Virgin Media Cable Help...Again!

27 replies
Found 10th Oct 2009
Right we've been on the phone to virgin and theyve tried to blame our inconsistent speeds and dropouts to our D-Link 'n' router...that they provided.

However, they also have nothing on their system saying we have got that router, but thats another issue.

They are ringing back at 6pm to see how it is. Problem is one minute the internet works fine for a few minutes then it doesnt load anything and times out for a few minutes, and continues in this cycle.

Weve checked no one is downloading, it cant be a wireless issue as im having the same problem via Ethernet.
So i decided to see whether the splitter on the line or the length of cabling made a difference, so i have plugged in a 1.5m cable from the main box that comes into our house...still same problem!

However before hand this was our modem results:
Downstream Power Level: 10dBmV
SNR: 35.8 dB

But now were getting:
Downstream Power Level: 15dBmV
SNR: 43.5dB

So anybody any ideas?
When the internet stops intermediately i can access and change things in the router, but not the modem...thus leading me to believe its a modem fault of some sort.

27 Comments

problem is either on your computer or the router.

rule out the pc by testing with another device
second laptop
ps3/360/wii
wifi based phone

if the same thing happens with that, then virgin are more likely to take that the router is at fault and replace

Banned

have spammed the other two, if you do it too the other two should autoremove

50meg??

Get them to send out a technician to adjust the settings of the modem.

how do you check the speeds , as ours have been so slow for days .

Original Poster

cristoff;6536699

problem is either on your computer or the router.rule out the pc by … problem is either on your computer or the router.rule out the pc by testing with another devicesecond laptopps3/360/wiiwifi based phoneif the same thing happens with that, then virgin are more likely to take that the router is at fault and replace

tried with two other PCs! nope theyve already said they wont replace the router as there is nothing on their system that we even were given a N router! Also as i said i can connect to the router when the internet doesnt work, but cant access the modem, so i think its the later.
sassie;6536723

have spammed the other two, if you do it too the other two should … have spammed the other two, if you do it too the other two should autoremove

cheers...its where it doesnt look like its loading here :x
deathtrap3000;6536754

50meg??Get them to send out a technician to adjust the settings of the … 50meg??Get them to send out a technician to adjust the settings of the modem.

20meg...although barely...some speedtests weve done have only got 2-3mb...best we got was about 17-18mb though (which is about right i think). Yeah i want a techie out to place a attenuator on the line to reduce the power as its too high and to also change the old wiring and maybe even the box by our front door as thats an old grey one with a FM out still!

Original Poster

the kentish maid;6536785

how do you check the speeds , as ours have been so slow for days .

speedtest.net

Wouldnt rely on speedtest. Use the newsgroups and download some random files from that.

Original Poster

deathtrap3000;6536831

Wouldnt rely on speedtest. Use the newsgroups and download some random … Wouldnt rely on speedtest. Use the newsgroups and download some random files from that.

speedtest has always been fine for me in coventry, london, and west sussex without a problem...cant use newsgroups as not subscribed, files directly off the blueyonder (virgin) site will max out at about 200KB/sec and go as low as 75KB/sec plus it wont update for like 10secs at a time...just frozen and not a case of not responding either.

just so you know mate, i was having the same problems, the fibre optical cable at virgin has snapped and it isn't getting fixed till monday (this is what they have told me)

Original Poster

deathtrap3000;6536975

news.virginmedia.com - free

ooooooo cheers ill give that a buzz anyways. :thumbsup:
danny09;6536992

just so you know mate, i was having the same problems, the fibre optical … just so you know mate, i was having the same problems, the fibre optical cable at virgin has snapped and it isn't getting fixed till monday (this is what they have told me)

hmmmm didnt tell me that! Is that one line of all of their lines though? in in Coventry?

awoodhall2003;6537043

ooooooo cheers ill give that a buzz anyways. :thumbsup:hmmmm didnt tell … ooooooo cheers ill give that a buzz anyways. :thumbsup:hmmmm didnt tell me that! Is that one line of all of their lines though? in in Coventry?

i would believe so mate, as they did say it was their main fibre optical cable was broken which would provide the entire country with the internet (im only guessing this last bit) im in Basingstoke and my internet isn't too bad atm but still not to what it should be.

i had the same problem aswell and they ended up having to repull the cable from the exchange box at the end of our road to my house and guess what??????? it works fantastic now but i had countless phonecalls andf them insisting it was my pc and they even went as far as replacing my v box and modem before coming to the conclusion it was outside. good luck

Original Poster

danny09;6537071

i would believe so mate, as they did say it was their main fibre optical … i would believe so mate, as they did say it was their main fibre optical cable was broken which would provide the entire country with the internet (im only guessing this last bit) im in Basingstoke and my internet isn't too bad atm but still not to what it should be.

ah could well be that, nothing says that on their status website though and they never mentioned it to me either. :?
*roosterpots*;6537864

i had the same problem aswell and they ended up having to repull the … i had the same problem aswell and they ended up having to repull the cable from the exchange box at the end of our road to my house and guess what??????? it works fantastic now but i had countless phonecalls andf them insisting it was my pc and they even went as far as replacing my v box and modem before coming to the conclusion it was outside. good luck

i hope thats not the case...as it doesnt just affect me as its a student house!
Well i might insist they get an engineer out as much as i can then!

ok just done speed check
Download2.35mbs
upload 0.47mbs
ping 149ms
and still dont know what it means

well, my ping is 17ms which is around normal, thats how fast virgins signal takes to get from your modem to the bbc and back again, i say the bbc as thats what i was told to ping to by technical support at virgin.
your download should be higher than 2.35 but i was getting 0.5 meg and they say it depends on the time of day too and high peak as such is until around 10pm according to virgin, give me two ticks and ill post mine...

192.168.100.1/CmD…asp
password and username both root, gives you all info about your modem

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 7
Downstream Frequency : 331000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : -4.0 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 36.8 dB

mines fine and in the normal range, the downstream power level shpuld be between 12 and -7, mine went as low as -10 that was when i was having problems like your saying you have.

Original Poster

Yeah ive been in contact with tech support on the newsgroup so rep to ]deathtrap3000
They confirmed my power levels were too high and have got an engineer coming out on monday evening to sort it!

downstream power level should be between -8 to 8 ideally. and if the SNR goes below 30 i think he said it can cause problems too.

op, your downstream power levels seem to be more than fine and in the normal range, 10, bl00dy hell, as you can see from my pp, mines -4 but works fine, i think you should definately call an engineer out

awoodhall2003;6539807

Yeah ive been in contact with tech support on the newsgroup so rep to … Yeah ive been in contact with tech support on the newsgroup so rep to ]deathtrap3000They confirmed my power levels were too high and have got an engineer coming out on monday evening to sort it!downstream power level should be between -8 to 8 ideally. and if the SNR goes below 30 i think he said it can cause problems too.

good stuff, lets hope they find whats the problem, post back and let us know what they said :thumbsup:

Original Poster

*roosterpots*;6539850

op, your downstream power levels seem to be more than fine and in the … op, your downstream power levels seem to be more than fine and in the normal range, 10, bl00dy hell, as you can see from my pp, mines -4 but works fine, i think you should definately call an engineer out

huh?

you just said theyre in the normal range and then said i should call an engineer out? :?

The optimal range is -8 to 8 which puts yours nicely inside the range...mine even the 10 is out, although not by much, but on a shorter run goes upto 15! which is nearly double the highest it should optimally be at.

Ive got an engineer coming out on monday evening now to look/sort it.

just because it does seem high, when mine was at -7 technical support arranged for someone to call round, i was told a different range, from -7 to 12 was normal :oops:

Another thing you could try is changing your DNS Servers from Virgin to OpenDNS ! :thumbsup:

Virgin have problems with their DNS servers sometimes.

opendns.com/

If it makes no difference it's easily changed back.

Original Poster

*roosterpots*;6540003

just because it does seem high, when mine was at -7 technical support … just because it does seem high, when mine was at -7 technical support arranged for someone to call round, i was told a different range, from -7 to 12 was normal :oops:

maybe different techies have different ideas of what should be optimal? :thinking:
Mecoconuts;6540007

Another thing you could try is changing your DNS Servers from Virgin to … Another thing you could try is changing your DNS Servers from Virgin to OpenDNS ! :thumbsup:Virgin have problems with their DNS servers sometimes.http://www.opendns.com/If it makes no difference it's easily changed back.

kk ill give it a try cheers.

EDIT: DNS set up.

did you have any luck with the DNS thingy????
good luck with tomorrow, hope they find whats wrong :thumbsup:

Original Poster

*roosterpots*;6544734

did you have any luck with the DNS thingy????good luck with tomorrow, … did you have any luck with the DNS thingy????good luck with tomorrow, hope they find whats wrong :thumbsup:

The DNS thing didnt seem to make much if any difference but as its no different ill keep using it anyways or at least for now.
They are actually coming on Wednesday...they got the date wrong :x

Virgin media free 7 day retention newsgroup. Best thing about virgin
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition51460
    2. Magazine competitions - Issue 42 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1515
    3. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums11
    4. Win an all-inclusive holiday to Antigua, including flights!11

See more discussions