Virgin media cancellation

Posted 3rd Jan
I tried to cancel my broadband contract with virgin media as it’s expiring next month and price is increasing a lot. I did the same last year but retentions team called and offered a good deal so I stayed. This time the operator told me he’s putting a note on the system to make sure nobody from the team calls me like they did last year and he’s putting my cancellation request through. My question is has this happened to anyone before and if yes did they not receive any calls from Virgin trying to keep them as customers? Any advice on what I should do?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

27 Comments
I’d ask why his putting a note on your file as you would be open to better offers from the retentions team if the price was right - call back, speak to someone else and ask for the note not to call to be removed!
Virgin media cs is weird they can be really nice or right bell ends. I got called a 'f ing retard' when I asked if I could get a better price on sky sports admittedly he thought he was on mute

I had put my cancellation in this year and no one called me even on day of cancellation so had to go back with tail between legs and negotiated a small discount
Edited by: "adamwilko007" 3rd Jan
Went through the cancellations, got told to return the equipment which I was fine with, next day get a call offering better deals than one advertised on Black Friday
Sounds like it is a hit-and-miss with whom you speak to so call them again.

I phoned Virgin around BF and was offered the same monthly cost so signed up for another year (£48 a month with full house bundle, down from the £70+ if I did nothing).
When I mentioned I was getting cashback from my new supplier - that was the end of the conversation with retentions & who then processed my cancellation with no further callback this time. Annoyingly sent me an email a few days later thanking me for agreeing to a new 12 month broadband only contract at £55 a month. Still trying to cancel it - should have been disconnected yesterday.
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 3rd Jan
Looks like you got someone on a bad day, or there getting wise to everyone bluffing the 'I'd like to cancel'..

Give them another call, explain you expected a call back as the chap you spoke to last time couldn't put through your cancellation request and you 'may' get someone nicer who may just ask why your leaving, that's your opportunity to explain your happy with the service but the price is forcing you elsewhere...
I think it's all become a bit of a 'game' now to ISP's. It's like playing "chicken" to see who will fold first. They are very wise to the fact that we'd rather not change supplier (unless you ARE desperate to leave - in which case you wouldn't be trying to get a new deal) so the 'game' begins and they call your bluff. In previous dealings I have called back a day or two later and tell them that I felt I should really give them one final chance to keep me before I cancel. That usually does the trick.

I called mine yesterday as my contract ends next month. As usual, the 'first line' team couldn't offer me anything good - in fact they told me I couldn't get certain things I had included anymore. New contract was going to cost more (no surprise there!) - same deals as for new customers, blah, blah, blah. All nonsense, as I am well aware and now weary of over the many years. I suppose they DO have a job to do though...

Asked for "Customer Loyalty Team" and got transferred - then cut off! Called back and got put through again. This time, got a lovely person who didn't try and bluff or argue. I just told them what I needed as a minimum and they went away to confer with Manager. Came back; to my surprise; with a much better offer and package than I am currently on. I'm still wondering why really (when they didn't actually need to) but time will tell...

Answer is, keep trying. You have nothing to lose (other than a bit of 'face' if you're bothered) and either be honest and say you don't wish to leave but your hand is being forced - or lie through your teeth (and anything else you can lie through!) and tell them you can get better deals elsewhere but were always happy with the service you have received - therefore would they be prepared to match your best (made up but realistic) deal?

Have you been with them for several years or just the two contracts?
This happened with me with sky, never got a call back or offers sent to my house again
I was told in my cancellation call that this was the last offer, and she was in the retention department.
Got a call the next day Knocking a further £7 off.
captainbeaky03/01/2020 12:17

When I mentioned I was getting cashback from my new supplier - that was …When I mentioned I was getting cashback from my new supplier - that was the end of the conversation with retentions & who then processed my cancellation with no further callback this time. Annoyingly sent me an email a few days later thanking me for agreeing to a new 12 month broadband only contract at £55 a month. Still trying to cancel it - should have been disconnected yesterday.

I got the full house, sky movies, 200mb and phone £58
I called virgin again and this time got a nicer guy who couldn’t really offer me a suitable deal so he said he’ll call me back a couple of weeks later just before my disconnection date if I’m ok with that and see if he can match my current deal. I’ve already received the sorry you’re leaving email. Just have to wait now I guess!
Phsycronix03/01/2020 12:41

I think it's all become a bit of a 'game' now to ISP's. It's like playing …I think it's all become a bit of a 'game' now to ISP's. It's like playing "chicken" to see who will fold first. They are very wise to the fact that we'd rather not change supplier (unless you ARE desperate to leave - in which case you wouldn't be trying to get a new deal) so the 'game' begins and they call your bluff. In previous dealings I have called back a day or two later and tell them that I felt I should really give them one final chance to keep me before I cancel. That usually does the trick.I called mine yesterday as my contract ends next month. As usual, the 'first line' team couldn't offer me anything good - in fact they told me I couldn't get certain things I had included anymore. New contract was going to cost more (no surprise there!) - same deals as for new customers, blah, blah, blah. All nonsense, as I am well aware and now weary of over the many years. I suppose they DO have a job to do though...Asked for "Customer Loyalty Team" and got transferred - then cut off! Called back and got put through again. This time, got a lovely person who didn't try and bluff or argue. I just told them what I needed as a minimum and they went away to confer with Manager. Came back; to my surprise; with a much better offer and package than I am currently on. I'm still wondering why really (when they didn't actually need to) but time will tell...Answer is, keep trying. You have nothing to lose (other than a bit of 'face' if you're bothered) and either be honest and say you don't wish to leave but your hand is being forced - or lie through your teeth (and anything else you can lie through!) and tell them you can get better deals elsewhere but were always happy with the service you have received - therefore would they be prepared to match your best (made up but realistic) deal?Have you been with them for several years or just the two contracts?

At my old address I was with them for 2 years but the account was in my name, this time for the last 2 years account has been in my hubby’s name. So can’t really tell them I’ve been a long term customer.
I gave my notice yesterday, got a call today from their loyalty team. Currently on M200 for £30, they offered me £29 (£1 Saving LOL), won’t even add any extra perks in free like evening calls, so only broadband and weekend calls for £29...do I accept or try to negotiate further...?
I gave notice yesterday. Call back from retentions today. Offered max it tv. 200mb broadband. Basic phone. And second v6 box for £46 a month. Was paying £75.50 for a worse package currently. Accepted and staying for 12 months. The retentions number is ‭0345 454 1098‬ - tell them you missed a callback and see if they’ll offer you better
kmj12304/01/2020 21:52

I gave notice yesterday. Call back from retentions today. Offered max it …I gave notice yesterday. Call back from retentions today. Offered max it tv. 200mb broadband. Basic phone. And second v6 box for £46 a month. Was paying £75.50 for a worse package currently. Accepted and staying for 12 months. The retentions number is ‭0345 454 1098‬ - tell them you missed a callback and see if they’ll offer you better

Were you sent disconnection email after you gave notice?
Mfbham04/01/2020 21:54

Were you sent disconnection email after you gave notice?

Yes. Almost straight away. My brother had problems cancelling with them though.

I gave notice yesterday. Call back from retentions today. Offered max it …I gave notice yesterday. Call back from retentions today. Offered max it tv. 200mb broadband. Basic phone. And second v6 box for £46 a month. Was paying £75.50 for a worse package currently. Accepted and staying for 12 months. The retentions number is ‭0345 454 1098‬ - tell them you missed a callback and see if they’ll offer you better

So I gave in and called retentions on the number provided after waiting 4 days for a call from retentions which never came.

Was offered 100mb broadband only deal for £24 a month. I was paying £25 for 100mb broadband & landline in my expired contract so not very happy with this offer!

I haven’t accepted the deal yet and am supposed to receive a call back from same operator tomorrow morning with my decision. Any advice on what I should do? Accept deal or wait for better offer? The guy on the phone was adamant this was the best and only deal on offer.
Mfbham07/01/2020 13:33

So I gave in and called retentions on the number provided after waiting 4 …So I gave in and called retentions on the number provided after waiting 4 days for a call from retentions which never came. Was offered 100mb broadband only deal for £24 a month. I was paying £25 for 100mb broadband & landline in my expired contract so not very happy with this offer! I haven’t accepted the deal yet and am supposed to receive a call back from same operator tomorrow morning with my decision. Any advice on what I should do? Accept deal or wait for better offer? The guy on the phone was adamant this was the best and only deal on offer.

How desperate are you to stay with them? The £1 saving is a standard offer for removing phone line so no deal.

I would wait until closer to disconnection date and if no call back then move elsewhere. Then in 12 months you’ll be eligible for new customer deals again
As above, gave 30 days notice yesterday and got a call today - they gave me bog standard new customer deals even though I'm meant to have a £15 discount (and an expired £20 discount which boosted my monthly price).

They used to have a second team who called later on that offered better deals - do they still exist?

Also are there any short term broadband and phone contracts that we can join and then rejoin virgin as a new customer with quidco etc?
I never received any call backs after cancelling and even after calling retentions and being told I’ll be called back this morning nobody did.

Looks like Virgin not interested in my custom.

Thanks for posting that number, i just gave them a call as my contract expires next month,
i was on a deal i negotiated this time last year.. 100mb BB with weekend phone calls and basic TV for £35 a month
and it was due to go up to £56 a month

i told them that i dont use the land line at all, i have never plugged a phone into it and i havnt watched TV for a year (since ch4 lost rights to show F1)
they offered me to keep the deal i was on for £34.50 or have BB only for £25
so i went with 100mb BB only for £25 a month
Edited by: "cainer1" 8th Jan
Zak_K08/01/2020 12:02

As above, gave 30 days notice yesterday and got a call today - they gave …As above, gave 30 days notice yesterday and got a call today - they gave me bog standard new customer deals even though I'm meant to have a £15 discount (and an expired £20 discount which boosted my monthly price).They used to have a second team who called later on that offered better deals - do they still exist?Also are there any short term broadband and phone contracts that we can join and then rejoin virgin as a new customer with quidco etc?

New customer deals are normally pretty good compared to any existing customer prices.
Mfbham08/01/2020 14:01

I never received any call backs after cancelling and even after calling …I never received any call backs after cancelling and even after calling retentions and being told I’ll be called back this morning nobody did.Looks like Virgin not interested in my custom.

Martin Lewis says post office are running a deal on BB at the moment!
They have been overcharging me for the last 4 months. Made a complaint. Thwn went to the obudsman atill being charged after wining the case. Had a recording of the offer they made for retentions. They lied to me.
Lesson. Make sure there are notes on your account detailing your offer and double check while your in the cooling off period. Take names and dates. My recording got £150 out of them. Had i known they would still charge me after agreeing to pay me i would have asked for more compensation.
Cancelled yesterday as our 200mb BB only had lost another discount this month.

Stay with me, we have had a number of discounts since the October 2018 price increase but went from £17 for a few months to £20 for 6 months plus, to £26 no idea why but £9 for two months and back to £26 until this month when it went to £41.

asked why I was leaving told them it’s because of the lost discounts, woman in the UK oddly, said it would go up to £46 in March but she could do an offer of £38. Told her no as we were paying £20 at the beginning of last year. Went away and came back with £33.

Told her no and we cancelled, this afternoon a call from retentions, why leaving told her the same thing because we were paying £20 she went and checked and 15 seconds later she came back with £20 for 12 months. Took longer to get through security.

deals are still to be had if you have marketing preferences set up correctly and you get the call back.
eslick09/01/2020 22:42

Cancelled yesterday as our 200mb BB only had lost another discount this …Cancelled yesterday as our 200mb BB only had lost another discount this month. Stay with me, we have had a number of discounts since the October 2018 price increase but went from £17 for a few months to £20 for 6 months plus, to £26 no idea why but £9 for two months and back to £26 until this month when it went to £41.asked why I was leaving told them it’s because of the lost discounts, woman in the UK oddly, said it would go up to £46 in March but she could do an offer of £38. Told her no as we were paying £20 at the beginning of last year. Went away and came back with £33.Told her no and we cancelled, this afternoon a call from retentions, why leaving told her the same thing because we were paying £20 she went and checked and 15 seconds later she came back with £20 for 12 months. Took longer to get through security.deals are still to be had if you have marketing preferences set up correctly and you get the call back.

When you say marketing preferences do you mean ticking the box on your virgin media account my preference section allowing virgin to contact you? I’ve had that setting to yes for over a year and rechecked before putting cancellation request but still no calls from retentions unfortunately.
Mfbham10/01/2020 17:09

When you say marketing preferences do you mean ticking the box on your …When you say marketing preferences do you mean ticking the box on your virgin media account my preference section allowing virgin to contact you? I’ve had that setting to yes for over a year and rechecked before putting cancellation request but still no calls from retentions unfortunately.

Yep many don’t have it set after the GDPR changes. Not everyone gets a call, but we have been lucky to always get one.

maybe try and cancel the cancellation or you could try and blag getting put through to them. Did that a couple of years ago after retentions offer wasn’t great and got a better deal.
Edited by: "eslick" 10th Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions