Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Virgin Media Early Termination Fees

Posted 10th May
Does anyone know how Virgin Media work out their early termination fees?

most suppliers provide a breakdown of costs they save by contracts ending early and discount this heavily. Virgin it would appear throw a dart at a board somewhere between the UK and their call centres and that appears to be the % saving based on what I can find.

any help would be most appreciated. thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
Thanks. I've seen this but to me it's clear as mud.

Possibly because they don't charge anyone the same price as someone else so they can't really be more specific.

The OpenReach bunch give a cost breakdown per 'service' on subscription.

Thanks though
I only had a quick look but it seems like it's close to being whatever your monthly charge is minus 20% ish. I'm sure the cancellation of services like this means automatically you are not liable for the vat cost, hence the reduced cost x N months left on contract.
a666andy10/05/2020 10:29

I only had a quick look but it seems like it's close to being whatever …I only had a quick look but it seems like it's close to being whatever your monthly charge is minus 20% ish. I'm sure the cancellation of services like this means automatically you are not liable for the vat cost, hence the reduced cost x N months left on contract.

Yeah looks that way.

Shame it's so high compared to others.

I have ~3 months left on contract but really need to get that cost gone!

I left Now Broadband at another install address only last month, again with 3 months on contract and it only cost me a £10.

Might be the best option to 'upgrade' to something on a one month term and then leave me thinks.
Ivor-NoReasonToCare10/05/2020 10:32

Yeah looks that way.Shame it's so high compared to others.I have ~3 months …Yeah looks that way.Shame it's so high compared to others.I have ~3 months left on contract but really need to get that cost gone!I left Now Broadband at another install address only last month, again with 3 months on contract and it only cost me a £10.Might be the best option to 'upgrade' to something on a one month term and then leave me thinks.

Some providers offer to cover costs why not see if they will help buy out the contract. Most likely you need service from someone else.

Yeah looks that way.Shame it's so high compared to others.I have ~3 months …Yeah looks that way.Shame it's so high compared to others.I have ~3 months left on contract but really need to get that cost gone!I left Now Broadband at another install address only last month, again with 3 months on contract and it only cost me a £10.Might be the best option to 'upgrade' to something on a one month term and then leave me thinks.

Talk to customer retention
Spoke to them earlier today. Turns out that my cost to leave now Vs cost to leave in 3 months has a saving of £7

Need to look at a 30 day option.

Thanks for your help everyone. Back to the drawing board.

...I have ~3 months left on contract but really need to get that cost …...I have ~3 months left on contract but really need to get that cost gone!I left Now Broadband at another install address only last month, again with 3 months on contract and it only cost me a £10.Might be the best option to 'upgrade' to something on a one month term and then leave me thinks.

As a loyal customer see if you can upgrade to any new VM contract; any entirely new contract that requires VM to recite the t&c applicable to the new offer including the cancellation options. The t&c on a new contract purchased off-premises will include the usual mandatory 14 days cooling off period cancellation option. When the contract is implemented, immediately exercise the 14 days cancellation option = zero cost instant termination.
AndyRoyd10/05/2020 18:35

As a loyal customer see if you can upgrade to any new VM contract; any …As a loyal customer see if you can upgrade to any new VM contract; any entirely new contract that requires VM to recite the t&c applicable to the new offer including the cancellation options. The t&c on a new contract purchased off-premises will include the usual mandatory 14 days cooling off period cancellation option. When the contract is implemented, immediately exercise the 14 days cancellation option = zero cost instant termination.

Yes. I did this recently with Sky, too many eggs and too many baskets.

The Virgin upgrades appear to require an activation fee, whilst not too expensive it's not as nice as free!

I'm just weighing up the options, but appreciate the input!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions