Virgin media ethernet - superhub 3 and v6 box

Found 3rd Oct 2017
I have VM coming at the end of the week to upgrade my TiVo box and bb superhub2 to the v6 box and superhub 3, after reading reviews it looks like the v6 box needs to be connected to the superhub via rj45/ Ethernet, my problem is that all 4 Ethernet ports are currently in use (ps4/tv/pc & powerline) so I won't have any free ports for the v6 box. I don't want to change any of these connections to wifi so is it advisable for me to order an Ethernet splitter in advance of the installation or will the VM engineer supply me with one? I know the price is minimal but I don't want to spend when I don't need to.

Also, the reviews of the super hub 3 are terrible, are they really that bad? Should I tell them I want to stick with the hub2?
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Original Poster
Also, I am on 200mb bb, will the superhub make any difference to my bb speeds?
the v6 can do wifi, the virgin technician will leave the sh2 in if you want
Edited by: "jb66" 3rd Oct 2017
Original Poster
jb668 m ago

the v6 can do wifi

Are there any performance issues say for streaming 4k on YouTube over wifi?

Also, why are VM offering sh3 upgrades if they are as bad as the reviews I'm reading? Is there any advantages?
Edited by: "barriey" 3rd Oct 2017
barriey5 m ago

Are there any performance issues say for streaming 4k on YouTube over wifi?

Ive had no issues with the sh3, or the sh2 when i had that.

The technician wont have a switch, its either ethernet or wifi, im watching 4k now on a smart tv over wifi
Edited by: "jb66" 3rd Oct 2017
Original Poster
jb666 m ago

Ive had no issues with the sh3, or the sh2 when i had that.The technician …Ive had no issues with the sh3, or the sh2 when i had that.The technician wont have a switch, its either ethernet or wifi, im watching 4k now on a smart tv over wifi

Thank you, I guess it makes sense to try wifi first and see how it goes, I'm just a bit concerned about the sh3 after reading reviews, had no problems with the sh2 but there must be a reason VM go to the expense of suggesting upgrading to the sh3
I have a SH3 - found it better than the SH2 - stronger wifi signals.

Only disappointment is very slow changing of settings etc when logging in to 192.168.0.1 ........
Original Poster
Van197310 m ago

I have a SH3 - found it better than the SH2 - stronger wifi signals. …I have a SH3 - found it better than the SH2 - stronger wifi signals. Only disappointment is very slow changing of settings etc when logging in to 192.168.0.1 ........

Is that just with the initial setting it up? I can live with that
Edited by: "barriey" 3rd Oct 2017
barriey19 m ago

Is that just with the initial setting it up? I can live with that

it is slow every time I use it - but I don't need to use it very often now! Other than that (a dissappointment) it has been fine, no problems and much improved signal strength.
A cheap ethernet gigabit 8 port switch and an extra plug socket is all you need.
Original Poster
Can any one else offer their experience with the sh3? Still not sure.
barriey2 h, 26 m ago

Can any one else offer their experience with the sh3? Still not sure.

Good Router but terrible front end. Especially sucks that you can't change its default IP address from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1 and it hates my smart switch with a passion so I can't use the webfront end.
For me SH3 initial set up of 30 mins or more . What? Claiming to be the fastest bb why does it take so long in this day and age.

Wifi is about the same as sh2.

Only problem I have is that whenever I need to print wirelessly I need to reconfigure my printer then my phone, mac etc can recognise the printer. It only lasts for 5 minutes a best so I have to be quick.
I had my TiVo box updated to a V6 last month. I said that I had the SH2 and would that also need upgrading? I was told no as it's perfectly fine to handle the 200mb I already had. Not had any problems with the V6 box and SH2 so will leave it as is
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants