Virgin Media Deal Request

We are currently still on the old analogue Virgin Media box, have never got round to changing it because really only use the package for phone, broadband and have freeview box for other stuff.

Been with Virgin (well, NTL) for about 10 years now and never really been given anything extra special from them - never phoned up to get things cheaper or whatever just because the deal always seemed alright.

Right now paying £36 /month for 10mb broadband, basic tv package and phoneline. Phoned up to finally get digital upgrade and they said it would be £28/month for M package with phoneline and 10mb broadband, but that it would cost £35 for the box. Also installation is free.

It is only the standard box we are receiving, but I'd like to get the V+ box instead, can only see the V+ box for £75 though. Can anyone suggest anything to try for haggling purposes? I know there's quidco for about £65 for new customers but I'm sure if I give them the threat of leaving then signing up with quidco they'll tell me I'm not allowed to do that. What does everyone else pay? Is there better deals?

Thanks a lot :-)

19 Comments

just call to cancel it, say that you are thinking of leaving to sky as they have given you a better offer

you will get a much better deal than what they offered you

SuperEd

hassony;6503897

just call to cancel it, say that you are thinking of leaving to sky as … just call to cancel it, say that you are thinking of leaving to sky as they have given you a better offeryou will get a much better deal than what they offered you

+1

I'm paying the same but with the XL TV and a V+ box. I've been with them two years. At the end of contract I just asked them what deal they could do for me as I was thinking of going to sky. They came up with all these loyalty discounts. I paid £30 for the engineer to set up the V+ but after ten years you should get that!

I agree with all the above. I've been with Virgin a few years now and every year I call and ask what they can do, i blag a bit and say i've seen X Y and Z with Sky for a certain amount and they normally beat it(i got free V+ installation this way).

I actually need to call them myself to see if they can offer me a V+ box to go with my new TV

davidn84;6503938

I've been with Virgin a few years now .

its time you get yourself a new girlfriend:thumbsup:

Original Poster

hassony;6503956

Haha.

Thanks guys, I'll have a browse on the sky website and see if there's anything genuine there I can say I'm leaving to get, otherwise I'll just make something up.

So it won't go tits up and leave me with no tv or anything then? I mean, it's not likely that they'll take me literally is it?

hassony;6503956

lol...:oops:

Its because of the girlfriend i got the package i'm on. She's never off the phone!! nothin to do with the internet for my xbox ;-)

phoenix_af;6503976

Haha.Thanks guys, I'll have a browse on the sky website and see if … Haha.Thanks guys, I'll have a browse on the sky website and see if there's anything genuine there I can say I'm leaving to get, otherwise I'll just make something up.So it won't go tits up and leave me with no tv or anything then? I mean, it's not likely that they'll take me literally is it?

you can always call them back after an hour or so saying that you've changed your mind

they don't cut you off straight away

phoenix_af;6503976

Haha.Thanks guys, I'll have a browse on the sky website and see if … Haha.Thanks guys, I'll have a browse on the sky website and see if there's anything genuine there I can say I'm leaving to get, otherwise I'll just make something up.So it won't go tits up and leave me with no tv or anything then? I mean, it's not likely that they'll take me literally is it?

If you see something on Sky website, just tell Virgin you've seen it but after speaking to Sky they lowered the price ;-)

And if they start taking you literally just hang up, lol. Call again half an hour later and try again with a different advisor

phoenix_af;6503976

No, they will just find you a better package. When they started asking me what prices sky had offered I just said I couldn't remember. They seemed fine with that and just started on what they could offer me if I stayed.

My experience with retentions has always been good,no need to be bolshy and threaten to leave etc,just be polite and ask for the best deal.
Bear in mind that there is only so much discount they can give,they are a business after all.

Good luck,give them a call and I am sure you will get something suitable.:)

Original Poster

Thanks a lot guys. Phoned up, got 20mb unlimited usage broadband, calls package, M tv package (not too bothered about that) with V+ hd box for £30/month, no installation fee or anything so happy enough. Did get offered XL package £39/month but I think that's too much. She said there was absolutely nothing cheaper she could do, lol so I just believe her. Better than what I was getting before so can't complain.

Now I'll find out everyone else has a much better deal lol

Sounds good to me:thumbsup:

is that the unlimited call package?

Original Poster

hassony;6504308

is that the unlimited call package?

Yes :-)

excellent

will be calling them tonight asking them for this deal (I am paying £30 for basic TV, unlimited calls and £10mb broadband)

Original Poster

hassony;6504336

excellentwill be calling them tonight asking them for this deal (I am … excellentwill be calling them tonight asking them for this deal (I am paying £30 for basic TV, unlimited calls and £10mb broadband)

In hindsight I think I should've been more greedy, when she offered me everything plus the XL package for £39, maybe I could've got it if I'd offered to pay £35/month. Ah well

Banned

Blimey! You've been paying £36 per month. I get that package for £18.50 which had just gone up from £15.50

I reckon they owe you £1000 at least in overpayments!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…67
    2. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64545
    3. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1134
    4. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk66

See more discussions