Virgin Media Failing to Connect me to Services

Posted 29th Apr
Afternoon HUKDealers,

I signed up to VM long before the lockdown and arranged an initial date of 8th April to start my services.
On the 7th a pre install engineer appears and then tells me i wont have the services as there is no connectivity into my home.
Then on the 8th i get an email saying my install has been pushed to the 29th April (today)
The reason was they needed to dig up infront of my house. "construction" they call it.
I appreciate covid is slowing things down however if a company has promised a start date and then delayed it then the onus is on them.

So an engineer appears 10AM today ready to install and tells me the construction work still has not been done, meaning that he can't fit the services in today.

I have moved to this property on the 7th and based the move around the fact that Virgin Engineers are still installing and as a result I moved into the property knowing that I should be online by the 8th. As I am working from home.

The engineer is not sure when I will be rescheduled in for but I was wondering what are my consumer rights here - I have been TV/Wifi less for 3 weeks now and it seems like its going to go on for at least another week.

Any idea folks?

Cheers and stay safe
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

26 Comments
Get mobile broadband in the interim.
IamMT29/04/2020 12:30

Get mobile broadband in the interim.

Im aware. Thats what i have had to do thanks but would still like to know as a consumer what are my rights etc etc.
Talk Talk where still working .
My mother in Law had new TV , Phone, and Internet set up last week .
You just need to social distance when the engineer arrives.
Ibrahim_Hussain29/04/2020 12:31

Im aware. Thats what i have had to do thanks but would still like to know …Im aware. Thats what i have had to do thanks but would still like to know as a consumer what are my rights etc etc.

You ask about your rights in your detailed brief through the lens of Covid-19, while in "lockdown"? No legal eagle would fly by, they are self-isolating.
splender29/04/2020 12:45

You ask about your rights in your detailed brief through the lens of …You ask about your rights in your detailed brief through the lens of Covid-19, while in "lockdown"? No legal eagle would fly by, they are self-isolating.

Not sure what you mean. But if a company is still sending engineers out then they’re clearly not too bothered about self isolation regulations...
Ibrahim_Hussain29/04/2020 12:31

Im aware. Thats what i have had to do thanks but would still like to know …Im aware. Thats what i have had to do thanks but would still like to know as a consumer what are my rights etc etc.

As a consumer it is unrealistic to expect business level support for a consumer product being used for business.
Normally you would get £5 per day credit but not sure if covid gives them wiggle room to not pay this
You could always cancel. Don't take this the wrong way but I think borderline selfish to moan about lack of service installation given the circumstances. I would imagine that they have their work cut out keeping existing people online as well as keeping their infrastructure going considering how vital it is and the amount of strain its under, look at the outages we've had over the past couple of days.
jb6629/04/2020 12:51

Normally you would get £5 per day credit but not sure if covid gives them …Normally you would get £5 per day credit but not sure if covid gives them wiggle room to not pay this

Yeah i read up about that on Ofcom website. But i think if you’re still going to promise people of start dates installations etc you should still be subject to the same Ofcom regulatory “fines” so to speak.
freakstyler29/04/2020 12:54

You could always cancel. Don't take this the wrong way but I think …You could always cancel. Don't take this the wrong way but I think borderline selfish to moan about lack of service installation given the circumstances. I would imagine that they have their work cut out keeping existing people online as well as keeping their infrastructure going considering how vital it is and the amount of strain its under, look at the outages we've had over the past couple of days.

I doubt you would say the same if your internet went down though for 3 weeks plus. If a company is outright stating engineers are still visiting to install albeit wearing PPE and social distancing which is fine by me. So long as we’re distancing and the job is getting done. I don’t mind. I think I am not being selfish as my livelihood depends on a stable connection in order to put food on the table for my wife and our 4 month old baby. I appreciate COVID is a real issue but so long as the distancing and ppe is being worn and everyones staying protected I don’t see it as selfish. Thanks for your reply though.
Ibrahim_Hussain29/04/2020 12:46

Not sure what you mean. But if a company is still sending engineers out …Not sure what you mean. But if a company is still sending engineers out then they’re clearly not too bothered about self isolation regulations...

Sorry, I try again.
You ask about your rights in your detailed brief through the lens of Covid-19, while in "lockdown"?
The legal eagle squawks in an unprecedented way, "Nay, Ney, Niy, Noy, Nuy!"
Ibrahim_Hussain29/04/2020 12:57

I doubt you would say the same if your internet went down though for 3 …I doubt you would say the same if your internet went down though for 3 weeks plus. If a company is outright stating engineers are still visiting to install albeit wearing PPE and social distancing which is fine by me. So long as we’re distancing and the job is getting done. I don’t mind. I think I am not being selfish as my livelihood depends on a stable connection in order to put food on the table for my wife and our 4 month old baby. I appreciate COVID is a real issue but so long as the distancing and ppe is being worn and everyones staying protected I don’t see it as selfish. Thanks for your reply though.

If my livelihood depended on a stable internet connection I would always have a backup in place. Like others have said you could always go down the route of mobile broadband as a stop gap measure. The issue you have here, as someone else pointed out, I assume your a consumer customer, therefore further down the pecking order when it comes to support.
have you started paying money for your non-existent service?

if so, ask them for a refund and either cancel your contract with them or accept there will be delay in supply and say you only expect to start paying when satisfactory service is available.

if not, then there is little redress, if any. you can either wait for contract fulfilment or just cancel

in terms of your consumer rights, you can choose to talk to the consumer people at citizens advice
freakstyler29/04/2020 13:02

If my livelihood depended on a stable internet connection I would always …If my livelihood depended on a stable internet connection I would always have a backup in place. Like others have said you could always go down the route of mobile broadband as a stop gap measure. The issue you have here, as someone else pointed out, I assume your a consumer customer, therefore further down the pecking order when it comes to support.

Well i do.. for now at a cost. Besides it’s mainly only during lockdown i’m having to rely on it.

Thanks for answering my query though.
Ibrahim_Hussain29/04/2020 13:04

Well i do.. for now at a cost. Besides it’s mainly only during lockdown i …Well i do.. for now at a cost. Besides it’s mainly only during lockdown i’m having to rely on it. Thanks for answering my query though.

No friendly neighbours connected via BT you could borrow WiFi from or run a long Ethernet cable?
freakstyler29/04/2020 13:07

No friendly neighbours connected via BT you could borrow WiFi from or run …No friendly neighbours connected via BT you could borrow WiFi from or run a long Ethernet cable?

Just moved into the area - and as you can imagine with distancing i’m sure no one wants me to come to their door to ask for WiFi passwords after speaking to them two or three times in passing.
Ibrahim_Hussain29/04/2020 13:08

Just moved into the area - and as you can imagine with distancing i’m sure …Just moved into the area - and as you can imagine with distancing i’m sure no one wants me to come to their door to ask for WiFi passwords after speaking to them two or three times in passing.

Ah, well it was worth a suggestion anyway.
Ibrahim_Hussain29/04/2020 13:08

Just moved into the area - and as you can imagine with distancing i’m sure …Just moved into the area - and as you can imagine with distancing i’m sure no one wants me to come to their door to ask for WiFi passwords after speaking to them two or three times in passing.

it’s unlikely An openreach connection would need to dig up to add a line why don’t you change provider. You’ve not been connected yet to you are not really a customer your only route is to cancel.
Dannyrobbo29/04/2020 13:46

it’s unlikely An openreach connection would need to dig up to add a line w …it’s unlikely An openreach connection would need to dig up to add a line why don’t you change provider. You’ve not been connected yet to you are not really a customer your only route is to cancel.

I appreciate i have that option available to me but due to uncertainty of when the other companies are available to come out I am reluctant to. Previous owner to this property seemed like he never really used the internet and the cables outside were all knackered according to the engineers. I have submitted emails to the Executive team and was told of a call back or communication back but nothing since Friday.
Ibrahim_Hussain29/04/2020 13:49

I appreciate i have that option available to me but due to uncertainty of …I appreciate i have that option available to me but due to uncertainty of when the other companies are available to come out I am reluctant to. Previous owner to this property seemed like he never really used the internet and the cables outside were all knackered according to the engineers. I have submitted emails to the Executive team and was told of a call back or communication back but nothing since Friday.

this is where you are snookered though, Virgin media don’t dig your road up it’s a contract team employed by virgin. If there are no contractors available or are on jobs that are more critical you won’t have a chance.

Installs are still going on and you will have a far better chance of getting connected if the work doesn’t require digging a road up to get you internet and it’s unlikely an Openreach connection would need this as you will already be connected via a phone line. If you need internet to work this is probably your best bet to at least get some dates from them.
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 29th Apr
I had this issue last year and it took a 2/3 months to arrange for them to dig up the footpath and connect me (so I was stuck paying Sky BB until then).

They have to apply for a permit with the council and that’s what takes a lot of time (depending on how crap the council is).

I did moan as dates were moved and I didn’t get notification so they gave me a couple of months credit to cover my Sky Bill but they won’t charge you for their service until it starts in my experience.

Do you have any connection right now with someone else? If not, perhaps mobile broadband is a temporary solution as someone else said.
WackoJackoUK29/04/2020 21:32

I had this issue last year and it took a 2/3 months to arrange for them to …I had this issue last year and it took a 2/3 months to arrange for them to dig up the footpath and connect me (so I was stuck paying Sky BB until then). They have to apply for a permit with the council and that’s what takes a lot of time (depending on how crap the council is). I did moan as dates were moved and I didn’t get notification so they gave me a couple of months credit to cover my Sky Bill but they won’t charge you for their service until it starts in my experience.Do you have any connection right now with someone else? If not, perhaps mobile broadband is a temporary solution as someone else said.

Literally the same boat here. They are likely awaiting a permit but the engineer that came said we need to get you online today. They may be able to apply for an emergency permit. Either he was just telling me what i wanted to hear or he was being legit about it. i’m currently tethering on a phone for my work however the data is getting battered and coming to the end of month will now have to renew at a cost to potentially see me through another week at least.
Frustrating as I’ve had to basically use minimal internet and do not even have any TV facilities here as we’ve just moved.

During the lockdown its exceptionally more difficult to last without Wifi and TV as that’s the two things people are using to keep sane and entertained in this lockdown period.
Nag their customers services. I forget the name of the team and I didn't keep the number but I found this on Virgin Forum for you - 0800 052 1734.
WackoJackoUK29/04/2020 22:00

Nag their customers services. I forget the name of the team and I didn't …Nag their customers services. I forget the name of the team and I didn't keep the number but I found this on Virgin Forum for you - 0800 052 1734.

I’ve nagged to the complaints dept today. I’m keen to see if i get a phone call as i had written to CEO who handed down to the executive team to deal and I was told someone had looked into it. However the events that transpired today give me more ammunition whenever they do decide to pluck up the courage to speak over the phone to a customer that just wants some internet and entertainment back in his life.
I'm surprised they're even able to progress with any residential installation. Most non essential works by most utilities companies are currently on hold. Not to say that they aren't helping out where they can in the case of key workers, or critical network infrastructure. I currently have works on hold, all be it through western power to have the street dug up to have power cables rerouted, and I've been told this will not happen until procedures return to normal.
For dig work in the street/highway, there have to be notices served to the council for permission to work. That could be causing your delay.
If you are a key worker and its essential to get a line in, then make sure this is mentioned to them. If your not a key worker, then its likely you will have to wait.
Its also possible that if you already have a BT/ Openreach line in the property, then they may be able to activate this from the exchange without a visit to the property, you would need to contact a provider to get that checked.
mykeyb29/04/2020 22:17

I'm surprised they're even able to progress with any residential …I'm surprised they're even able to progress with any residential installation. Most non essential works by most utilities companies are currently on hold. Not to say that they aren't helping out where they can in the case of key workers, or critical network infrastructure. I currently have works on hold, all be it through western power to have the street dug up to have power cables rerouted, and I've been told this will not happen until procedures return to normal. For dig work in the street/highway, there have to be notices served to the council for permission to work. That could be causing your delay. If you are a key worker and its essential to get a line in, then make sure this is mentioned to them. If your not a key worker, then its likely you will have to wait.Its also possible that if you already have a BT/ Openreach line in the property, then they may be able to activate this from the exchange without a visit to the property, you would need to contact a provider to get that checked.

I mean i only expect it as they have Not communicated anything otherwise. i’m sure it is the dig work that is delaying but they should have come to check the property on the date they initially set out when i signed up.
Is there any way i can find out that i have openreach or bt line - not too savvy at dealing with broadband/cables at the mo. Cheers.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions