Virgin Media Cancellation

Found 30th Nov 2015
I have just rung up to cancel virgin media after being with them for 5 years. I was on the Big Easy package basically but was getting charged more. Was thinking of moving to BT to get BT Sport but turns out you need an outdoor aerial for the freeview channels. When I cancelled they said they would send out boxes to collect their equipment. I have Sky TV with Sky sports and Movies (£65 a month) and was really looking for a cheap way to get BT Sport. I am really hoping now that they call back offering a better deal and would ideally like the Big Kahuna Sports bundle for £50 odd so I can cancel Sky and have internet as well, was just wondering what the process will involve and what my chances are of them calling back asking for me to stay. They said I had to give 30 days notice.

Any advice would be appreciated
Community Updates
35 Comments
If they are sending out the boxes then it's too late....
The retentions team will call back on your LANDLINE number, you should get Bt sports free for 6 months plus a decent discount on your monthly bill.

As for your aerial quandary it's a low cost job to have one fitted, you could even fit one yourself in the loft.
zombrex

If they are sending out the boxes then it's too late....

Lol.
they will not call back unless you place an order to transfer your vm line with the new provider. provider will then contact vm. only then will they bend over backwards to offer literally anything you ask for.
redmouse2

they will not call back unless you place an order to transfer your vm … they will not call back unless you place an order to transfer your vm line with the new provider. provider will then contact vm. only then will they bend over backwards to offer literally anything you ask for.

No other company is using Virgins fibre network.
So is it worth me getting the BT deal that's available atm. 38mb bt tv + sport for £28 a month. Get a £100 pre paid card and £180 cashback through quidco
aqs123

So is it worth me getting the BT deal that's available atm. 38mb bt tv + … So is it worth me getting the BT deal that's available atm. 38mb bt tv + sport for £28 a month. Get a £100 pre paid card and £180 cashback through quidco

Chillax and wait for the call from VM.
trans, i was talking about porting out the vm phone line.i.e sky will put in a request to vm to release customers' no. at this point vm will call you.
redmouse2

trans, i was talking about porting out the vm phone line.i.e sky will put … trans, i was talking about porting out the vm phone line.i.e sky will put in a request to vm to release customers' no. at this point vm will call you.

Fair enough, going by the last 4 years personal experience they will call without going any further than giving them the 30 days notice.
Get an Amazon Fire TV Box or Fire TV Stick ....install Kodi on it and you'll get ALL the Sports channels for FREE. (including BT Sport)....;)
Mecoconuts

Get an Amazon Fire TV Box or Fire TV Stick ....install Kodi on it and … Get an Amazon Fire TV Box or Fire TV Stick ....install Kodi on it and you'll get ALL the Sports channels for FREE. (including BT Sport)....;)

Is Kodi the same as XBMC? which app do you find the best for sports?
What would be the price to OP if they registered as a new customer? If this meets with OP's price they can call back and ask to speak to retentions and just be upfront that you wanted to cancel and was expecting a retentions call back and if they will not give discount that's acceptable just tell them that you can get a new customer deal and it just means setting up new user/account - which in VM's interest is pointless.

HTH
redmouse2

trans, i was talking about porting out the vm phone line.i.e sky will put … trans, i was talking about porting out the vm phone line.i.e sky will put in a request to vm to release customers' no. at this point vm will call you.

Incorrect. Once a line request transfer has been sent, the old provider is not allowed to contact you with a offer. You can contact them if you want but they cannot contact you.
Edited by: "Myriad" 30th Nov 2015
daniellndn

Plenty of threads (just in HUKD) covering Kodi (formerly xbmc) but some addons are ineffective depending on ISP etc
Just to add you may not need another device as Kodi can be installed on many different devices
Edited by: "philphil61" 30th Nov 2015
philphil61

Plenty of threads (just in HUKD) covering Kodi (formerly xbmc) but some … Plenty of threads (just in HUKD) covering Kodi (formerly xbmc) but some addons are ineffective depending on ISP etcJust to add you may not need another device as Kodi can be installed on many different devices

Thanks...ill take a look.
daniellndn

Yes it is ....even better install TVMC it'll install all the most common Apps for you AND keep them updated ...;)

tvaddons.ag/
i rang this week was on the kahuna said im leaving they give me sport kahuna for 40pm well happy was paying 75 without sky sports

9 months £40
so should i just wait it out then, because the BT deal ends tonight?
philphil61

What would be the price to OP if they registered as a new customer? If … What would be the price to OP if they registered as a new customer? If this meets with OP's price they can call back and ask to speak to retentions and just be upfront that you wanted to cancel and was expecting a retentions call back and if they will not give discount that's acceptable just tell them that you can get a new customer deal and it just means setting up new user/account - which in VM's interest is pointless.HTH

The Big Kahuna Sports is £43 + £17.99 phone line for 9 months then £83 + £17.99 phone line for 9 months, i'm looking to pay about £50 a month.
Edited by: "aqs123" 30th Nov 2015
aqs123

The Big Kahuna Sports is £43 + £17.99 phone line for 9 months then £83 + £ … The Big Kahuna Sports is £43 + £17.99 phone line for 9 months then £83 + £17.99 phone line for 9 months, i'm looking to pay about £50 a month.

​its less than that ive got it and its 55 quid all in
ashmac

​its less than that ive got it and its 55 quid all in

What package do you have?
got a letter last week. virgin raising monthly price AGAIN by £4 ish.

i really want to change but the thought of swapping to a poor internet and loosing bt sport is painful
Havince

got a letter last week. virgin raising monthly price AGAIN by £4 ish. i … got a letter last week. virgin raising monthly price AGAIN by £4 ish. i really want to change but the thought of swapping to a poor internet and loosing bt sport is painful

That's the reason i have been with them so long, their internet is second to none. I reguarly play xbox live, and touchwood can't remember the last time i dropped connection online.
Havince

got a letter last week. virgin raising monthly price AGAIN by £4 ish. i … got a letter last week. virgin raising monthly price AGAIN by £4 ish. i really want to change but the thought of swapping to a poor internet and loosing bt sport is painful

get Ruya mate and you'll never look back. my measly 10meg Sky adsl connection can even handle it. all in glorious 1080p
Dont switch from VM to whatever, i tried it last year because I was getting charged about £50+ a month for a pretty standard package, 20MB speeds, TV medium (i think) and a telephone line (evening free calls). I was in the process of switching to PlusNet and wanted to get my phone number/line carried over to PlusNet but it didnt go according to plan. After many phone calls, VM released my phone number, but PlusNet werent able to get it in time, so I called VM asking what they could do for me if i stayed with them, after a bit of haggling, they upgraded my internet (to 50MB), dropped my TV package (coz we never really watched it) and got unlimited free landline calls, all for £30-£40, still lost my landline number of 23+ years but think i came out on top.

Im absolutely loving VM download speeds, there have been a few hiccups here n there in the past but havnet had a problem for months now
I was going to cancel tv package and go to sky but keep vm phone and broadband. phoned then and said as above. They asked what would I get from sky and how much. They matched it and guaranteed it for 18 months ? and upgrade me to super hub and 200mgb speed can get regularly 70 - 80 now on 150
Hi there,
Thanks for letting us know you’re returning your Virgin Media kit. The great news is, it’s easy – and absolutely free!
We’ll send you some prepaid postal returns packaging. It’ll be delivered by our friendly courier. It’s small enough to be posted through most letterboxes. Or, failing that, we’ll leave it somewhere safe for you.

Just received this email from Virgin Media, what are my chances of them calling me back to keep me as a customer now? Or should I start looking for another provider or go grovelling back to them?
I'd try and go back with virgin... download speeds are faster than any other provider - you don't get throttled and have unlimited downloads.. get free BT sport with them and HD channels.

I'm on the big kahuna XL tv with Tivo and an extra V+HD box, 200mb BB I pay £65 a month. happy with my services
arcangel111

I'd try and go back with virgin... download speeds are faster than any … I'd try and go back with virgin... download speeds are faster than any other provider - you don't get throttled and have unlimited downloads.. get free BT sport with them and HD channels.I'm on the big kahuna XL tv with Tivo and an extra V+HD box, 200mb BB I pay £65 a month. happy with my services

They do throttle, mainly during "peak" times.
my.virginmedia.com/tra…tml
I never notice mine being throttled and I download stuff all the time - but then again it doesn't take long to DL anything on 200mb
Something not right with my connection, I have till the end of the month to decide what to do due to the price increase.

I can download 3 or 4 movies at any one time on the laptop and use my PC at the same time..........sort of!

Laptop is wi-fi, PC is hard wired with a very short 2 metre Cat 5e Ethernet cable. As soon as I start downloading on the laptop my PC crawls to a halt internet wise. I am talking dropping from 100mbs to less than 20mbs. 20mbs should be fine still but I could not even watch 4OD on my PC as it kept buffering. I had an idea what the problem was so I took some photos.

The first is when the laptop was downloading 4 movies total combined under 4GB (not a lot by any means).

The second photo was taken as I had just paused a couple of downloads on the laptop leaving 2 running so did another speed test.

The last one is a few seconds after I had stopped all downloads on the laptop.

Can you see the problem I am having here?

Even a lot of the time when I just have my mian PC on and watching catchup on TV direct from the BBC or ITV etc I get loads of buffering, just trying to watch the snooker the other day was an absolute nightmare, every 10 seconds it was buffering for the best part of 30 minutes. After that it was OK but I am almost 100% certain that Virgin to throttle, otherwise why would I have these problems? I am the only person living in my house so it is not getting a lot of use other than what I use the internet for.

I will stay with Virgin of course and get this sorted as there is nothing better out there and I cannot get BT fibre where I live, but Virgin are really not all they are cracked up to be to be honest.

I also get a lot of ADSL dropouts with the green arrow instead of blue so I think the router may be misfiring, any idea if they will give me the new AC router when I renew my contract after negotiating a better price upon the cancellation process? (Currently on Superhub 2).

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h198/TaylorSAFC/WP_20151119_14_47_16_Pro_zpsjgncnisc.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h198/TaylorSAFC/WP_20151119_14_48_49_Pro_zpsj4rjtjvj.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h198/TaylorSAFC/WP_20151119_14_50_24_Pro_zpsiqzwecmp.jpg

Edited by: "NEtech" 2nd Dec 2015
Just got sent the boxes to send the equipment back. Just wondering what my options are now, and whether I should still be expecting a call from them to keep me?
aqs123

Just got sent the boxes to send the equipment back. Just wondering what … Just got sent the boxes to send the equipment back. Just wondering what my options are now, and whether I should still be expecting a call from them to keep me?

They sent me the boxes to send the equipment (the TV box thing) back too, but seeing as though i stayed with them, WITHOUT the TV package, I havent heard from them since. The TV box is still sitting in my garage collecting dust
adz2010

They sent me the boxes to send the equipment (the TV box thing) back too, … They sent me the boxes to send the equipment (the TV box thing) back too, but seeing as though i stayed with them, WITHOUT the TV package, I havent heard from them since. The TV box is still sitting in my garage collecting dust

Did you call them to stay, or did they call you?
aqs123

Did you call them to stay, or did they call you?

IF i remember correctly, i called them. Just say to them that you've been with them for x amount of years and you're considering on going with another provider as they're cheaper. They'll probably put you through their retention team (the people who have the power to upgrade you/offer you deals), then just go from there
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions