deal doesn't sound too good.

Original Poster

cw9652

I'm moving to them from Sky on Wed for £30 & free instillation. 50 MB. … I'm moving to them from Sky on Wed for £30 & free instillation. 50 MB. Your deal doesn't sound too good.

That's a pretty good deal. Did the Sales team offer you that straight up without any haggling?

I know what you mean. I had a hard time haggling with them a couple of months ago. Managed to get 10mb bb, evening and weekend calls, line rental, basic tv with 3 months free tv choice for £25 a month.

I recently dropped V+ as we don't utilise all the channels and wanted to save some money (I am just rigging up the house with Freesat instead) told them about the sky up to 20mb + 24/7 calls + Line Rental at £26 per month, and they can't match it like for like.

Lowest I got is £25.44 per month for 10mb L Broadband and evening and weekend calls.

Thing is now they know that unless you are close to the exchange you are nowhere near going to get as good a broadband service on ADSL, and I don't want that bottleneck....so rather than cancel I have had to stick with the much better fibre optic network and sustained speeds that Virgin gives.

they arent gonna negotiate over a single service.

you could go to sky but it means getting a BT line and paying line rental too
plus less speed the further you are from the exchange

maybe they actually hate you

I pay £25 per month for the 20mb BB and I tried to downgrade my XL BB from 20mb down to 10mb as they were advertising the new customer offer for 10mb at £12.50.

I was on the phone with CS and retention and no luck, I emailed them several times to complain but it was about a month later I got a call from the complaints department. All I can say is that he lacked customer service big time. He was very defensive, stated at first that I wouldnt get the discounted 10mb for £12.50 as I wasnt a new customer but I could have it for £20 as that was the standard price. I said I've been with Virgin/Telewest for over 10 years and he said it doesnt matter I still wasnt getting the discount.

The conversation got even more heated and he back tracked and agreed to give me the 10mb at £12.50 but only if I gave up my TV package discount, which may I add was agreed at £1 for life during a telewest WIGIG offer. I told him that this was a lifetime offer at £1 for the TV package as it was offered to me by Telewest for as long as I had at least the phone line. He then told me that was wrong and that the TV offer only lasted a year, I told him that was crap and he knew that he was lying.

30 minutes later I realised that I wasnt really getting anywhere so I said that what I needed to do was re-assess whether I needed the BB at all and look at much cheaper alternatives. He didnt give a hoot. It seemed like they were sales driven rather than wanting to keep loyal customers.

I'm now looking at Mobile BB and will be aiming to end my Virgin BB service in the next few months as I only use the internet for email and web browsing now, whereas in previous years I downloaded a lot of large files so hoping to save quite a bit.

Maybe when I find a reliable customer service provider who is competitive and looks to reward loyal customers, then I will consider the BB again.

when companies fail to retain customers only to chase new ones....they always fail
FAIL

Banned

lilraul

ro53ben

Is it really worth disconnecting and re-connecting just to save £5 for … Is it really worth disconnecting and re-connecting just to save £5 for 3mths?

you wont be classed as a new customer for 6 months AFTER disconnection. It works on ADDRESS and not name. Otherwise, we'd all be at it.

£20 seems a tad high.

Mine is £18.99 pcm for 10mbps BB, telephone line rental and talk weekends

Original Poster

csiman

you wont be classed as a new customer for 6 months AFTER disconnection. … you wont be classed as a new customer for 6 months AFTER disconnection. It works on ADDRESS and not name. Otherwise, we'd all be at it.£20 seems a tad high.Mine is £18.99 pcm for 10mbps BB, telephone line rental and talk weekends

Ah ok, cheers for that - won't bother in that case. Will give retentions another call but as another member has said, they probably won't give me a discount because i'm only taking out one service.
Edited by: "oldmanhouse" 7th Sep 2010

I just have L Broadband with them, have been paying £13/month for the last 12 months.
Just had latest bill through for £19.
2 calls - 1 to billing enquiries then 1 to retentions, weren't interested in doing anything at all for me.
Trouble is I don't have a BT line as we don't have a home phone, so cant really move elsewhere...

used to be a lot easier to get deals out of them!

cw9652

I'm moving to them from Sky on Wed for £30 & free instillation. 50 MB. … I'm moving to them from Sky on Wed for £30 & free instillation. 50 MB. Your deal doesn't sound too good.

cw9652

No, first call was £38 p/m and £55 instillation.. When I called the next day, a new guy took my call, and although it took about half an hour, I got this deal. It is installed now, and is perfect!

My 8meg broadband with be is 6.90 per month, you're getting ripped off!

sancho1983

Pop a speedtest.net image on here.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/949323392.png

From my Laptop connected wirelessly

Bit slower than usual, suppose it's busy. I would say 6-6.5 is usual, not quite what I pay for, but I'm pleased with it, especially for the price (and the amount I download )

sancho1983

From my Laptop connected wirelesslyBit slower than usual, suppose it's … From my Laptop connected wirelesslyBit slower than usual, suppose it's busy. I would say 6-6.5 is usual, not quite what I pay for, but I'm pleased with it, especially for the price (and the amount I download )

Very good mate - You have a good little deal there.

Banned

sancho1983

you not pay line rental on top of that?

Who are you saying is getting ripped off? The poster above is 50mb for £30, don't think you will get that from be.

sancho1983

I assume you have a landline?
Rental for that ?

plus this is cable broadband we're talking about.
when they say 10mb you're pretty much gonna get 10mb. no drop due to being further from the phone exchange and its unlimited.

not even a comparison with ADSL

Yeah, 10 on top, I meant op, 20 for 10meg seems crazy expensive.

30 for 50 meg seems good, I can't get it though, and they capped the hell out of me when I used to be with them
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Incorrect Amazon refunds - how can I make sure they don't owe me any more m…822
    2. Cineworld - possible to book film for future at counter to save booking fee…33
    3. Aliexpress - To be trusted?810
    4. Driving anxiety.2841

See more discussions