Expired

Virgin Media discount ending for me

Found 25th Apr 2014
Hey guys

Just wanted to get some advice.

My virgin monthly discount has ended so getting charged gull price for the broadband...

Anyone else been in that situation and how did you play it?

Im going to speak to retentions tomorrow and see if they can apply the loyalty discount again. Last one was applied 2 years ago.

If anyone has been in the same position, did you manage to get another loyalty discount applied again?

Ive been with virgin for about 8 years and im happy with the service. But BT have recently rolled out fibre in my area so might be forced to move.

What annoyed me was the lack of coms from virgin about my discount ending. Its only when i got my bill that realised.

Plus the fact that at the start of the month i paid for the line rental upfront.

Plus i phoned up in feb about tje price increases and nothing was mentioned about discount ending...

Ok..mini rant over
Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
15 Comments
I was with ntl/ virgin for 11 years, this year they wouldn't offer a loyalty discount so I walked. Joined and joined sky.
I got all tv, fiber broadband guaranteed 28.5mbps and phone unlimited, they put an open reach line into the property and provided all the equipment, they also gave me and my sister a £75 voucher each. 12 month contract all this for £37 a month including line rental. But I had initial problems with my broadband, which is now fixed, but because of that they knocked another £10 pm off my bill so I only pay £27per month. Excellent deal!
damo1972

I was with ntl/ virgin for 11 years, this year they wouldn't offer a … I was with ntl/ virgin for 11 years, this year they wouldn't offer a loyalty discount so I walked. Joined and joined sky.I got all tv, fiber broadband guaranteed 28.5mbps and phone unlimited, they put an open reach line into the property and provided all the equipment, they also gave me and my sister a £75 voucher each. 12 month contract all this for £37 a month including line rental. But I had initial problems with my broadband, which is now fixed, but because of that they knocked another £10 pm off my bill so I only pay £27per month. Excellent deal!

Problem is, ive already paid upfront for my line rental so would need just BB unless i can cancel the phone without getting stung.

Do sky offer fibre BB?
EN1GMA

Problem is, ive already paid upfront for my line rental so would need … Problem is, ive already paid upfront for my line rental so would need just BB unless i can cancel the phone without getting stung. Do sky offer fibre BB?

sky do offer fibre, and I know people will **** it off, but unless you have virgin broadband which is cable, all other broadband uses open reach lines so is the same! And effectively the same service if it is delivered via your phone line, as open reach manage all the exchanges and networks.
Firstly I would get all the figures down for what BT & SKY are charging, as a new customer, for comparative BEFORE you ring them, try moneysavingexpert.com/sho…ble for hints and tips or http://www.moneysupermarket.com/broadband/packages/broadband-phone-and-tv/
I'm ruthless for getting deals and freebies but I have to be 'nice and amenable/friendly' not annoyed or aggressive (difficult for a Scouser!) that doesn't work too often, only in certain circumstances will I lose my rag knowing a company can not be spoken to in any other way to get results.
Just do your homework before you ring them.
Good Luck!
So whats the difference between cable and fibre from a connection quality point of view.

Is bt infinity cable?

I dont have a bt phone line as from day one, ive been with virgin....

Surprised that person above with 11 years loyalty did not get loyalty bonus extended.
Thanks for the advice guys. Yeah, i dont speak to companies rudely and find that being polite works well.

Like i said, im happy with the service, and even halving my loyalty would have been bearable but completely wacking it off...

Hopefully ill get a nice person on the other end at retentions and will sort me out.
EN1GMA

Thanks for the advice guys. Yeah, i dont speak to companies rudely and … Thanks for the advice guys. Yeah, i dont speak to companies rudely and find that being polite works well. Like i said, im happy with the service, and even halving my loyalty would have been bearable but completely wacking it off...Hopefully ill get a nice person on the other end at retentions and will sort me out.

Once you have the comparative figures, when you ring them, start the conversation with: 'Hi, can you tell me how much notice I have to give to cancel my contract(s) with you, is it four or eight weeks, and when can I cancel my direct debit?'. If they don't offer you a great deal (which they should for a long standing customer, shame on them if they don't) if they ask should they proceed with your cancellation, be prepared to either say yes, because you know you can get a better deal else where or say, 'I will call back to confirm tonight once my partner gets home from work'.
There is a chance if you say yes to cancel, they might call back the next day with a good package deal to stay it you can't guarantee it.
Let us all know how you get on.
May The Force Be With You!
iv been with virgin just over 2 year and recently upgraded to a TiVo box with m+ services and 60mb broadband m phone package ( only got this as it worked out cheaper) and a HD box in my bedroom. i got this for £42 a month but was meant to be 50 so iv gt an £8 loyalty discount, I also have a virgin mobile so that might be the reason I got it but I'm not sure.
I have had the £8 loyalty discount. Been a customer since 12+ years now. I knew for definite wouldn't be leaving so I was never on a contract prior and decided on getting on one, which they offered 12 month contract this deal -100mb & Phone XL, already paid line rental upfront. They said they would keep the discount for me I would get it for a further 18months instead of only the 12 month contract.

I have a friend on the TV, PHONE & 100MB broadband, been with VM for 14+ years and it was the 1st time they offered him £5 discount ONLY for 6 months, he keeps telling them he should be offered an extension but they said try nearer to the time off when the discount ends. He is considering leaving as the total for the packages is around £50.

Edited by: "default12" 26th Apr 2014
just an update, got the loyalty discount back.
What annoyed me was the lack of coms from virgin about my discount ending. Its only when i got my bill that realised.

the loyalty end date is clearly written on every bill
chocci

What annoyed me was the lack of coms from virgin about my discount … What annoyed me was the lack of coms from virgin about my discount ending. Its only when i got my bill that realised.the loyalty end date is clearly written on every bill

is it?

thats good to know for future ref. never check my bill...just the amount on the email they send
I have 60MB BB with Virgin Media. Only Broadband.

I pay £18 a month for it. Basically I told them I want to cancel as I am moving to BT (I Was on 30mb bb with virgin at the time) and told them I can get BT Fibre 60mb for cheaper than I'm paying.

They offered me a deal of £20 a month (60mb is normally £25). I accepted it. Then I saw on here someone was paying £18 a month for 60mb bb so I went back to Virgin the next day and told them that my friend is getting his bb for £18 a month. I said a little white lie too and said I went to one of the virgin promo stores in town and they said I could get this deal too if I rang in. He said he didn't know of the deal but would credit my account for the first month which would make it £18 a month on average for the year. I agreed. He then said 'TBH mate when 6 months are up, give us a call and just say that you want us to review your account for a better deal and you'll get something'.

Got two months left so will give them a call and see what happens.

Just remember, never go for the first offer they offer you as the offers work in tiers. I used to work for retentions for a well known communications company that has the majority of BB customers. We would get more bonus for us if we re-contracted someone but gave them less discount eg: if you knocked £2 off the normal price we'd get like £2 a pop. If we knocked £6 off we'd only get 20p. We would still do those odd 20p customers as end day we need to hit our targets. But if you do too many 20p deals then the manager pulls you up as obviously not good for business if everyone gets them.

Best tip is to be polite, kind and also portray you know what you're doing. Simply tell them you're shopping around and know it's about price and you want a better deal if you can provide one. Best not to get into an argument or be arrogant.

You'll always be offered a better deal. But beware ... sometimes, or most of the time they will normally offer you the new customer deals. like £20 for 6 months then £25 afterwards. So best to know what package you want and the current new price for that.

If you don't like the price. When the advisor tells you. STOP for a few seconds. Don't say anything. Then say 'THE ADVISORS NAME HERE I know you mean well and the deal you're providing may be great for someone else. But for me I still don't think there is value in it. Don't get me wrong. I do like Virgin Media and never had a problem. But. Money is tight at the moment and. Unless you get better your deal by someway. Then I may have to consider moving my services. I hope you understand I don't want to be wasting your time or mine. But I do feel you should be able to offer me someone a lot better. Maybe you can speak with your manager?"

9 times of out 10. They'll pop you on hold and 'speak' to there manager ... when in fact they'll just chat to the guy next to them to see how their days going and then come back to you with a better offer. We used to do this all the time. 'I've spoken to my manager and he has authorised this deal for you etc'.

I hope this helps you out. Sorry if it's long.

Please do let us know what they offer you. Also beware of add ons they may throw at you like TV (great if you want it but just a thought).

PS: remember to use the advisors name when you ask them things. It always made me feel nice when customers use my name in their calls. Just make it like you're talking to a friend. They warm to you and give you a better deal.

Edited by: "krazyasif786" 26th Apr 2014
Oh one more thing.

If it doesn't work the first time ... then try again.

We used to get some customers who just ring for a better deal ... you look at the notes and they've called us like 5 times and spoken to different advisors who all offered different packages.

Just be nice to them when you call and make their day ... that way they will make you day too:)
thanks for the inside info there mate. I've already phoned up and got my loyalty discount.

yup, I spoke to the lady politely and spoke to her addressing her with her first name.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants