Virgin Media Data Breach

Posted 5th Mar
Virgin Media have tonight announced they are aware of a breach whereby a database was accessed without permission.

"We recently became aware that some personal information, stored on one of our databases has been accessed without permission. Our investigation is ongoing and we have contacted affected customers and the Information Commissioner’s Office."

Posting to raise awareness.

virginmedia.com/hel…ion
Community Updates
Lead deal editor
We are very sorry to have to inform you that we recently became aware that some of your personal information, stored on one of our databases has been accessed without permission. Our investigation is ongoing but we currently understand that the database was accessible from at least 19 April 2019 and that the information has been recently accessed. To reassure you, the database did NOT include any of your passwords or financial details, such as bank account number or credit card information.

Groups

17 Comments
Boots, Tesco and now VM... Hmmm...
guru40405/03/2020 19:30

Boots, Tesco and now VM... Hmmm...

Nothing like Boots or Tesco. People attempting to use passwords already stolen on another website is nothing like this.
I just got the email too and I'm no longer with VM... Haven't been with them for a few years now.
This would explain the spammy email I got a few weeks ago telling me my payment had declined and needed to repay.
I got the email. Haven't been with them for about ten years and the email address they contacted on came a good few years after that. Database is the one they use for marketing? Interesting.. Wonder where they got my email address from.
I've been wanting to leave for a while... You guys reckon I could use this as a reason to without paying the early leaving fee/fine?
nicmall05/03/2020 21:08

I've been wanting to leave for a while... You guys reckon I could use this …I've been wanting to leave for a while... You guys reckon I could use this as a reason to without paying the early leaving fee/fine?

Worth a try
They have had email problems for ages with peoples emails being spoofed or hacked to send phishing emails to other people and not just your own contacts.

They have poor security on email mailboxes, routers and even access to their website. They send you this and tell you to improve your security but you can’t as their security won’t let you as it’s still stuck in the 1990’s. There is no 2FA or any password rules allowing complex password to be used so they are risking their own customer access but won’t invest to help it.

Pretty poor from a supposed tech giant when you can’t ensure your own data is secure, let alone trust them to keep it secure for you
Got the email, explains the huge amount of spam emails and phone calls i have got over the past few months i guess. Really annoying as a lot of the spam calls are for my mobile number, which isn't even with virgin!
deleted571296
Had the email been with them 20+ years time to change me thinks
Explains the loads of spam been getting.
This statement is so childish or patronising, ""We recently became aware that some personal information, stored on one of our databases has been accessed without permission."

Who would ask for permission! A child may take a cake and eat it without permission <== lesson learnt.

The grown up, mature adult public speaking is, "We recently became aware that some personal information, stored on one of our databases has been accessed in spite of our protection and world-class security measures"
deadnheadless05/03/2020 21:11

Got the email, explains the huge amount of spam emails and phone calls i …Got the email, explains the huge amount of spam emails and phone calls i have got over the past few months i guess.

Interesting. My mum gets constant junk/spam calls to her VM landline, she has never given the number out.
10 months and they found out now. Shows they aren't very serious with keeping out details safe.
What happens now?
Do VM get a fine?
Are we, as customers entitled to compensation?
guru40405/03/2020 22:31

Interesting. My mum gets constant junk/spam calls to her VM landline, she …Interesting. My mum gets constant junk/spam calls to her VM landline, she has never given the number out.

I get up to 2 calls a day wanting to give a refund from my overpaid Amazon subscription that I do not have!!!!
I am registered with the TPS but it is ineffective.
I refuse to pay virgin for the call screening service.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants