that prices were going up (again) by £3.99. Started looking around for
another deal, but I could not find anything offering the broadband speed
that VM was offering. Anyway called saying that I wanted to leave blah
blah, I was paying £78.50 for 100Mb, Full House TV (XL), Talk More
International, going up to £82.49 from November. I agreed to pay the
line rental up front saving £36 for the year, it upgraded the broadband
to 200Mb, replace my modem and Tivo box, free installation. I will be
paying £56.46 for the 12 months duration (bearing in mind that I have
paid the line rental up front for the year). Is this a decent deal?
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
I don't think so.

They've given you stuff that I guess you don't really need - are there any benefits for having 200mb (have you found 100mb too slow). The new Tivo box might be nice but do you want/need it? Again with the Superhub 3 - I got mine for £7.99 - I have found it an improvement on the Superhub 2 but others suggest not.

The price they've offered appears to be the standard website price - virginmedia.com/sho…tml - about £75/month. A new customer would get this for £59/month for 12 months.

The deals people get offered appear to be very variable but I guess it is linked to Virgin's assessment of how likely you are to leave - i.e. what other options you have? If your area can't get BT Fibre and can only get the standard broadband then I think you don't get offered a very good deal!

I think a price at the new customer level of £59/month - so for you around £40/month having paid for the Line Rental Saver in advance - is a realistic target. I'd also consider do you need everything you have in the package or can you reduce it down?

My contract also renews in November but I'm waiting till I hear what their suggested new price will be before calling - I'm on 200mb but the basic TV and phone packages but happy to drop both to get a decent price.

Good luck!
Just left virgin, after talking to retentions there policy seems to be get more stuff for same money or a little discount of what you have. Put my 30 days notice in never received a call back but luckily signed up to MSE deal that was on here a few weeks ago. Agree with van above
leejay51 m ago

Just left virgin, after talking to retentions there policy seems to be get …Just left virgin, after talking to retentions there policy seems to be get more stuff for same money or a little discount of what you have. Put my 30 days notice in never received a call back but luckily signed up to MSE deal that was on here a few weeks ago. Agree with van above

Did you have an active landline? I didn't get callbacks and then someone told me they only call on the landline which then worked and they basically said, name your price.
cossy34 m ago

Did you have an active landline? I didn't get callbacks and then someone …Did you have an active landline? I didn't get callbacks and then someone told me they only call on the landline which then worked and they basically said, name your price.

They call mobiles as well called us back next day and pay less now than was paying for more speed. You have to be set up for virgin marketing call or they can’t call you.
Thanks Van, Does BT offers the same speed for the broadband?

I have heard of people leaving Virgin and rejoining in order to benefit the new joiner offers. Does anyone know how long you have to be away from VM in order to qualify to be a new joiner?

TIA
Van197315 m ago

Broadband possibiliities: …Broadband possibiliities: https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com/?_ga=2.131664012.248507657.1502698157-331360860.1493753105 amd https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/speed-checker/ Use the latter one to identify the maximum speed you will get with BT - this is the max speed that other providers will give you as they use the same network.Have a look at this thread where dipakpatel91 claimed they quit and rejoined immediately! https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/virgin-cancellation-2779557#comment-31890777

Thank you!! Can't really afford to lose home phone number (had the same number for almost 20 years and can't be arsed to change it). I think i will stick with my deal, and next year maybe looking at dropping some of the services (TV and phone levels).
So how much does your new deal work out per month?
Gollywood16 m ago

£56.46, plus the line rental that i have paid for the whole year £196/12 = £16.33 total to 72.79, just under £6 that i am paying currently and just under £10 cheaper after price increase and that's with an increase of broadband speed. Probably not the best deal around but i have been quite happy with Virgin Media so far and the broadband speed is the most important thing right now. So until a new provider comes out with super fast broadband deals, I am stuck with VM
Edited by: "jeannot18" 29th Sep 2017
Gollywood10 m ago

I was wondering this too.

OP asks if they've got a good deal but fail to give relevant information.

They've not stated how much the upfront line rental has cost them.....
jeannot1811 m ago

£56.46, plus the line rental that i have paid for the whole year £196/12 = …£56.46, plus the line rental that i have paid for the whole year £196/12 = £16.33 total to 72.79, just under £6 that i am paying currently and just under £10 cheaper after price increase and that's with an increase of broadband speed. Probably not the best deal around but i have been quite happy with Virgin Media so far and the broadband speed is the most important thing right now. So until a new provider comes out with super fast broadband deals, I am stuck with VM

So £10 cheaper & you are getting more services.

Only you can answer if its a good deal ultimately.
I was on the same position as you at the beginning of this month. Had threatened to leave but they would not budge. Like you OP I have been with VM and its predecessors for about 25 years and cannot afford to change my landline number.

The only way one can port a number is to go to BT and then move out to another third part which is not straight forward.

So I removed some services and signed up for another year.
cossy32 h, 21 m ago

Did you have an active landline? I didn't get callbacks and then someone …Did you have an active landline? I didn't get callbacks and then someone told me they only call on the landline which then worked and they basically said, name your price.

Yes....but funny thing was he cut it of on the day i rang, luckily noticed a few hours later and got it reinstated, maybe because I didn't take up his fantastic deal
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants