Expired

Virgin Media, can I leave if the speeds are abysmal?

Found 19th Nov 2014
Evening HotUKDeals,

So I have been with Virgin Media for about 8 years at 5 different addresses. These addresses have been dotted around the west midlands. I moved from Wolverhampton (100Mb/s, never had an issue) to Dudley. I moved here in May and was advised by the moving team something along the lines of "Oh we have some good news for you sir you are moving to a 150MB enabled area so we can upgrade you free of charge". "Great", so I thought...

When I moved in I did the usual geek thing of testing the speeds. What do I get? 7Mb/s. I tried it again to make sure. Again 7Mb/s. I thought perhaps there is something going down so would try again the next day when I got back from work. Again the sub 10Mb/s mark. So I called them up, "Yes sir we can see you're in a high utilisation area so you will be experiencing slower speeds. We can offer you a £12.50 discount until we fix this sometime in July." I thought fine a couple of months of crap speeds at a discounted rate, I can live with that. Come July, same thing, now the date is October, come October, it's now January 2015.....

Bearing in mind this is a premium service (circa £40 a month now) and I'm paying £27.50 (well that’s how it averages out because of their bizarre discount system). I'm still paying more than 60% of the cost when I am getting 5% of the speed...

I appreciate the figures above are not exact, however they are not far off the mark. My question to you lovely people is do I have to stay with these guys until the twelve months are up or can I legaly leave as they are clearly providing nowhere near the speeds advertised. Also talking to account I was advised I was going to be "upgraded" when moving when I was actually severely downgraded. Might be worthwhile mentioning they were also aware of the high utilisation so really I think they had no tight to say I was going to be upgraded when they knew there were issues in the area.

Care to share your two cents HUKD?

Regards,

Knotty

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3922076070.png
Community Updates
13 Comments
Yes, you should be able to leave without penalty. I would write a complaint to Head Office first, and then go from there. If you get the go ahead from Head office, then things should run a lot smoother without any surprise fees popping up for your final bill.

And just double-checking, are you using an Ethernet cable?
Yeah, cable straight from the hub to my PC.

Edit: Also forgot to say thank you for the response.
Edited by: "Knottyboy" 19th Nov 2014
I would write a complaint too! You are paying for a service that is obviously not being provided. Think trading standards threat, OffCom threats etc.

End day if you wanted 7mb the price would be a LOT cheaper! Paying over £25 a month for 150mb and only getting 7mb WOW. I mean I wouldn;t be bothered personally if was 120mb but a whole 142MB slower speed. You are getting done. They should refund you some of the cost as compensation. Check their slowest tariff speed and tell them you want the difference paid as you are not getting what you have paid for.

Write a letter to their head office addressed to the executive complaints team. Be factual and to the point and research your consumer rights. Worth getting in touch with CAB as they give free impartial advice, also trading standards and Offcom (the industry regulator) these will all give you impartial advice.
Hmm. This does not seem right to me, Virgin cable internet service/speeds tend to either work and you connected (ie 100mbit service, 98 - 100mbit) or does not work and you get a low speed or more then likely no speed/no connection. It is not like ADSL.

I would suggest asking them to test or getting someone else to test it with a different computer.
groenleader

Hmm. This does not seem right to me, Virgin cable internet service/speeds … Hmm. This does not seem right to me, Virgin cable internet service/speeds tend to either work and you connected (ie 100mbit service, 98 - 100mbit) or does not work and you get a low speed or more then likely no speed/no connection. It is not like ADSL.I would suggest asking them to test or getting someone else to test it with a different computer.

I have done, and my experience has been the same as yours until I moved to Dudley. Their response is high utilisation in my area, basically they've sold too many for the backbone and it's now highly saturated =/. Come 3 am when no one is usuing it, I admit it's fine, however this really doesn't helpe me as I leave for work 6am and return 6 30 PM, like most people with full time jobs. Again on the weekends it's high saturated. Quite frustrating as when I was in Wolverhampton I got 100 dead on all the time.
I'm on ADSL and I have a faster download speed. However your upload speed is amazing compared to mine.
This is very strange
I have the same issue as a new customer. I had an engineer visit who said utilisation is at 90% 80% of the time. He said it should be no more than 50%. In his notes he put that I should have a full refund. I know it's a pain ringing every month but I get free internet until they fix it
If the area is that saturated I would check with who ever you decide to move to that they do not have similar problems.
Have you contacted them about it?
What is it exactly that 7mbs is not enough to do anyway?

toshapetriji

Steam/Origin/Uplay games, new ones are pushing 50GB. That's a lot of waiting.

I have the same issue as a new customer. I had an engineer visit who said … I have the same issue as a new customer. I had an engineer visit who said utilisation is at 90% 80% of the time. He said it should be no more than 50%. In his notes he put that I should have a full refund. I know it's a pain ringing every month but I get free internet until they fix it

Yeah I might have to go down this route as it's taking the ****.

If the area is that saturated I would check with who ever you decide to … If the area is that saturated I would check with who ever you decide to move to that they do not have similar problems.

I'd hope that it is because Virgin has the majority of clients, leaving ADSL (the alternative option here) a little more open.

Yeah a few times and now I'm just getting **** off.

Well ontop of that rev6 said (big PC gamer) I opted for the fastes as we have Now TV / Amazon prime. This is so the mrs can watch a program whilst I game online. (Speed test solely done on PC only, ie no other devices connected or switched on for that matter). The streams suffer quite a bit on 7Mbs (which actualy I am supprised at) and if I try and game at the same time, well lets say I just don't even bother at the moment. XBL cuts out regularly as well. Think I have completed maybe 5 rounds of COD:AW since I got it.

I have the same issue as a new customer. I had an engineer visit who … I have the same issue as a new customer. I had an engineer visit who said utilisation is at 90% 80% of the time. He said it should be no more than 50%. In his notes he put that I should have a full refund. I know it's a pain ringing every month but I get free internet until they fix it

If the area is that saturated I would check with who ever you decide to … If the area is that saturated I would check with who ever you decide to move to that they do not have similar problems.

Your router power frequencies could be off, an engineer can fix. Keep trying, make them do everything they can and if you're not happy I'm sure they can get you out of contract without buying out.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants